Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Krispy Kreme to Boone!!!

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Krispy Kreme to Boone!!!

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu May 21, 2015 1:20 pm

Okay, this story was posted yesterday, and it took over 24 hours to make it to the board. We're slipping. Slipping big time.

http://www.wataugademocrat.com/news/kri ... 1448b.html
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

JTApps1

Re: Krispy Kreme to Boone!!!

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu May 21, 2015 1:43 pm

It's a good thing KK wasn't in business during my time at App! :shock:
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu May 21, 2015 1:47 pm

My freshmen 15 would have doubled. I've never driven past a Hot Now light without stopping in my life. I think I'll stop for one dozen original glazed on the way home after hearing this wonderful news.

QueencityApp

Unread post by QueencityApp » Thu May 21, 2015 2:13 pm

Man can you imagine the line in the drive thru if they ever did a promotion after a football game like "free dozen glazed if App scores over 40"! Maybe they'll wait til the Lamb & Cox show is off the mountain before that happens. But seriously, I suspect KK will do very well in Boone.

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Thu May 21, 2015 2:35 pm

Gonzo wrote:My freshmen 15 would have doubled. I've never driven past a Hot Now light without stopping in my life. I think I'll stop for one dozen original glazed on the way home after hearing this wonderful news.

Gonzo I was worried that Krispy Kreme might fall victim to your "No Chains in Boone" stance. Glad to see that hot delectable wheels of sweet dough provide an exception!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 pm

AppHoops wrote:
Gonzo wrote:My freshmen 15 would have doubled. I've never driven past a Hot Now light without stopping in my life. I think I'll stop for one dozen original glazed on the way home after hearing this wonderful news.

Gonzo I was worried that Krispy Kreme might fall victim to your "No Chains in Boone" stance. Glad to see that hot delectable wheels of sweet dough provide an exception!
My boycott of franchise restaurants focuses mainly on Applebees, Chilis, and the rest of the like, which move from town to town destroying the livelihoods of local entrepreneurs and serving glorified Hungry Man meals.

KK is a North Carolina staple; they're big into corporate philanthropy; and serve the most delicious Southern doughnuts on Earth.

moehler

Unread post by moehler » Thu May 21, 2015 3:18 pm

lets see... KK opens a store near campus, that will service drunk/high students on Thurs/Fri/Sat nights and before/after football games....man, those guys are going to make a fortune!!

AppHoops

Unread post by AppHoops » Thu May 21, 2015 4:15 pm

The biggest takeaway for me (and perhaps the most important one) is that with KK coming into town, the eyesore / gag reflex that is Long John Silvers can finally cease to exist in our town and our memories.

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Thu May 21, 2015 4:47 pm

Krispy Kreme is the food version of cocaine.

Putting KKD in Boone is a home run. Much like Cook Out, they'll be able to print their own money.

I'm surprised it's taken this long for a KKD to arrive in Boone. I'm sure the snotty city council has had something to do with that.

This is great news.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu May 21, 2015 8:20 pm

Time to change the tailgate menu :D
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu May 21, 2015 9:51 pm

KK could never hold a candle to Granny's Donuts. Hey Chuck....Doug......can I get a witness?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu May 21, 2015 10:17 pm

Dang Scat,
Granny's Donuts were the best. My two favorite places to eat in the early 80's were Grannys Donuts and Yogis Sub Shop - Yum ! :D

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu May 21, 2015 11:07 pm

scatman77 wrote:KK could never hold a candle to Granny's Donuts. Hey Chuck....Doug......can I get a witness?
I'm right there with ya, Scat; but I have to be a bit careful. My wife is from W-S and her homeplace was only 15-18 blocks in the direction of Groves Stadium/Ernie Shore Field from the original KK commercial bakery on the Northside. That was before she and I met in a Poli-Sci class at App; but she swears the KK aroma easily cancelled the RJR tobacco warehouse smell in that part of town.

BTW, she never, ever turned down a fresh Granny's chocolate-dipped cake doughnut in our time at App! Nor, for that matter, any authentic Tommy Sofield "built" sub from Yogi's.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri May 22, 2015 5:14 am

scatman77 wrote:KK could never hold a candle to Granny's Donuts. Hey Chuck....Doug......can I get a witness?
Best donuts ever were those home made one's from The Carolina Pharmacy. Made fresh every day, have yet to find a donut that even comes close.

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Fri May 22, 2015 6:06 am

WataugaMan wrote:
Best donuts ever were those home made one's from The Carolina Pharmacy. Made fresh every day, have yet to find a donut that even comes close.
Oh man....you didn't even have to use "Carolina." All you had to say was "going to the Pharmacy" and it was all over: two hot dogs all the way, fries, and the best cherry smash you've ever had. I also agree that Tommy's subs were awesome!
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri May 22, 2015 6:27 am

scatman77 wrote:
WataugaMan wrote:
Oh man....you didn't even have to use "Carolina." All you had to say was "going to the Pharmacy" and it was all over: two hot dogs all the way, fries, and the best cherry smash you've ever had. I also agree that Tommy's subs were awesome!
The Pharmacy also had a killer BBQ sandwich. I used to have them put a thin slice of onion on my BBQ sandwich, then I'd add some Texas Pete. Oh, and I didn't forget to add cold slaw too. The sandwich with some steak fries and that donut. Yuuuum Yuuum!!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Fri May 22, 2015 9:35 am

MDaniels84 wrote:Dang Scat,
Granny's Donuts were the best. My two favorite places to eat in the early 80's were Grannys Donuts and Yogis Sub Shop - Yum ! :D
Dang right, add Buck's Biscuits for the win! To this day Yogi's is my gold standard on subs.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri May 22, 2015 10:07 am

fjblair wrote:
MDaniels84 wrote:Dang Scat,
Dang right, add Buck's Biscuits for the win! To this day Yogi's is my gold standard on subs.
I have got to try some of those Buck's Biscuits, never had one. That is, unless you count my Grandma Buck's biscuits then I have. On a side note, you're from Avery County, right? If so, the Buck side of my family originated from the Shell Creek, TN/Elk Park, NC area. Know any of em?

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Fri May 22, 2015 11:34 am

Gonzo wrote:
AppHoops wrote:

My boycott of franchise restaurants focuses mainly on Applebees, Chilis, and the rest of the like, which move from town to town destroying the livelihoods of local entrepreneurs and serving glorified Hungry Man meals.

KK is a North Carolina staple; they're big into corporate philanthropy; and serve the most delicious Southern doughnuts on Earth.
My favorite place to eat is, without an ounce of thought or debate, Woodlands! Try to go there for the Pig Out deal whenever possible. I realize I will come across as an old fart but I really hated seeing the Outback parked beside Woodlands. Don't get me started on the Outlets that were carved into the mountains leading into BR. Used to love hitting Holley's Tavern on Friday afternoon. Yes I can do without the chains in the high country as well. But man, KK is another story. I agree, they will make a stone cold killing!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 24, 2015 3:22 pm

AppHoops wrote:The biggest takeaway for me (and perhaps the most important one) is that with KK coming into town, the eyesore / gag reflex that is Long John Silvers can finally cease to exist in our town and our memories.
Can't find fried clam strips anywhere besides LJS's.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”