Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Visiting Boone

BambooRdApp
School: Appalachian State

Visiting Boone

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 am

Not a vax/no vax or Covid debate. Just FYI if traveling to Boone. Starting tomorrow 8/10/21

The town of Boone in the North Carolina mountains declared a COVID state of emergency on Friday night amid rising cases among the unvaccinated due to the delta variant, officials said.

Effective 5 p.m. Tuesday, ages 2 and older must mask up in all indoor public settings, according to Mayor Rennie Brantz’s declaration. The Town Council voted to reenact the state of emergency first imposed during the pandemic last year.

“Watauga County’s and North Carolina’s daily case counts and hospitalizations for COVID-19 are quickly increasing due to the Delta Variant, which spreads at least twice as easily as previous variants,” according to the declaration.
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Re: Visiting Boone

Unread post by appgrouch » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:28 am

Also the AppState mask regs remain in effect for all indoor locations
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

WASU 93

Unread post by WASU 93 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 10:59 am

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 8:33 am
Not a vax/no vax or Covid debate. Just FYI if traveling to Boone. Starting tomorrow 8/10/21

The town of Boone in the North Carolina mountains declared a COVID state of emergency on Friday night amid rising cases among the unvaccinated due to the delta variant, officials said.

Effective 5 p.m. Tuesday, ages 2 and older must mask up in all indoor public settings, according to Mayor Rennie Brantz’s declaration. The Town Council voted to reenact the state of emergency first imposed during the pandemic last year.

“Watauga County’s and North Carolina’s daily case counts and hospitalizations for COVID-19 are quickly increasing due to the Delta Variant, which spreads at least twice as easily as previous variants,” according to the declaration.
We visited King Street yesterday. We only saw one business that was requiring masks (Pre-Ordinance) and less than 20% of the patrons were wearing masks. It's interesting that only the Town feels that there is a State of Emergency. (Merely sharing my observations, based on the behaviors demonstrated) The timing seems to be driven by the return of students (which was a big deal to the Town last year)
Also, the State of NC recommends masks for those 5 and older, where the town in requiring them for toddlers.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:20 am

Again, not looking for a debate but I have family members in health care and I can tell you the mountain counties are worried about the patient load at the hospitals. They are reaching out to surrounding counties to try to move patients.

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:44 am

So do you think this will affect the first game or two?

booneboy92

Unread post by booneboy92 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:00 pm

Oldlknapp wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:44 am
So do you think this will affect the first game or two?
Hopefully not having our first home game till 9/18 (more than a month away) will give things time to settle down some.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:14 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

How do they know the rising cases is due to delta variant? The current Covid tests do NOT discern between previous version and delta variant AND regular flu, for that matter. There is no specific test for the Delta variant. In order to specifically check for the Delta variant, a genomic sequencing Covid-19 test is required and only a limited number of labs can do it. The vast majority of the testing now is not at the genomic level. Furthermore, in most areas the people entering hospitals with Covid are about same vaccinated vs unvaccinated as the general population that is vaxed vs unvaxed.

appchicago

Unread post by appchicago » Mon Aug 09, 2021 12:57 pm

Without getting mired in any "shoulds" or "shouldn'ts" here, I was in Boone last week and my experience echoes WASU 93's. Pre-mask announcement, the businesses we visited were mostly unmasked with a sprinkling of masks--maybe 75/25 unmasked. There did actually seem to be an ever-so-slight increase in masking over the course of the week, but that could have been pure coincidence based on where we were and who happened to be in the store or restaurant at the time.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm

The CDC estimates 83% of current cases in the United States are delta. They do the genome sequencing from samples from test samples sent to them from all over the country. The vast majority of hospitalized cases of COVID are now from the unvaxxed.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:10 pm
The CDC estimates 83% of current cases in the United States are delta. They do the genome sequencing from samples from test samples sent to them from all over the country. The vast majority of hospitalized cases of COVID are now from the unvaxxed.
Rek, you seem to take the COVID and especially the Delta variant seriously. I'm in total agreement. I fear it even though I got vaxxed as soon as I could..back on Feb 17 and around March 18th. Stay safe.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:10 pm

NewApp wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 1:42 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Rek, you seem to take the COVID and especially the Delta variant seriously. I'm in total agreement. I fear it even though I got vaxxed as soon as I could..back on Feb 17 and around March 18th. Stay safe.
Delta does have some breakthru cases but effects are mild compared to what the unvaxxed are getting hit with. Delta has proven to be several 100% more transmissable among the unvaxxed. Hospitals are at capacity and 480 children have died in the last couple weeks from it.
these are facts not opinions. If you see news a Florida church had 6 members die in the past week all under 35 and all were unvacxxed. I do take it seriously and Im trying to figure out short of a medical condition why anyone would not get it now. It's not going away and will mutate amond the unvaxxed and potentially create more problems down the road.

Breyond that Im very concerned another season of football my be down the drain. make me show a vax card

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Mon Aug 09, 2021 3:27 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:10 pm
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
Delta does have some breakthru cases but effects are mild compared to what the unvaxxed are getting hit with. Delta has proven to be several 100% more transmissable among the unvaxxed. Hospitals are at capacity and 480 children have died in the last couple weeks from it.
these are facts not opinions. If you see news a Florida church had 6 members die in the past week all under 35 and all were unvacxxed. I do take it seriously and Im trying to figure out short of a medical condition why anyone would not get it now. It's not going away and will mutate amond the unvaxxed and potentially create more problems down the road.

Breyond that Im very concerned another season of football my be down the drain. make me show a vax card
Not quite sure where you are getting your facts but just looked these up. Roughly 2900 people from 0 to 29 have died since the whole thing started. The population of age 29 and under is roughly 138,000,000. So approximately.002 % in this age group have died since the inception of Covid. We have gone from preventing people from death the trying to prevent people from getting sick.(cases) If you are vaxed you are more likely to get struck by lighting than death by Covid. This new delta is much more contagious but not nearly as deadly especially if faxed. Total faxed plus people with immunity due to having Covid is 85% of the population. So over all this . If people want to wear masks the rest of their lives I am fine with that but leave me alone.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:36 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Sorry Rek, but according to the CDC there haven’t been 480 deaths from COVID period (for the 0-17 age group), much less in the last couple of weeks. I’d love to see where you got that statistic.
Give 'em hell!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:48 pm

Tbatchelor1977 wrote:

You probably should have known any topic now will turn into a pissing match. I was in Boone all weekend and moved my daughter in today. All the precautions were in place today with mask and there were more than a few freshman and families that arrived unvaccinated that were require testing on sight to enter. That being said Maccadoos afterwards I did not see one person in line or inside wearing a mask. The Chancellor said there will be 6300 students in dorms by weeks end and I think this is what’s driving that decision with the mask Mandate and rightfully so.

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Mon Aug 09, 2021 6:56 pm

Got an email from my employer today telling me I'm required to wear a mask whenever I'm in a public place. No qualifiers were included in the email.

[NOTE: the following are not rhetorical questions, nor are they meant to be inflammatory]

I would like some clarification...is that when I'm on the clock? Off the clock? Both? Not a rhetorical question, but do they have the right to tell employees what they must do on their personal time? Does their edict supersede what governmental authorities tell us to do?

Whether you believe in vaccinations or not, COVID has pushed us ALL through the looking glass. The things we're experiencing these days are stranger than fiction.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:18 pm

This isn’t the place but if you think we don’t need a robust discussion and investigation into all things COVID you should check out what respected scientists and former CDC Chief Robert Reidfield is saying about mask and the possible origins of the virus. I couldn’t give a crap about political party lines. Let’s have a real national discussion about the data and the science. And let’s here from a broad spectrum of scientist. Let’s get to the bottom of this whole thing so we can all trust the advice we’re getting. The circle of folks instructing us right now is simply to small and far to politicized. And that started with one administration and has continued into the current administration.

roachgone

Unread post by roachgone » Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:55 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:36 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Sorry Rek, but according to the CDC there haven’t been 480 deaths from COVID period (for the 0-17 age group), much less in the last couple of weeks. I’d love to see where you got that statistic.
Exactly. Talk about misinformation. I’m sorry but this whole thing is getting ridiculous. 38000 people die every year in car accidents and another 4.4 Million require medical attention.(cases). Looks like we need to quite driving because the risk is just too great.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Aug 10, 2021 6:35 am

roachgone wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 7:55 pm
BeauFoster wrote:
Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:36 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
NewApp wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:

Exactly. Talk about misinformation. I’m sorry but this whole thing is getting ridiculous. 38000 people die every year in car accidents and another 4.4 Million require medical attention.(cases). Looks like we need to quite driving because the risk is just too great.
You are right...I misquoted something....Here is a link to CDC data

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/covi ... /index.htm

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:49 am

Wonder why he didn't just post the number. 350 deaths from 0-17 in total since inception for those interested. For context pneumonia claimed 842 lives over that same time period for that age group.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:53 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:49 am
Wonder why he didn't just post the number. 350 deaths from 0-17 in total since inception for those interested. For context pneumonia claimed 842 lives over that same time period for that age group.
Correct. But uncountable how many deaths the 0-17 asymptomatic people caused by unknowingly spreading it...
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”