Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UNCC looking to get R1 title

appdaze

UNCC looking to get R1 title

Unread post by appdaze » Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:52 am

This I have to admit I'm a bit jealous of. I wish App could get into more research. I know a lot of it comes down to funding so I guess we will always be on the outside looking in on this world.

https://www.wsoctv.com/news/local/unc-c ... IFxxr2dmv9

BallantyneApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: UNCC looking to get R1 title

Unread post by BallantyneApp » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:36 am

They relaxed the requirements for 2025, ECU will also get R1 classification.

I too, am hopeful that App will be able to focus on developing more research and doctoral programs, and I see App Hickory as our vehicle to do so.

Most of this goes back to institutional mission. App has a remit from the state to focus on undergrad education, and UNCC has a different mission.

Honestly, given Boones demographics vs greater Charlotte this is one area where I can't blame the UNCBOG it makes sense for UNCC to do more research.

This is why if App Hickory takes off and provides App an avenue to start commanding research $$ and funding, Everts will go down as the best chancellor in school history.

VNova

Unread post by VNova » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:47 am

Sadly, App can barely get a doctoral program started (Board politics or something?) where UNCC has about 30 of them, 27ish of which are PhD programs (vast majority in science and engineering). This is an area I wish App would push more in, at least with environmental/sustainable technology, nursing, or another one of our strengths.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:51 am

People that care about research designations and US News rankings are part of the higher education ecosystem.

Some good weekend listens:

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/higher ... -be-fixed/

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/what-e ... llege-for/

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:04 am

This may be an attempt by UNCC to get into a, "Better Conference".

Bootsy

Unread post by Bootsy » Wed Apr 17, 2024 10:11 pm

AppWyo wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2024 11:04 am
This may be an attempt by UNCC to get into a, "Better Conference".
You are absolutely correct. But they gotta win some games first.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 am

Some if not most on this board won’t like this at all but it’s my experience. My daughter started at App and graduated from UNCC. Her experience at App was less than stellar. Her experience at UNCC was very good. App. seemed focused on social engineering and UNCC was focused on the course work. Just one persons experience but it tells me that App. needs to decide who/what it wants to be.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:12 am
Some if not most on this board won’t like this at all but it’s my experience. My daughter started at App and graduated from UNCC. Her experience at App was less than stellar. Her experience at UNCC was very good. App. seemed focused on social engineering and UNCC was focused on the course work. Just one persons experience but it tells me that App. needs to decide who/what it wants to be.
I think it depends on the major. My son just graduated with a CS degree and he didn't encounter any foolishness, but one of his neighbors from his apartment transferred out because of the nonsense in his major (which I don't recall).

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:30 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
I think it depends on the major. My son just graduated with a CS degree and he didn't encounter any foolishness, but one of his neighbors from his apartment transferred out because of the nonsense in his major (which I don't recall).
My daughter only made it a year so it was all general education stuff. But it ran her off for sure. Glad your experience was better.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:33 am
appst89 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
My daughter only made it a year so it was all general education stuff. But it ran her off for sure. Glad your experience was better.
He did his general education stuff at a community college. Probably made a huge difference in his experience.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:44 am

appst89 wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:42 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
He did his general education stuff at a community college. Probably made a huge difference in his experience.
Could be the very best thing a lot of kids could do.

AppWyo

Unread post by AppWyo » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 am

Mjohn1988 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Just remember, App is not for everyone. I have never met anyone who graduated from App that hated it, they just leave if it is not a fit for them. I think the altitude, temperature, wind, and people in Boone, NC affects different people differently.

Mjohn1988

Unread post by Mjohn1988 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:56 am

AppWyo wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 9:52 am
Mjohn1988 wrote:
appst89 wrote:
Mjohn1988 wrote:
Just remember, App is not for everyone. I have never met anyone who graduated from App that hated it, they just leave if it is not a fit for them. I think the altitude, temperature, wind, and people in Boone, NC affects different people differently.
My daughter could have gone anywhere she wanted to go. She chose App and basically grew up on Apps Campus. The weather wasn’t a surprise to her.

ugmw177

Unread post by ugmw177 » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:31 am

ok, so I have to admit I am not a real fan of UNCC in general; yeah it is a pretty nice campus has a big number of students but really feels like a glorified community college [perhaps because of all the communter students from the CLT area]. Anyhow, research makes sense for them as the southern piedmont urban college. The undergrads for the most part are not really academically challenged and make so-so workers/employess after graduation. national rankings are weakish.

I also dont really see how APP Hickory is going to help APP in general other than make it more convenient for more undergrads from the Hickory area able to attend classes in person. Face it, Hickory area is not RTP or CLT or anything remotely close. APP really needs to continue to grow and prosper as undergrad education destination.

311neers

Unread post by 311neers » Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:24 pm

https://charlotteevergreen.com/phase-on ... index.html

$60M for UNC Harrisburg expansion. A lot of premium seats. Pretty nice looking tower though.

BambooRdApp

Unread post by BambooRdApp » Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm

Like how it says "provide additional access"...do they really need more access? ..only 2000 showing up now (not tickets sold.. actually showing up)😂😂😂
Today I Give My All For Appalachian State!!
#FreeMillerHillForMoMoney!!
#SleeveStripesWereTheBomb!!
#99ForPresident!!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”