Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Kayaking

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Kayaking

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 25, 2015 4:47 pm

Anyone kayak?

Thoughts on the Yadkin below W Kerr Scorr Res to Badin Lake.

New to this so I am not in need of anything complex and dangerous. But I would like to try something a bit more moving than the lakes in my area.

Dan/Haw/Deep River are close by to me as well. Thoughts?
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

kiddbrewer

Re: Kayaking

Unread post by kiddbrewer » Mon May 25, 2015 5:32 pm

My wife and I just bought some kayaks and I would like to see some of the responses as well.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 25, 2015 6:42 pm

What I do know is that the Triangle area has a paddle club. I think they travel around the state but I want something a bit closer to the Triad area. What may have been a Triad area club has a dead link for an online presence. I would imagine the Charlotte area has something, esp since the Whitewater Center is there. The group I heard about that was in the Piedmont may have been based in Charlotte anyway.

I found a group in the western part of the state, but that area is a bit more than I care to get into in a kayak. That group seemed to be into the more extreme side. I want exercise and let App sports give me my adrenaline rush for now.

There are 3 or 4 outfitters on the Yadkin and there can be camping at Pilot Mountain. I think that would be fun to start up stream and kayak the day away from Wilkesboro or Ronda and pitch a tent at Pilot Mountain and then kayak a bit more the next day. A good bit of that follows the train tracks that I would love to see.

There are some outfitters on the Dan, Haw and Deep Rivers. And I think all of them will do a drop service if you have your own equipment. The main issue there would be cost of the taxi service.

I am just not sure what to expect for the river. That depends on rainfall and such I am sure but again moving water is what I want, but needing to take a course first or require a helmet, that is more than I need at present.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Mon May 25, 2015 7:27 pm

Although it's probably not close to your location, my friends and I hit The South Branch Potomac River near Springfield, WV. I always get a laugh out of the "rookies" in the above clip, never turn sideways in a rapid. 4:45 mark Anyway, it's filmed near Springfield Bridge, a couple mile above my friend's camp.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 25, 2015 8:19 pm

WataugaMan wrote:

Although it's probably not close to your location, my friends and I hit The South Branch Potomac River near Springfield, WV. I always get a laugh out of the "rookies" in the above clip, never turn sideways in a rapid. 4:45 mark Anyway, it's filmed near Springfield Bridge, a couple mile above my friend's camp.
I think I could handle those type of rapids, though when the clip said casualty and fun was had by all, I was thinking, "What?"

I fell out of a raft at NOC many years ago. I survived so that does not scare me. I just went on down the river until the rapid was over and crawled back in the raft and joined my group. How deep is the Potomac in this area?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Tue May 26, 2015 6:52 am

River level depends on rainfall, snow, hurricanes, etc. I've seen the river very low and very high. My friend, Dave's Camp, this about four acres or so. He has his camper up on the higher level of his property. He moves the camper out every fall. It floods there mostly in early spring when the snow melts. He has a place to shower at camp, however, he can't have a septic tank there due to the flooding so we have to use a porta pottie (worst part of trip). Anyway, the floods around the river can get bad. I pulled over one time to take a break, there was a big ass sycamore tree there. A tricycle was at the top of it, all kinds of crap gets washed down stream.

Anyway, generally speaking the river gets around 4 to 6 feet deep most of the time. Class one and two rapids on our float trips, nothing major. However, there are some higher class rapids near-by.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:38 am

Update on some kayaking info.

Greensboro does evening kayaking on the two small lakes every Wednesday during the summer and on Full-moon evening does kayaking on Lake Townsend. I plan to kayak Lake Higgins, 8-10 pm on 5 Aug. I'll be wearing an App hat.

Yadkin River Keepers has an event 22 August.

http://www.yadkinriverkeeper.org/conten ... -thon-2015.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”