Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Make plans to be in Boone on Feb. 19 for App Wrestling hosting Indiana

T-Dog

Make plans to be in Boone on Feb. 19 for App Wrestling hosting Indiana

Unread post by T-Dog » Mon Feb 06, 2017 10:33 am

With App's criteria tiebreaker win over UTC yesterday by one single point, the Mat App are in the SoCon driver's seat. One last dual remains, at winless VMI on Wednesday. As long as the Apps win that, they will win the SoCon with a perfect 7-0 mark. And even if the unthinkable happens on Wednesday, I believe App would have the tiebreaker over UTC.

Here's comes to exciting part. Winning the SoCon means App would get to host, yes host, a Big Ten team in the NWCA National Duals on February 19th at 3:00 p.m. The National Duals are like the BCS of wrestling. All the conference champions and some wild cards face off in a single match against a Big Ten team. The Big Ten is, by far, the best wrestling conference in America. It's just one dual each. Last year, App went to Indiana and beat the Hoosiers in Bloomington in their NWCA dual. This year, the non-Big Ten teams host.

It's not a sure thing who App would host. It would probably be a middle-of-the-pack Big Ten team because the SoCon is a middle-of-the-pack wrestling conference.

One of said teams is the Michigan Wolverines.

Even if it's not Michigan, it could be Purdue, Indiana again, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Northwestern or you get the idea.

Varsity was packed on Sunday for UTC even with extra bleachers, so for a National Dual versus a Big Ten team, it could be the biggest crowd in the building since basketball was played there. And if I was John Mark Bentley, I would flat refuse any offer to move the dual to the Holmes Center.

firemoose
School: Appalachian State

Re: Make plans to be in Boone on Feb. 19 for App Wrestling hosting Indiana

Unread post by firemoose » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:07 pm

IU repays us for last year.

appfanjj
School: Appalachian State

Re: Make plans to be in Boone on Feb. 19 for App Wrestling hosting Indiana

Unread post by appfanjj » Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:59 pm

Working in Boone this weekend so I went to the wrestling match. Good crowd that was into it and Varsity Gym looked great. Couldn't help but think back to some of the awesome basketball I have seen played in there. Good luck to our wrestlers as they move on toward the post season. Really glad I went.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”