Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Olympic sports too brutal to watch

appstate24
School: Appalachian State

Re: Olympic sports too brutal to watch

Unread post by appstate24 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 12:44 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 03, 2021 1:25 pm
Sometimes playing for something you believe in can produce results not possible on paper. It happens often in sports.

Perhaps it just meant more for the Canadians. By most accounts they aren't as talented as the US players, but then again it's hard to measure the size of one's heart.
Lazy arguments by you and 24. Sometimes the better team loses. Like us at Coastal last year. And get over people taking a knee. Some people wave Trump flags, some take a knee.
:roll: :roll: :roll:

Like clockwork

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:32 pm

appstate24 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Sometimes playing for something you believe in can produce results not possible on paper. It happens often in sports.

Perhaps it just meant more for the Canadians. By most accounts they aren't as talented as the US players, but then again it's hard to measure the size of one's heart.
Lazy arguments by you and 24. Sometimes the better team loses. Like us at Coastal last year. And get over people taking a knee. Some people wave Trump flags, some take a knee.

Like clockwork
Listen ass….you lit the match

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Aug 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:32 pm
appstate24 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 1:09 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Like clockwork
Listen ass….you lit the match
There's a fart joke somewhere in there.

Right now, I'm reveling in the fact that the Women's national basketball team last loss in the Olympics came during the Semifinals in 1992. They went on to win the Bronze match and every game after. Has any other team shown a similar level of Olympic dominance in the past three decades?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 5:13 pm

Personally I wish there were no national flags nor uniforms at the Olympics. Just the best giving it their all. Team sports can be made of whomever gets the players together. Qualifying can be at hundreds of qualifying events but anyone can attend any of them so one is not tied to their national team as their would not be national teams. Test everyone for doping, and other chemicals and hormones, including royalty, which have gotten passes for some testing in previous years.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 pm

Let’s only invite the US, China and Russia…

Some bad ideas in this thread, but you’ve won that prize.

The lack of national pride is one of the most troubling aspects of today’s society.

I love seeing our flag and hearing our anthem upon winning gold. Am I now in the minority or will the silent majority speak up before it too late.

Go USA!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:51 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 6:12 pm

The lack of national pride is one of the most troubling aspects of today’s society.

I love seeing our flag and hearing our anthem upon winning gold. Am I now in the minority or will the silent majority speak up before it too late.

Go USA!
I too love seeing the Flag raised and I love the Anthem. I love that Individuals effort and not state sponsored programs win more often than not. I would prefer that people not kneel but respect their peaceful right to do so. I do not respect a mob that defiles all of the above.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:11 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

Go USA!
I think the folks from the Horn of Africa would have something to say about that and their running ability in the distance events. Jamaica took 1-2-3 in some track event at a dash length. Maybe women's 100-m dash.

There are plenty of sports that people from other countries excel at, and they tend to be the sports that don't get a lot of air time in the US during he Olympics and at other times. I doubt it would be any more one-sided than it is now. There could be more problems with doping but that is not clean now by a longs ways and pulling the national committees out of the process may help with this (along with lots of testing of individuals to help keep them honest.)

And the "Ode to Joy" is a beautiful song that is always good to listen to and could replace national anthems. It does play to the Europeans in the EU however. In fact drop the anthem and just sling the medal over them and slap a chaplet on the head and be done with it.

Go Humanity! and Go Apps in college sports!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:19 pm

Saint3333 wrote:

Go USA!
I am with you, I will watch any sport that our country is actively participating in just to root for the USA.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:04 pm

McLean can’t type “Go USA”.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:23 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:04 pm
McLean can’t type “Go USA”.
I have my priorities and make no excuse nor do I feel one bit uneasy or bad about it. I can type it but I like the message I typed. I mentioned App State, and that should be a priority on this board.

I wish I could remember the quote that David Byrne made in his recent concert documentary American Utopia. I don't need anyone to speak on my behalf but it was a nicely worded quote. You can watch it on HBOMax if you have that service. Good show with great music and he showed a political side he had never really shown before.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Aug 04, 2021 8:42 pm

I simple you’re right would have been fine.

You posting about App State hasn’t been your priority here for a long time…

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Aug 04, 2021 9:18 pm

You are wrong, I can type it and here it is "Go USA." And no, that was not a cut and paste as you placed the full stop outside of the quotation marks. I actually typed it out.

I expect you to be a man and state here for all to see that you are indeed wrong. I can and did type it.

Did I mean it? You likely don't think I do but I have nothing to prove to you. Neither you nor I are the arbiter of what is or is not patriotic. I keep my patriotism as I see fit and that includes paying my taxes, staying informed of current events and voting, and respecting the environment and those around me. I imagine any country that I would want to call home would be happy to have an engaged citizenry like myself. If that is not good enough for you then I really don't care, as I stated earlier, neither you nor I are the arbiter of what is or is not patriotic.

Like many of us we all post on more than a few topics, but during athletic season a high percentage of my posts are related to App State and that percentage falls in the off season. Same for you. Just before this I posted about the start of fall camp.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 am

The opposite of brutal. I am now a fan of the young lady that won wrestling. USA flag wrapped around her and so excited to represent her country. The excitement after her win and what it meant to represent the USA made my Olympics thus far.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appstate24

Unread post by appstate24 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:17 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 6:10 am
The opposite of brutal. I am now a fan of the young lady that won wrestling. USA flag wrapped around her and so excited to represent her country. The excitement after her win and what it meant to represent the USA made my Olympics thus far.
Absolutely, she was great and her excitement was incredible. A new American hero for sure!

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:49 am

I enjoy the olympics, especially watching with my daughter and explaining events that she’s never seen before. Of course I cheer for the USA, because only I’m not a communist, and I’m very fortunate to have been born here.
Give 'em hell!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Thu Aug 05, 2021 8:28 am

I know that was tough McLean.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:00 am

I hope you fellas saw Carly Lloyd kiss the USA on her jersey after scoring a goal….
TAking a knee doesn’t mean you don’t love your country.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:02 am

Oh by the way George Washington took a knee when the English anthem was played. 🙄

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:18 am

Men’s 4x100 has such a strange recent history given the overall success of the sprint events. 6th in a heat not due to a dropped piece of equipment. I bet some money was lost in Vegas on that.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:30 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:18 am
Men’s 4x100 has such a strange recent history given the overall success of the sprint events. 6th in a heat not due to a dropped piece of equipment. I bet some money was lost in Vegas on that.
I’ve seen better baton hand offs in middle school. Embarrassing.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”