Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Visiting Boone

Saint3333

Re: Visiting Boone

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:08 am

We are going to look back on these years and realize this is a respiratory disease, that despite humans' best efforts, will run its course in nature.

We can slow it down and lessen its effects through vaccinations, you are encouraged to get one. You still will get covid and pass it along the science is showing, but hopefully the impact will be lessened.

But we can not eradicate it. Like other respiratory diseases it will continue to take the elderly and those with immunity issues for the foreseeable future.

We also can not stop educating our youth or providing essential services and producing goods as society can not function without them.

This is another risk society must navigate, the debate is how. Lockdowns are no longer acceptable.

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:07 am

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 9:08 am
We are going to look back on these years and realize this is a respiratory disease, that despite humans' best efforts, will run its course in nature.

We can slow it down and lessen its effects through vaccinations, you are encouraged to get one. You still will get covid and pass it along the science is showing, but hopefully the impact will be lessened.

But we can not eradicate it. Like other respiratory diseases it will continue to take the elderly and those with immunity issues for the foreseeable future.

We also can not stop educating our youth or providing essential services and producing goods as society can not function without them.

This is another risk society must navigate, the debate is how. Lockdowns are no longer acceptable.
Great synopsis.

We also need to make sure everyone has unfettered access to ALL information about this and future situations so each person can do their own research freely and make their own decisions about what is best for them. What is best for me is not necessarily best for you, but that should be okay with everyone and not be chastised for their own decision. There will always be a range of information positive/negative, good/bad, reliable/unreliable on the situation so each person has to distill it and double/triple check it to determine whether it should be factored into your decision. That is part of your discovery process.

At least that is what I was taught during my education at App State many years ago.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:42 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:53 am
Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 8:49 am
Wonder why he didn't just post the number. 350 deaths from 0-17 in total since inception for those interested. For context pneumonia claimed 842 lives over that same time period for that age group.
Correct. But uncountable how many deaths the 0-17 asymptomatic people caused by unknowingly spreading it...
Just a heads up, you can catch pneumonia from another person too. I would love to see someone actually do the math on the whole, you got it and spread it to someone who died thing. Bet that number would have a whole bunch of zeros behind the decimal point.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:02 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:42 am
AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Wonder why he didn't just post the number. 350 deaths from 0-17 in total since inception for those interested. For context pneumonia claimed 842 lives over that same time period for that age group.
Correct. But uncountable how many deaths the 0-17 asymptomatic people caused by unknowingly spreading it...
Just a heads up, you can catch pneumonia from another person too. I would love to see someone actually do the math on the whole, you got it and spread it to someone who died thing. Bet that number would have a whole bunch of zeros behind the decimal point.
Correct. But main difference is pneumonia isn't asymptomatic. So, if you have pneumonia and are out and about, that is also a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be possible to do. Considering over 600,000 people have died and is increasing exponentially daily, I doubt it'll be as many zeros as you're thinking.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:46 am

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:02 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
Correct. But main difference is pneumonia isn't asymptomatic. So, if you have pneumonia and are out and about, that is also a problem.

Unfortunately, I don't think that would be possible to do. Considering over 600,000 people have died and is increasing exponentially daily, I doubt it'll be as many zeros as you're thinking.
I used to work with GSK years ago when they did a lot of work on Flu vaccines. Most people carried on with their lives not realizing that in most years, hundreds of thousands of people died PER year due to flu. This occurred year after year after year. That has always been a part of the world we live in and most folks just did the best we could to "be careful" for ourselves and folks around us. Some folks were more at risk for complications/death than others but the point is, the risk was present. I say this to put things into perspective and remind folks that there is always risks in our everyday lives. You can't let that prevent you from living a reasonably fulfilling life.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:57 am

I totally agree. But, precautions should be made for a virus we don't know a ton about. Flu, pneumonia, cold, etc are all viruses that we know a lot about and how to treat it. Covid is not -- yet. Additionally, there isn't asymptomatic spread from those. There is with Covid.

Taking precautions until we get to that point to help protect each other is only common sense.

I am against mandating vaccines, masks, etc. But I am also against throwing a hissy fit when those mandates happen. Crying like a child over it isn't going to change anything. Don't like the mandates? Don't go there. Its the same argument as "if you feel you need a mask, then wear one or don't go to the places that don't require it." And I totally agree with both of those arguments.
tAPPedInSports.net

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:20 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:46 am
I used to work with GSK years ago when they did a lot of work on Flu vaccines. Most people carried on with their lives not realizing that in most years, hundreds of thousands of people died PER year due to flu. This occurred year after year after year. That has always been a part of the world we live in and most folks just did the best we could to "be careful" for ourselves and folks around us. Some folks were more at risk for complications/death than others but the point is, the risk was present. I say this to put things into perspective and remind folks that there is always risks in our everyday lives. You can't let that prevent you from living a reasonably fulfilling life.
[/quote]

I'm glad you worked at GSK, it's a great company; I was pharma rep for years myself. The actual Flu numbers are published by the CDC and readily available to the public

In 2020 the CDC estimated that influenza has resulted in between 9 million – 45 million illnesses, between 140,000 – 810,000 hospitalizations and between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually since 2010.

There's a good chart listing illnesses, hospitalizations and deaths at the link below. You'll note that the official figures don't approach 100,000 deaths per year, let alone 100s of thousands of deaths. The flu is a perpetual threat to be sure but no where near the acute threat of Covid-19.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/about/burden/index.html
Last edited by mikeyosef on Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:21 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

—This message has been marked for misinformation—

Total deaths are not increasing exponentially daily.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 pm

Saint3333 wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 12:21 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:

Oh, I guess the CDC and people that have spent their lives researching this stuff know less than you. How did you get so much knowledge?
tAPPedInSports.net

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:24 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:19 pm
Saint3333 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

Oh, I guess the CDC and people that have spent their lives researching this stuff know less than you. How did you get so much knowledge?
Exponentially has two meanings-one meaning more and more rapid, the other as a mathematical component (by multiplying upon itself). One of these is an acceptable use in this instance, the other is not. Using the mathematical definition would mean 640k x 640k, which would mean the end of the world in just a couple of days.

Basically Saint is saying, much like Sterling Archer, that phrasing matters.
Give 'em hell!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:24 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

Exponentially has two meanings-one meaning more and more rapid, the other as a mathematical component (by multiplying upon itself). One of these is an acceptable use in this instance, the other is not. Using the mathematical definition would mean 640k x 640k, which would mean the end of the world in just a couple of days.

Basically Saint is saying, much like Sterling Archer, that phrasing matters.
I'd say a +34.8% increase in 7 days is an exponential increase. But, what do I know? I just go by what the experts at the CDC produce. Not some guy on a message board. Clearly I am using the wrong source(s).
tAPPedInSports.net

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:34 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:

The CDC just got caught misreporting cases in FL by combining multiple days into one and then claiming there is a spike in cases. The FL Dept of Health called them out on it. So beware of taking all CDC reports without checking it out details.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:48 pm

AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm
I'd say a +34.8% increase in 7 days is an exponential increase. But, what do I know? I just go by what the experts at the CDC produce. Not some guy on a message board. Clearly I am using the wrong source(s).
I get it, and I agree that is a rapid increase. What I’m saying is that using a word that has two meanings (“exponentially”) can be seen as false information when someone reads exponentially as “multiplying upon itself”.
Give 'em hell!

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:55 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:48 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:29 pm
I get it, and I agree that is a rapid increase. What I’m saying is that using a word that has two meanings (“exponentially”) can be seen as false information when someone reads exponentially as “multiplying upon itself”.
That's fair. And apologies for being snarky. Just gets on my nerves when people act like nothing is happening and the entire world's scientists are wrong.
tAPPedInSports.net

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:56 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 1:34 pm
AppStateNews wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

The CDC just got caught misreporting cases in FL by combining multiple days into one and then claiming there is a spike in cases. The FL Dept of Health called them out on it. So beware of taking all CDC reports without checking it out details.
Of course there may be flaws in the reporting, but to say a +34.8% death increase is not significant and is just misinformation is even more inaccurate.
tAPPedInSports.net

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:06 pm

Replace exponential with significant and alarming.............that ok for you wordsmiths?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:33 pm

Apologies for understanding that words have consequences, I know that is lost on the general public in the era of social media.

The delta variant has created an increase lately and you are encouraged to get vaccinated to lessen its impact.

However, perspective is often helpful when sifting through headlines:

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavir ... aths-daily

1/12/21 daily deaths hit their peak at 4,464/day. 8/7/21 were 728.

I do hope that rate slows.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:36 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:06 pm
Replace exponential with significant and alarming.............that ok for you wordsmiths?
The words we use matter, especially when talking about something as divisive and serious as COVID. I have no doubt that ASN meant rapid when he said exponentially. However, someone else may see it and take it differently. It’s the same as saying 480 kids have died in the past few weeks. It was a mistake/mis-quote, but someone could latch onto that and preach it as gospel. Does it matter so much on the MMB? Not really. But the lesson stands - it’s how we’ve gotten ourselves in this mess (or prolonged it, anyway). One person of influence (on either side of the aisle, neither are saints) says something that’s partially or fully false and a couple people grab at it as truth. Then it multiplies exponentially (see what I did there 😛) and we get a story line that is a fabrication with no basis in fact. And then we all eventually hate each other.
Give 'em hell!

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:00 pm

BeauFoster wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:36 pm
Rekdiver wrote:
Tue Aug 10, 2021 2:06 pm
The words we use matter, especially when talking about something as divisive and serious as COVID. I have no doubt that ASN meant rapid when he said exponentially. However, someone else may see it and take it differently. It’s the same as saying 480 kids have died in the past few weeks. It was a mistake/mis-quote, but someone could latch onto that and preach it as gospel. Does it matter so much on the MMB? Not really. But the lesson stands - it’s how we’ve gotten ourselves in this mess (or prolonged it, anyway). One person of influence (on either side of the aisle, neither are saints) says something that’s partially or fully false and a couple people grab at it as truth. Then it multiplies exponentially (see what I did there 😛) and we get a story line that is a fabrication with no basis in fact. And then we all eventually hate each other.
Nail on the head!!!! It’s an old story, if you want to be trusted you have to tell the truth, not the exaggerated truth, not part of the truth, but simply the truth. In the end exaggeration and leaving out part of the story will bite you on the ass. This is too important for anything less than the flat out, all inclusive, unmitigated truth. And even if it doesn’t jive with what I want to believe I will accept and act upon the truth.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Tue Aug 10, 2021 4:24 pm

When talking about statistics, exponentially is based on the curve. Right now, the curve is exponentially increasing. No ifs, ands, or buts about it.
tAPPedInSports.net

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”