• Birthdays

RIP: Toni Wyatt

User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 383 times

RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by scatman77 » Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm

https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/6/ ... -away.aspx

The university has reported the passing of former volleyball coach Toni Wyatt from ALS. I remember her coming on board while I was in school in the late 1970's.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 596 times
Been thanked: 1556 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by Rekdiver » Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 pm

It’s rare I hear of women with ALS. She was a good coach.



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by scatman77 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:30 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:19 pm
It’s rare I hear of women with ALS. She was a good coach.
My thoughts as well.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25642
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 994 times
Been thanked: 1236 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm
https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/6/ ... -away.aspx

The university has reported the passing of former volleyball coach Toni Wyatt from ALS. I remember her coming on board while I was in school in the late 1970's.
Scat, this is especially sad for me. Growing up in that Southern Railroad hub--metro Spencer, NC--Toni was my down-the-street neighbor and classmate at North Rowan. She was an elite 3A prep athlete in those days. She was a year older and graduated in the NRHS Class of '61. We were in undergrad and grad school at App at the same time. Life is precious--and short. :(


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm

asu66 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm
https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/6/ ... -away.aspx

The university has reported the passing of former volleyball coach Toni Wyatt from ALS. I remember her coming on board while I was in school in the late 1970's.
Scat, this is especially sad for me. Growing up in that Southern Railroad hub--metro Spencer, NC--Toni was my down-the-street neighbor and classmate at North Rowan. She was an elite 3A prep athlete in those days. She was a year older and graduated in the NRHS Class of '61. We were in undergrad and grad school at App at the same time. Life is precious--and short. :(
Wow...that's amazing. I was there when Toni was hired and had no idea she was a Rowan County gal much less a Cavalier! I remember her as intense and demanding and her teams always played hard.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25642
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 994 times
Been thanked: 1236 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:59 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm
asu66 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm
https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/6/ ... -away.aspx

The university has reported the passing of former volleyball coach Toni Wyatt from ALS. I remember her coming on board while I was in school in the late 1970's.
Scat, this is especially sad for me. Growing up in that Southern Railroad hub--metro Spencer, NC--Toni was my down-the-street neighbor and classmate at North Rowan. She was an elite 3A prep athlete in those days. She was a year older and graduated in the NRHS Class of '61. We were in undergrad and grad school at App at the same time. Life is precious--and short. :(
Wow...that's amazing. I was there when Toni was hired and had no idea she was a Rowan County gal much less a Cavalier! I remember her as intense and demanding and her teams always played hard.
Toni was dedicated to her profession and she expected to win--the right way! Quit wasn't in her vocab.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

User avatar
asu66
Posts: 25642
Joined: Tue Jun 27, 2000 1:21 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 994 times
Been thanked: 1236 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 24, 2019 5:02 pm

scatman77 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:01 pm
asu66 wrote:
Mon Jun 24, 2019 3:08 pm
scatman77 wrote:
Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm
https://appstatesports.com/news/2019/6/ ... -away.aspx

The university has reported the passing of former volleyball coach Toni Wyatt from ALS. I remember her coming on board while I was in school in the late 1970's.
Scat, this is especially sad for me. Growing up in that Southern Railroad hub--metro Spencer, NC--Toni was my down-the-street neighbor and classmate at North Rowan. She was an elite 3A prep athlete in those days. She was a year older and graduated in the NRHS Class of '61. We were in undergrad and grad school at App at the same time. Life is precious--and short. :(
Wow...that's amazing. I was there when Toni was hired and had no idea she was a Rowan County gal much less a Cavalier! I remember her as intense and demanding and her teams always played hard.
Toni did have perfectionistic tendencies. She always intended to win--but to do it the right way.


If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

NewApp
Posts: 4266
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 371 times
Been thanked: 348 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by NewApp » Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 pm

This is sad indeed. ALS covers victims in all occupations, but why do we hear of such a tie-in of victims being involved in athletics and/or entertainment (e.g. Bob Waters, Lou Gherig, Steve Gleason, Tim Green, Catfish Hunter, Mike Porcaro of Toto )?



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:38 am

NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 pm
This is sad indeed. ALS covers victims in all occupations, but why do we hear of such a tie-in of victims being involved in athletics and/or entertainment (e.g. Bob Waters, Lou Gherig, Steve Gleason, Tim Green, Catfish Hunter, Mike Porcaro of Toto )?
You mention Coach Waters at WCU: I had the occasion to meet him when he came to recruit our QB back in the fall of 1986. He was wheelchair bound but still was very engaging. My years at ASU and on the sidelines when he'd be across the way were always a challenge; his teams were very competitive. Here is the link to a SI article from many years ago, detailing his struggles with ALS.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/08/24/115 ... rmer-49ers


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

NewApp
Posts: 4266
Joined: Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:59 am
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 371 times
Been thanked: 348 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:51 am

scatman77 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:38 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 pm
This is sad indeed. ALS covers victims in all occupations, but why do we hear of such a tie-in of victims being involved in athletics and/or entertainment (e.g. Bob Waters, Lou Gherig, Steve Gleason, Tim Green, Catfish Hunter, Mike Porcaro of Toto )?
You mention Coach Waters at WCU: I had the occasion to meet him when he came to recruit our QB back in the fall of 1986. He was wheelchair bound but still was very engaging. My years at ASU and on the sidelines when he'd be across the way were always a challenge; his teams were very competitive. Here is the link to a SI article from many years ago, detailing his struggles with ALS.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/08/24/115 ... rmer-49ers

Mike, I never met him in his better years in the chair, but I did meet him when he was having to blow in the tube to make it go and "steer" it. He was almost incoherent. It was very difficult for the WCU fans to let him go as you probably know.



User avatar
scatman77
Posts: 780
Joined: Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:38 am
Location: York, SC
Has thanked: 14 times
Been thanked: 383 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by scatman77 » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:03 am

NewApp wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:51 am
scatman77 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 6:38 am
NewApp wrote:
Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:11 pm
This is sad indeed. ALS covers victims in all occupations, but why do we hear of such a tie-in of victims being involved in athletics and/or entertainment (e.g. Bob Waters, Lou Gherig, Steve Gleason, Tim Green, Catfish Hunter, Mike Porcaro of Toto )?
You mention Coach Waters at WCU: I had the occasion to meet him when he came to recruit our QB back in the fall of 1986. He was wheelchair bound but still was very engaging. My years at ASU and on the sidelines when he'd be across the way were always a challenge; his teams were very competitive. Here is the link to a SI article from many years ago, detailing his struggles with ALS.

https://www.si.com/vault/1987/08/24/115 ... rmer-49ers

Mike, I never met him in his better years in the chair, but I did meet him when he was having to blow in the tube to make it go and "steer" it. He was almost incoherent. It was very difficult for the WCU fans to let him go as you probably know.
Yes, it was. I always had respect for him even though they were competitive enough to win a couple times. He'd recruited and signed our QB who was a perfect fit for his passing offense. The kid's freshman year Cottrell went down with a knee injury. The next game our boy started and set a freshman QB record with something like 450+ yards. All was well until the end of the season when Coach Waters was unceremoniously rolled out the door. The next coach was an option/run coach and our guy was left out in the cold; he was not a running QB so he was relegated to 2nd and 3rd on the depth chart his remaining 3 years.


Appalachian American by birth; Mountaineer by the Grace of God!

User avatar
Rekdiver
Posts: 4287
Joined: Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:14 pm
School: Appalachian State
Has thanked: 596 times
Been thanked: 1556 times

Re: RIP: Toni Wyatt

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:49 am

My college roommate, a fraternity brother's son and a former boss. Roommate died and the other two are in final stages of ALS. It sucks.



Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”

  • Who is online
  • In total there are 20 users online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 20 guests

    Most users ever online was 1551 on Sun Sep 02, 2018 4:31 pm

    Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 20 guests