Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Prayers for people under the Russian thumb.

Appstate88
School: Appalachian State

Re: Prayers for people under the Russian thumb.

Unread post by Appstate88 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:06 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:16 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:36 pm
Will the USA find the courage to lead the world again? Will our leadership do everything possible to protect these vulnerable people and innocent lives from being lost? When we are not all in, sit on the fence, wring one’s hands or just play geo-politics, we will watch real evil happen before our eyes on TV. I pray for our country. I hope we will find the courage to lead again.

https://fb.watch/bHO5U7ZozO/
Give some examples where the US led AND was doing it to protect innocent lives. I am not going to suggest it has never has happened. I can think of some times we were intervening to put down popular governments in Central America that were not friendly to American agribusiness interest. I can think of a few times we have supported terrible countries ourselves that were not democracies and had terrible human rights but they had things we wanted such as energy and raw materials.

There have been a few times we came in after things had developed and were on the right side of history, but I don’t think we were leading.
Agree I don’t think we have taken action solely to protect innocent lives. We do lead and have led many humanitarian missions. We also provide the most funding and support of UN peacekeeping missions deployed to encourage lasting peace and prevent further genocide in war torn/conflict areas around the world.

WWII comes to mind where we responded, then led and were on the right side of history.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Appst86

Unread post by Appst86 » Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:41 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:21 pm
pop5app wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:44 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:26 am
pop5app wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 am
GreatAppSt wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 8:35 am

What really grinds my gears is the US only imported about 8% of our crude oil from Russian sources. The pre Russian oil ban price of gas in Indy was about 3.25. I may be nieve and I know that getting others sources up and running to the refineries takes time but....
A ten percent rise at the pump would equal

+10% =3.57
+20% =3.90 Hmm well okay?
+30% =4.22 Are you kidding me?
+40% =4.54 WTF is going on here? This is about where the price is here overnight, Its gouging my friends pure and simple.
Yeah, it seems like some of our anger is pointed toward the wrong people/entities.
I’m sure some companies will take advantage of the situation but it’s not just about how much oil we buy from Russia. We buy oil from the global market. There isn’t a price for Russian oil and a different price for Canadian oil. Oil is priced for the global market. But you guys keep blaming anybody but the folks at the root of the cause.
Wonder who they are?
Yes, please - I still haven't figured out how I can get gas one day at my local station at 2.50 a gallon and the very next day at the same local station it is 2.90 - It's the same gas that was in the tanks yesterday???
Because oil is traded on a global market. If the price goes up on the worldwide markets, the price of gas in the tanks at your local station goes up. If you bought shares of IBM for $55/share last week and they are trading at $75 this week, would you sell them for $55? They are the same shares, just worth more today. Oil prices are based on supply/demand and market sentiment. Conceptually, supply and demand is straight forward. Things world leaders do and say can affect sentiment, i.e., ceasing production or shutting down a pipeline.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Sat Mar 12, 2022 10:13 am

Appst86 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:41 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 12:21 pm
pop5app wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:44 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:26 am
pop5app wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:32 am

Yeah, it seems like some of our anger is pointed toward the wrong people/entities.
I’m sure some companies will take advantage of the situation but it’s not just about how much oil we buy from Russia. We buy oil from the global market. There isn’t a price for Russian oil and a different price for Canadian oil. Oil is priced for the global market. But you guys keep blaming anybody but the folks at the root of the cause.
Wonder who they are?
Yes, please - I still haven't figured out how I can get gas one day at my local station at 2.50 a gallon and the very next day at the same local station it is 2.90 - It's the same gas that was in the tanks yesterday???
Because oil is traded on a global market. If the price goes up on the worldwide markets, the price of gas in the tanks at your local station goes up. If you bought shares of IBM for $55/share last week and they are trading at $75 this week, would you sell them for $55? They are the same shares, just worth more today. Oil prices are based on supply/demand and market sentiment. Conceptually, supply and demand is straight forward. Things world leaders do and say can affect sentiment, i.e., ceasing production or shutting down a pipeline.
Good point. My wife and I were driving home last night and while at a light I noticed gas prices at 3 stations at the intersection. On the right it was $4.19, on the left at one station $4.29 and at another $3.99. I’ve seen situations in my city where prices on one side could average as much as .30 different than on another. I’m pretty sure that the pipeline doesn’t go through here. I’ve honestly complained about that “already in the tank” deal but you are right. If a station has their price at $4 and all of a sudden the cost jumps to $5 and they leave their price at $4 there will be a run on their station and it will be gone in hours. While they will make good money for those few hours they will pay more to restock and the profits will disappear.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:43 am

If any of you guys want a better understanding of who the Ukrainian people are and what they have done to gain independence from Russia take a look at Winter on Fire on Netflix. In 2014 these people fought a proxy Russian government. I don’t see them letting that fight be for nothing.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:13 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 10:43 am
If any of you guys want a better understanding of who the Ukrainian people are and what they have done to gain independence from Russia take a look at Winter on Fire on Netflix. In 2014 these people fought a proxy Russian government. I don’t see them letting that fight be for nothing.

It's almost inevitable that the Ukrainians will lose, sadly and tragically, but the Ruskies will know they've been in a helluva fight. Too bad that that phases Putin not a zilch. The end justifies the means in their way of thinking.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Sun Mar 13, 2022 1:06 pm

If you want more background, goggle Holodomor.
Bring Your A Game!

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 9:59 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:06 am
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Mar 12, 2022 8:16 am
Appstate88 wrote:
Fri Mar 11, 2022 10:36 pm
Will the USA find the courage to lead the world again? Will our leadership do everything possible to protect these vulnerable people and innocent lives from being lost? When we are not all in, sit on the fence, wring one’s hands or just play geo-politics, we will watch real evil happen before our eyes on TV. I pray for our country. I hope we will find the courage to lead again.

https://fb.watch/bHO5U7ZozO/
Give some examples where the US led AND was doing it to protect innocent lives. I am not going to suggest it has never has happened. I can think of some times we were intervening to put down popular governments in Central America that were not friendly to American agribusiness interest. I can think of a few times we have supported terrible countries ourselves that were not democracies and had terrible human rights but they had things we wanted such as energy and raw materials.

There have been a few times we came in after things had developed and were on the right side of history, but I don’t think we were leading.
Agree I don’t think we have taken action solely to protect innocent lives. We do lead and have led many humanitarian missions. We also provide the most funding and support of UN peacekeeping missions deployed to encourage lasting peace and prevent further genocide in war torn/conflict areas around the world.

WWII comes to mind where we responded, then led and were on the right side of history.
Let me clarify that I am proud of our involvement in WWII and we were definitely on the right side of history. That said, we didn't "lead" during WWI, at least not until the latter stages. We were a late comer and only joined once we were attacked at Pearl Harbor.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:07 am

Some comments from General Lord Richards to think about.
https://fb.watch/bL7Nr-uk33/
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Mar 14, 2022 4:38 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:07 am
Some comments from General Lord Richards to think about.
https://fb.watch/bL7Nr-uk33/
1. It will be long over in 3 months and the country will be devastated
2. NATO will do nothing

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:45 pm

NewApp wrote:
Sun Mar 13, 2022 12:13 pm
Mjohn1988 wrote:

It's almost inevitable that the Ukrainians will lose, sadly and tragically, but the Ruskies will know they've been in a helluva fight. Too bad that that phases Putin not a zilch. The end justifies the means in their way of thinking.
More than likely, but the fact that Putin is having to recruit Syria and now is asking China for both military tech help and economic assistance is shocking.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:52 pm

Just my opinion…. I believe we (the US) will soon have to make a choice on what we want most. China will let us choose. Save Ukraine and lose Taiwan or save Taiwan and lose Ukraine. Either way China’s strength grows in global power.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:45 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

More than likely, but the fact that Putin is having to recruit Syria and now is asking China for both military tech help and economic assistance is shocking.
He’s gone all in on this invasion. Russia today defaults on their debt. It’s all or nothing for him at this point. What will we do? It’s incredibly hard to watch a nation being blasted to smithereens …like nothing anyone has seen before. Almost 3 million refugees is a staggering number.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 8:13 am

mountaineerman wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:57 pm
HighlandsApp wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 6:45 pm
NewApp wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:

He’s gone all in on this invasion. Russia today defaults on their debt. It’s all or nothing for him at this point. What will we do? It’s incredibly hard to watch a nation being blasted to smithereens …like nothing anyone has seen before. Almost 3 million refugees is a staggering number.
Really ugly stuff but Russia will never win this war. This will be another Afghanistan for them.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:27 am

Win or lose , Russia loses. Ukraine loses .We lose. Agree that China is looming .Japan has made it clear that they will defend Taiwan , without Japan we are basically alone in the Pacific as flaky as Australia can be.India , the worlds largest democracy ,has a lot at stake trying to play the middle.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:44 am

Stonewall wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 9:27 am
Win or lose , Russia loses. Ukraine loses .We lose. Agree that China is looming .Japan has made it clear that they will defend Taiwan , without Japan we are basically alone in the Pacific as flaky as Australia can be.India , the worlds largest democracy ,has a lot at stake trying to play the middle.
Your right, “win” isn’t a word that will apply to this whole situation.

app87

Unread post by app87 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:57 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 8:52 pm
Just my opinion…. I believe we (the US) will soon have to make a choice on what we want most. China will let us choose. Save Ukraine and lose Taiwan or save Taiwan and lose Ukraine. Either way China’s strength grows in global power.
We will not give up Taiwan. Not only do they produce the most chips, they also produce the world's most advanced chips which can be found in the most highest-tech machinery from cell phones to fighter jets.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:31 am

app87 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 10:57 am
Appstate88 wrote:
We will not give up Taiwan. Not only do they produce the most chips, they also produce the world's most advanced chips which can be found in the most highest-tech machinery from cell phones to fighter jets.
Same question as in regard to energy. From a national security standpoint, why would we allow that to happen. We don’t have to produce all of these chips but we should have the ability to ramp up production at the drop of a hat.

app87

Unread post by app87 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 1:22 pm

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 11:31 am
app87 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
Same question as in regard to energy. From a national security standpoint, why would we allow that to happen. We don’t have to produce all of these chips but we should have the ability to ramp up production at the drop of a hat.
I agree, we shouldn't. If anything, COVID taught us we have to rely on what we can produce or stockpile and we can't be dependent on other countries that will be trying to do the very same with their own populace.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 pm

app87 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
If China decides to take Taiwan just what does anyone think we are going to do about it?

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Tue Mar 15, 2022 6:04 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Mar 15, 2022 4:54 pm
app87 wrote:
Appstate88 wrote:
If China decides to take Taiwan just what does anyone think we are going to do about it?
We bend the knee to them like we have for the past 20.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”