Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MSOC: Coastal Carolina at App State In Progress at Ted Mack

asu66
School: Appalachian State

MSOC: Coastal Carolina at App State In Progress at Ted Mack

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:03 pm

Crucially important match for Fun Belt tourney seeding and bragging rights under way at The Mack. CCU leads 1-0 at the half on a goal in the 14th minute. Play has been fairly even with a slight edge to the Apps, except unfortunately for a quick shot by Jair Espinoza of San Miguel Petapa, Guatemala off of a cross into the box.

Shots are even, CCU has two saves and the Apps hold a 6-4 advantage in corners.

I can't overemphasize the importance of the outcome of this match. CCU has a big, fast and physical international roster. A win would be a feather in the cap for Jason O'Keefe and his recruiting efforts.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Re: MSOC: Coastal Carolina at App State In Progress at Ted Mack

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:20 pm

CCU has turned up the wick in the second period. They're giving the Apps a fit in early going.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:50 pm

Apps score on a Stephen Chapman header in the 81st minute to even the score at 1-1. Chanticleers turn up the wick again with under 3 minutes to play in regulation.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Headed to first OT period. Go Apps!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:26 pm

Coastal wins 2-1 on a goal in the 93rd minute by Miguel Gutierrez of Sevilla, Spain.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Wed Oct 19, 2016 9:09 pm

Thanks for the updates! Would have been really nice to beat these guys. But I think, from what I read, the program has really turned the corner. I don't think we would have even competed with these guys just a year or two ago.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:46 am

Coastal was likely the most physical team we'll see, from a size perspective. Their roster included six guys at 6'4" or taller, each weighing in the 200 pound range. And they looked every bit of 6'4", 200 lbs - they were huge! They were bigger than the average soccer player, to be sure, but honestly, Coastal seemed beatable for teams who are able to quickly move and control the ball with one and two touch passing. We are not yet reached this level in playing style, but another year or two recruiting will make a difference, to be sure. Also, on another note, we missed Raheem Somersall, one of our best, and most physically gifted players. Raheem had the privilege of being called up to his National Team (St. Kitts) for training, which speaks well for him and for ASU. Raheem does an excellent job winning balls in the middle of the field and we missed him for sure.

Saturday 10/22 (today) is Senior Day, and my wife and I will have the opportunity to walk out onto the pitch with our son (Ben Steen) for his final home match at the Ted Mack - sure to be a surreal experience for this old ASU grad. I can't be prouder of Ben and his classmates, Keegan Tanaka, Jordan Melia, Stephen Chapman, and Donavan Japp. This is a tight knit group and top notch guys who will represent ASU very well as they move into the next phase of life. Knowing my own somewhat average to mediocre academic performance at Appalachian, I am most impressed by what this group has accomplished in the classroom, while managing the intense time demands of college athletes. Their days start early and finish late, but in most cases, they have performed very well in the classroom and will graduate on time, in four years. They each truly love playing soccer and want to make the most of the few remaining games, finish strong, hopefully with a bang!

Apppstate

Unread post by Apppstate » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:14 am

I watched the game last night and we have not turned a corner. What a poor game and poor performance by the team. I looked at the games we have won and those teams combined for a record of 12-42-4. Going to be a long process to rebuild. I'm not sure it's possible with the state of our facilities. I am pretty close with a few alums of the program and they are starting to hear rumblings about the coaching staff already.
Going to be a long road, and I can't see the attraction for recruits, we have to go foreign, but that requires money. I doubt the administration is interested in funding that. I don't have much hope for the program after watching that game. Yikes

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”