Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

RIP Rick Bonnell

appstanding
School: Appalachian State

RIP Rick Bonnell

Unread post by appstanding » Thu Jun 03, 2021 9:25 am

Sorry to see that Rick Bonnell, Hornets/NBA beat writer since 1988 for The Charlotte Observer, passed away unexpectedly earlier in the week. I always appreciated the thoughtfulness and fairness of his work. In recent years I occasionally caught him on WFNZ or 730 The Game in Charlotte. He was as dedicated and enthusiastic toward the end of his career as he was when he first started. Wonderful tribute from the Observer's Scott Fowler.

https://www.charlotteobserver.com/sport ... 35193.html

fjblair

Re: RIP Rick Bonnell

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Jun 03, 2021 10:17 am

RIP. I read his columns and articles for many, many years.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Jun 03, 2021 2:08 pm

Same here....

APPChad90

Unread post by APPChad90 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 9:46 am

Such sad news to hear of Rick’s sudden passing. He was such a part of the Charlotte sports scene and the whole region for that matter. He truly was THE source of anything Hornets. Over the years, he’s accepted plenty of other assignments too. I recall him covering App football as recently as this past season. Like many others on YC, I too followed his work from the beginning when I was a student and the Hornets were born until his untimely passing. Whether it be coverage through his articles or frequent radio interviews his work was always informative and insightful. He was so well respected by his colleagues and the people he covered. One of the cool things I learned was he had the respect and ear of even Michael Jordan. I think it was Scott Fowler his longtime colleague at The Charlotte Observer in his tribute article to Rick’s passing, pointed out that Bonnell could text MJ for information or a quote and MJ would reply in a timely fashion. I’m sure the list of individuals who had that privilege is short. I know I will miss his coverage. We lost a good one. Condolences to his family, friends and colleagues. RIP

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”