Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Live TV while Tailgating - Best Option?

Appftw
School: Appalachian State

Live TV while Tailgating - Best Option?

Unread post by Appftw » Thu Aug 06, 2015 10:27 am

I just finished putting the final touches on my cornhole boards and a "Today I Give My All" sign so now I feel like the only thing my tailgate is missing is a TV with the ability to watch other games before ours. Does anyone here have any experience with this in the High Country?

I can't get a campus Wi-Fi signal from my spot unfortunately, but I'm open to pretty much anything. I'd like to avoid having to subscribe to Directtv or Dish but if I have to I will. I know Dish offers a pay-as-you-go option but not sure of the rate and how well their signal works in Boone. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

AppinVA

Re: Live TV while Tailgating - Best Option?

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu Aug 06, 2015 2:50 pm

It has the potential to be costly, but could you use your phone as a hotspot, and somehow tether it to a computer with a good sized monitor?
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 06, 2015 4:26 pm

If you have Dish you can buy a Tailgater and a receiver. About $500 one time purchase and $8 a month .

scatman77

Unread post by scatman77 » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:25 pm

Appftw wrote:I just finished putting the final touches on my cornhole boards and a "Today I Give My All" sign so now I feel like the only thing my tailgate is missing is a TV with the ability to watch other games before ours. Does anyone here have any experience with this in the High Country?

I can't get a campus Wi-Fi signal from my spot unfortunately, but I'm open to pretty much anything. I'd like to avoid having to subscribe to Directtv or Dish but if I have to I will. I know Dish offers a pay-as-you-go option but not sure of the rate and how well their signal works in Boone. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
If you have DirecTV could you login to your account via computer and then hook it up to a smart TV. I assume you'd like decent size, at least 40-45"?
We don't slide at Appalachian State. It's a sign of weakness.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 06, 2015 5:46 pm

In the absence of wi fi. Where streaming is difficult the satellite option is better.

wb247

Unread post by wb247 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 1:53 am

Any way to do a test run of OTA reception from your spot? Won't have the options satellite gives you, but it comes commitment-free.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:23 am

I have Directv and just purchased a separate SWM dish from ebay. On game day, I just take my box from home, hook it up to my separate dish, line up the dish and we are good to go.

If you have questions come check us out at the top Liberry deck and I can show you.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:32 am

wb247 wrote:Any way to do a test run of OTA reception from your spot? Won't have the options satellite gives you, but it comes commitment-free.
OTA? Is that just an antenna? Forgive me, but all of this is new to me. Sounds promising tho.
AppStateNews wrote:I have Directv and just purchased a separate SWM dish from ebay. On game day, I just take my box from home, hook it up to my separate dish, line up the dish and we are good to go.

If you have questions come check us out at the top Liberry deck and I can show you.
How much did that dish run you on ebay, if you don't mind me asking? I'm warming up to the idea of directtv (free Sunday Ticket for a year doesn't hurt).

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:34 am

Just plug up your Roku/Apple TV/Any of the sticks and go to Verizon and get a wifi hotspot. They have a better signal than using a hotspot from your mobile device....we use them at work and pull a strong signal while traveling. Also, keep in mind; I believe the strongest towers around the Boone area are Verizon not AT&T.

You can stream from Watch ESPN and other channels like that.

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:48 am

Appftw wrote:
AppStateNews wrote:I have Directv and just purchased a separate SWM dish from ebay. On game day, I just take my box from home, hook it up to my separate dish, line up the dish and we are good to go.

How much did that dish run you on ebay, if you don't mind me asking? I'm warming up to the idea of directtv (free Sunday Ticket for a year doesn't hurt).

It was right around $150. I found this link which is basically the same thing I have -- http://www.ebay.com/itm/DIRECTV-SWiM-HD ... 3f18a769aa

I would highly recommend going with a SWiM dish over anything else though since all the new DirecTV boxes use the SWiM technology.

Also, if you go this route, if you also hook it up at your house, Directv will say its required for you to make two accounts -- it's not required at all. I haven't had any issues in 2 years.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:24 am

boonetown1 wrote:Just plug up your Roku/Apple TV/Any of the sticks and go to Verizon and get a wifi hotspot. They have a better signal than using a hotspot from your mobile device....we use them at work and pull a strong signal while traveling. Also, keep in mind; I believe the strongest towers around the Boone area are Verizon not AT&T.

You can stream from Watch ESPN and other channels like that.
I have been wondering about this option, but I did a little research and it sounded like it could get expensive. How does the billing for data work with a mobile hotspot?

boonetown1

Unread post by boonetown1 » Fri Aug 07, 2015 10:50 am

I know you can use a hotspot prepaid or add it to your plan. Take a look at the cost calculator for streaming data at link below. I'd say if you stream standard def, it could be pretty cost efficient . Should be suitable for tailgating as well.
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/spla ... rPopup.jsp

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”