Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Can we help make this forum better?

Neer86
School: Appalachian State

Can we help make this forum better?

Unread post by Neer86 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:01 pm

Way too often I, and others, get this message when trying to access Yosef's Cabin.

Resource Limit Is Reached
The website is temporarily unable to service your request as it exceeded resource limit. Please try again later.

Especially during football games. Today it happened when the football schedule was released, which shouldn't be that big of a deal. I'm on desktop, and maybe this isn't a problem on mobile devices, but I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is.

I understand websites cost money. I pledge $50 bucks if it will help get upgrades. Is this possible? I think some other members here would chip in, even if it's only 5 or 10 bucks, to help make the Cabin run smoother.

A gofundme thing would be easy enough to do.

Administrator/powers-that-be...is this possible?

@biggie

biggie
Site Admin

Re: Can we help make this forum better?

Unread post by biggie » Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm

I do not have that knowledge/power. Would need to get appst89 to respond.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:05 pm

When does pledging a few bucks to help defray costs transform into expectations of receiving premium content, extra perks, etc. for their donations?

And are admins are ready/willing/able to deliver that type of thing? Just asking questions here.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:20 pm

Bootsy wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 5:05 pm
When does pledging a few bucks to help defray costs transform into expectations of receiving premium content, extra perks, etc. for their donations?

And are admins are ready/willing/able to deliver that type of thing? Just asking questions here.
I think there are two different topics. My guess is that we need a bigger pipe to handle the Internet traffic to the server that the site sits on when the resource limit is reached. (I'd gladly kick in a donation for that)

Premium content behind a paywall is a whole different animal.

I'm thankful for the format that the Cabin has. Compared with ninernation.net the format is much better.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:21 pm

I have been around here long enough to know we don't need more bandwidth for when people want to bitch out our own folks for losing or not winning by a large enough margin. I veto the whole idea, with respect to the OP.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:34 pm

biggie wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:35 pm
I do not have that knowledge/power. Would need to get appst89 to respond.
I don't own the forum. That would be for Yosef to decide. I'm certainly in for a few bucks if he decides he wants to do it.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:42 am

I’ll donate a couple bucks to help offset hosting costs. I’ve been a member of this board (and Delphi before it) for 15+ years. I figure I owe it to give some back for having to put up with me.

Let’s start charging per post, and multiply that number every time someone quotes a previously quoted post without trimming. This place would be lightning fast in about a month.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:53 am

A GoFundMe is fine if the issue for extra band width is a one time expenditure, but I doubt it is. Maintaining the expanded environment would almost certainly cost more so sustaining that would probably involve charging fees for membership. That's something that the owners have (rightfully in my opinion) worked hard to avoid. I know it's frustrating to get the error message. I got it this morning. That said, charging any kind of recurring fee would almost certainly kill the site.

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:25 am

Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:53 am
A GoFundMe is fine if the issue for extra band width is a one time expenditure, but I doubt it is. Maintaining the expanded environment would almost certainly cost more so sustaining that would probably involve charging fees for membership. That's something that the owners have (rightfully in my opinion) worked hard to avoid. I know it's frustrating to get the error message. I got it this morning. That said, charging any kind of recurring fee would almost certainly kill the site.
I agree. I’ve gotten the “Resource Limit” message many times, but usually it’s only when there is big news we’re all trying to read/comment on. That being said, I can’t remember ever not being able to refresh a few times and get to where I want to be. I have just never seen it as an issue, and really don’t think extra expenses need to be incurred to “fix” it.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 am

Only time I really get the "resource limit" message is on gameday. It's especially common when the team isn't playing up to the stratospheric standards of our fans, LOL!

All kidding aside, some of my other favorite forums request a small donation each year. In return you get a special badge beside your name to signify you donate to the cause. And it isn't a heavy lift for the admin, either.

One example of this is talk bass.com, a site dedicated to bass guitar stuff that I frequent.

Re: a premium area...there's already a ton of good dialogue and value on this site. I don't see a reason to have a full-blown premium area. Building out premium content is extremely time and labor-intensive, and I'd imagine the owner and/or admins probably have full schedules already.

Many of us donate a lot of time to this site, and there's no more precious resource than that. Being asked to cough up a few bucks each year would be completely reasonable, IMHO.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:57 am

booneboy92 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:25 am
Yosef84 wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:53 am
I agree. I’ve gotten the “Resource Limit” message many times, but usually it’s only when there is big news we’re all trying to read/comment on. That being said, I can’t remember ever not being able to refresh a few times and get to where I want to be. I have just never seen it as an issue, and really don’t think extra expenses need to be incurred to “fix” it.
To be clear, I'm not opposed to collecting contributions, especially if there is a benefit to a one time expenditure. If maintenance is an issue, something else might be needed. It would be great to keep this as a free site supported by voluntary contributions as needed.

If the site ever moves toward a premium service (required fees), the obvious core of the content is probably already in place: The Moose Lodge. We would certainly have to make sure that making it into a premium service wouldn't put Moose in conflict with his role at 24/7.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 pm

Is there actually a suggestion to make the board a pay-per-view/subscription board? I think that would be bad.
Give 'em hell!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:42 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:27 pm
Is there actually a suggestion to make the board a pay-per-view/subscription board? I think that would be bad.
Don't think anyone has proposed that as an actual recommendation. I mentioned that upgrading could be more than a one time expenditure due to maintenance and then the possibility of premium service was mentioned. It's all just discussion at this point.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:49 pm

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=14233&p=174802#p17480244

This is a topic that has been talked about on here before. Here is are his words on donations to this website.

If you want to search through all the posts that Yosef has made here is the link for that.

search.php?st=0&sk=t&sd=d&sr=posts&author=yosef

Blackshirt68

Unread post by Blackshirt68 » Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:02 am

I go to The Cabin to get away from the constant political bickering. If I want such comments, I can go to the net or TV. Let’s keep football our topic.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”