Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boone area golf

rbarthle17
Site Admin
School: Appalachian State

Boone area golf

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:01 pm

A friend of mine is going to be in Boone for work next week. He wants to get in some golf. Need recommendations. He's a 6 handicap (legit, seen his game in person) so looking for some challenging courses as well as scenery.

NewApp

Re: Boone area golf

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:07 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:A friend of mine is going to be in Boone for work next week. He wants to get in some golf. Need recommendations. He's a 6 handicap (legit, seen his game in person) so looking for some challenging courses as well as scenery.
Grandfather Mountain golf course is definitely scenic, but it may be all private. Never mind, I just checked, it is private only as it is owned exclusively by its members.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:12 pm

If he's a true 6er, he should manhandle Boone's golf course. It's pretty wide open with huge greens that putt pretty true. One of my favorites in the area is just across the TN line. It use to be called Roan Valley and I believe is now called Red Tail. It's a true mountain course and the signature hole is one of my favorites with a rock face behind the green.

There use to be a course down towards Newland called Blue Ridge. When I was in school, my buddies and I would ride down their (approx. 45 min) for their $20 twilight rates which was very reasonable considering the course was in pretty good shape. I think the course shut down a few years back after some very bad weather (maybe hurricane related). Believe it's reopened under a new name, maybe Linville something. I've never played Linville Falls (or Grandfather) but I have some friends who have played it and they loved it. I haven't played Hound Ears either but from what I've seen, it looks rather nice.

Not a fan of Mtn. Aire over in West Jefferson. The only other ones I remember playing were the par 3 (not for 6 handicappers) and Hawk's Nest which is no longer open. Saw my first ever hole in one at Hawk's Nest and it had some pretty views. Their signature par 3 was always a fun hole to play!
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:14 pm

moonshine wrote:If he's a true 6er, he should manhandle Boone's golf course. It's pretty wide open with huge greens that putt pretty true. One of my favorites in the area is just across the TN line. It use to be called Roan Valley and I believe is now called Red Tail. It's a true mountain course and the signature hole is one of my favorites with a rock face behind the green.

There use to be a course down towards Newland called Blue Ridge. When I was in school, my buddies and I would ride down their (approx. 45 min) for their $20 twilight rates which was very reasonable considering the course was in pretty good shape. I think the course shut down a few years back after some very bad weather (maybe hurricane related). Believe it's reopened under a new name, maybe Linville something. I've never played Linville Falls (or Grandfather) but I have some friends who have played it and they loved it. I haven't played Hound Ears either but from what I've seen, it looks rather nice.

Not a fan of Mtn. Aire over in West Jefferson. The only other ones I remember playing were the par 3 (not for 6 handicappers) and Hawk's Nest which is no longer open. Saw my first ever hole in one at Hawk's Nest and it had some pretty views. Their signature par 3 was always a fun hole to play!

Sam Adams, not the beer, was an ASU alumnus and pro golfer was once the golf pro at Roan Valley. He was the first left hander to win the Quad Cities Tournament. As a matter of fact, he was the first left hander to win on the pro tour.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:25 pm

rbarthle17 wrote:A friend of mine is going to be in Boone for work next week. He wants to get in some golf. Need recommendations. He's a 6 handicap (legit, seen his game in person) so looking for some challenging courses as well as scenery.
The best courses are private (read as) Grandfather Club, Elk River, et al. Here's a link that should be of assistance.

http://www.thegolfnexus.com/cities/tn/Roan%20Mountain

Consider Mountain Aire Golf Club in West Jefferson/Beaver Creek. It's less than a 30 minute drive from downtown Boone and it's got great scenery.

http://www.mountainaire.com/default.php

As mentioned already, Roan Mountain/Red Tail is also a good choice.

http://www.redtailmountain.com/#!map/c1go2
Last edited by asu66 on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:30 pm

I recommend Red Tail in Mountain City, Mountain Glen in Newland and Mountain Aire in West Jefferson.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:35 pm

Red Tail is my favorite in the area. We've found groupons for $30 rounds up there and it's just as scenic and nice as anywhere else.

Plan to shoot 5-10 over your normal score though. That is a tough course.

BTW they switched the front and back 9 this summer, which I'm not a fan of.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 pm

I will pass these along, thanks! This will be the second trip of his this year I am jealous of, as I haven't been to Boone since 2005 and never been to Boone as a serious golfer. This first one was when he played Pebble Beach earlier this year. Shot an 81 to boot. And all of these are trips for work that he has enough downtime to get out and play during. I need to find a job like that.

lillycafe

Unread post by lillycafe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:00 pm

If you can get on, Elk River in Banner Elk is top notch. Played there several times. NICE, NICE!!

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:27 pm

I am biased but I love Mountain Glen in Newland. My grandparents had a summer home there and so growing up I played it all the time. It's about 30-40 minutes from Boone. Very pretty mountain course and fun to play.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

tromboneman

Unread post by tromboneman » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

NewApp wrote:
moonshine wrote:If he's a true 6er, he should manhandle Boone's golf course. It's pretty wide open with huge greens that putt pretty true. One of my favorites in the area is just across the TN line. It use to be called Roan Valley and I believe is now called Red Tail. It's a true mountain course and the signature hole is one of my favorites with a rock face behind the green.

Sam Adams, not the beer, was an ASU alumnus and pro golfer was once the golf pro at Roan Valley. He was the first left hander to win the Quad Cities Tournament. As a matter of fact, he was the first left hander to win on the pro tour.
NewApp wrote:

I played there when Sam Adams was the pro. He told us that the greens were "as slick as deer guts on a door knob"

AZAppGrad

Unread post by AZAppGrad » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:25 pm

It's a little bit of a drive but one of my favorites is Mt. Mitchell Golf Club. Great scenery and a challenging course.

rbarthle17
Site Admin

Unread post by rbarthle17 » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:40 am

My friend played Red Tail this morning. Shot an 81 from the tips and loved it. Thanks for the suggestions.

MAD Doctor

Unread post by MAD Doctor » Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:09 pm

Magic Mountain- Would have broken 80 if that dang windmill didn't keep knocking my ball out into 105. :mrgreen:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”