Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Unlimited transferring is coming

appdaze

Unlimited transferring is coming

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:32 pm

Ncaa just needs to throw in the towel.

AppSt94
School: Appalachian State

Re: Unlimited transferring is coming

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:55 pm

Here is the issue. The NCAA has eligibility requirements and someone going into whatever season must meet minimum completed hours in order to compete. So if kid A is going into his junior year, he needs to be at a 60 credit hours minimum. If classes don’t transfer, he doesn’t play.

mike87

Unread post by mike87 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:02 pm

Which kid at Ohio State didn't get to play last year?

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:48 pm

AppSt94 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 12:55 pm
Here is the issue. The NCAA has eligibility requirements and someone going into whatever season must meet minimum completed hours in order to compete. So if kid A is going into his junior year, he needs to be at a 60 credit hours minimum. If classes don’t transfer, he doesn’t play.
Give it time. They will let those players reclassiy to whatever grade level their credits are at. The lawsuits are going after the big targets first before they go after the other eligibility requirements.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:58 pm

Not sure the courts will have much say over an academic institution’s transfer acceptance requirements. But I’m sure it will be challenged. What university would allow a student to transfer in and get a degree from that institution after completing only 12ish hours at that institution? All transfer students must meet in-residence requirements. I’m pretty sure that’s what has kept some of our potential transfers from being admitted to the university. I guess all that will be moot when it’s decided college sports aren’t about college anymore. The slope is definitely getting more slippery.
WE ARE YOSEF!

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:12 pm

goapps93 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 1:58 pm
Not sure the courts will have much say over an academic institution’s transfer acceptance requirements. But I’m sure it will be challenged. What university would allow a student to transfer in and get a degree from that institution after completing only 12ish hours at that institution? All transfer students must meet in-residence requirements. I’m pretty sure that’s what has kept some of our potential transfers from being admitted to the university. I guess all that will be moot when it’s decided college sports aren’t about college anymore. The slope is definitely getting more slippery.
This is where I’m at. Granting them the ability to transfer doesn’t, nor should it translate to automatically being able to play if they aren’t considered academically eligible.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:19 pm

It’s been a good run.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:34 pm

When more and more people lose interest and the cash cow goes away the big money will try to fix the issue. But college sports may have gone the way of NASCAR by then. I’ve only missed a handful of App home games in the last 25 or so years and I’m starting to get tired of the transfer and NIL crap already. I watched a good deal of college basketball before all the one year and done players. Loved to watch teams build and grow together. Can’t tell you the last time I watch a college basketball game.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:51 pm

The students that hit the transfer portal without enough credits will not be coming to Appalachian. Those students will be at the Autonomous Conference schools. Those are the same students that are only in school before they go to the NFL. Appalachian's culture is not about taking the best players, it is about taking the best people. That is the reason you rarely see any athlete at App in trouble either academically or with the law. Even back in the day, I do not believe Randy Moss would have been able to come to Appalachian.

AppSt94

Unread post by AppSt94 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:03 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:51 pm
The students that hit the transfer portal without enough credits will not be coming to Appalachian. Those students will be at the Autonomous Conference schools. Those are the same students that are only in school before they go to the NFL. Appalachian's culture is not about taking the best players, it is about taking the best people. That is the reason you rarely see any athlete at App in trouble either academically or with the law. Even back in the day, I do not believe Randy Moss would have been able to come to Appalachian.
At some point,the academias will step in and say enough is enough.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:05 pm

If the NCAA handles this like it handled UNC-Ch they will not be the ones to do anything about academic issues.

Bigdaddyg1

Unread post by Bigdaddyg1 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:10 pm

It's been said that something like 40% of the players who go into the portal don't land anywhere else. You have to think that the reasons go beyond football abilities. How many of these guys didn't put forth the efforts in the classroom and are looking for an easier path? The skeptic in me finds it hard to believe that some of these 3 school guys are lighting it up academically. At any reputable university eventually you have to take real classes.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:32 pm

Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:10 pm
It's been said that something like 40% of the players who go into the portal don't land anywhere else. You have to think that the reasons go beyond football abilities. How many of these guys didn't put forth the efforts in the classroom and are looking for an easier path? The skeptic in me finds it hard to believe that some of these 3 school guys are lighting it up academically. At any reputable university eventually you have to take real classes.
I bet a good bit of them don't class seriously and they don't land for that reason. I would also bet that many of them go in the portal because the school told them they won't play and needs their scholarship. I am sure a lot of them could land in D2 or below but they don't want to so they never play anywhere.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:01 pm

AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:32 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
I bet a good bit of them don't class seriously and they don't land for that reason. I would also bet that many of them go in the portal because the school told them they won't play and needs their scholarship. I am sure a lot of them could land in D2 or below but they don't want to so they never play anywhere.
Comes down to making those tough decisions. For some of them going D2 or below might seem like “failing” at their dream, but at a certain point you gotta know how competitive your chances are at getting drafted or being picked up as a free agent/be a member of the practice squad. Might as well get the full ride somewhere and play school a little more seriously if you can.

AppStFan1

Unread post by AppStFan1 » Sat Jan 20, 2024 12:57 pm

VNova wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 7:01 pm
AppStFan1 wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 3:32 pm
Bigdaddyg1 wrote:
Comes down to making those tough decisions. For some of them going D2 or below might seem like “failing” at their dream, but at a certain point you gotta know how competitive your chances are at getting drafted or being picked up as a free agent/be a member of the practice squad. Might as well get the full ride somewhere and play school a little more seriously if you can.
They are tough decisions but sadly I bet 80% of D1 players think they are going to the NFL when only 1.6% of college players even get to the NFL so if they aren't in D1 they just need to use football to get a degree for the day when the NFL likely won't happen.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:14 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Fri Jan 19, 2024 2:19 pm
It’s been a good run.
Has it? I’m not saying unlimited transferring and astronomical NIL is good, but the NCAA has been waving around a paper sword for decades and now teams, conferences, and courts are calling their bluff. If the NCAA were a legitimate, well-run organization, most of the problems would’ve been fixed long before now.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:35 pm

What is the mission , the purpose of a college or university? How does this align with it ? It doesn’t.

appdaze

Unread post by appdaze » Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:43 pm

Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:35 pm
What is the mission , the purpose of a college or university? How does this align with it ? It doesn’t.
Well you could make that same argument for high school sports as well. That's why many don't have sports associated with schools in Europe. You play for clubs instead.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Sat Jan 20, 2024 4:06 pm

You certainly could. And others.

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Sat Jan 20, 2024 5:08 pm

appdaze wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:43 pm
Stonewall wrote:
Sat Jan 20, 2024 2:35 pm
Well you could make that same argument for high school sports as well. That's why many don't have sports associated with schools in Europe. You play for clubs instead.
At least at the scholastic level, I think sports does play an important part in the school's misson, much as other extra-curricular activities like performing arts, visual arts, debate, ROTC, quiz bowl, outdoor programs, etc. All of these contribute to building a "well-rounded student" - teamwork, hard work, comradary, pride in a job well done, etc.

The same can be said about college sports as well, outside of the big-money, semi-professional business model of P5 football and basketball.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”