Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Softball Coach Needed

CharlestonAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Softball Coach Needed

Unread post by CharlestonAppFan » Thu May 11, 2017 8:01 am

CVAPP wrote:
T-Dog wrote:More App State head coaches don't live in Boone than live in Boone.
Is that because they can afford nicer homes in places like Lenoir? It may have changed, though I seriously doubt it has, but the Boone residential market is pricey. compared to what can be purchased 30-45 minutes away in most directions.
Sorry, that made me :lol: until I almost p'd myself! While there may be more expensive homes in Lenoir (that's debatable actually), not sure if I'd call Lenoir a better place to live than Boone. And before you ask, I'm a native from Lenoir (big metropolis of Whitnel to be exact :lol: ) that preferred living in Boone obviously.

Not trying to start anything with you CVAPP, just wanted to poke a little fun at my old hometown :D I live in Charleston now, so you can imagine the prices of homes down here! :shock:

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu May 11, 2017 8:11 am

My two cents says I would like to see an experienced DIV I head coach. We are APP State we don't need to be a training ground any longer. We should be looking for the same qualities and experience we would look for in a football coach. We did not move up as a football team we moved up as a university. We should be top three in the Sun Belt in EVERY sport. Period!

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Thu May 11, 2017 3:39 pm

huskie3 wrote:I think we should look at assistant coaches from SEC, ACC teams that operate at the higher level.
That didn't work too well last time we tried that with baseball.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu May 11, 2017 7:05 pm

Rekdiver wrote:I believe I'd get the coach from Alexander Central High school.............
The one at Peiffer

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu May 11, 2017 11:41 pm

CharlestonAppFan wrote:
CVAPP wrote:
T-Dog wrote:More App State head coaches don't live in Boone than live in Boone.
Is that because they can afford nicer homes in places like Lenoir? It may have changed, though I seriously doubt it has, but the Boone residential market is pricey. compared to what can be purchased 30-45 minutes away in most directions.
Sorry, that made me :lol: until I almost p'd myself! While there may be more expensive homes in Lenoir (that's debatable actually), not sure if I'd call Lenoir a better place to live than Boone. And before you ask, I'm a native from Lenoir (big metropolis of Whitnel to be exact :lol: ) that preferred living in Boone obviously.

Not trying to start anything with you CVAPP, just wanted to poke a little fun at my old hometown :D I live in Charleston now, so you can imagine the prices of homes down here! :shock:
I am not sure where I lost you, but I was not passing judgement on either town. It' was simply a suggestion that the price of owning a home might be a reason why some of our coaches (and other university employees too) might choose to commute to Boone rather than reside in Boone. Nonetheless, I am glad you got a good laugh. Perhaps this post will bring another.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri May 12, 2017 5:37 am

Unless I'm the head football I'm renting anyway!!!

mountaineerman

Unread post by mountaineerman » Fri May 12, 2017 1:46 pm

I would take a look at the Enka jets coach they have done a lot with little and along with some recent state titles .

NCSB

Unread post by NCSB » Fri May 12, 2017 2:14 pm

Cobb told me he never interviewed MS, and when asked he didn't seem to know him. Not sure why MS's name keeps coming up year after year. Nothing against him. He is a great coach. Not sure he's the right fit. Don't underestimate what it takes, and the experience needed to put a competitive program together to compete in the Sun Belt. It's one very tough league.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Fri May 12, 2017 2:27 pm

As far as where head coaches live, many live in Blowing Rock or Foscoe (Echota).

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Fri May 12, 2017 8:23 pm

Sherrill and Pack are both great. Of the two I would say Pack because he has served at a successful D1 program. The ASUN is not the SB when it comes to softball though.

app

Unread post by app » Thu May 18, 2017 8:02 am

I'll give you this...Monte is one heck of coach and App State would be lucky to have him. His demands are great, but necessary to be successful at our level. He knows how to create and coach All-American athletes and build a championship program; as seen in just his two years at Pfeiffer. You would see the end of the high turn-over in student-athletes that this program has seen for years now and you would see a disciplined team take the field every single day.

I've been around softball a great portion of my life in North Carolina and we have the girls in this area to build something great. Monte can recruit, and I'm interested and highly optimistic to see what our program would be capable of if he was given the reigns.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu May 18, 2017 10:30 am

I was told about a very sad situation over the weekend. The source is 100% not to be questioned. A girl who had her heart set on playing for us came for a visit. She was told by some players that this was the last place she should come. She did not sign. Now here is the really sad thing. She wanted so badly to be at APP that she will be a student here and not be a player. With the new situation it is hoped she will try and walk on. Just how bad could it have been that players would feel that way. Don't get me wrong there can be problems but softball players are some of the happiest athletes you will find.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu May 18, 2017 10:56 am

bcoach wrote:She was told by some players that this was the last place she should come. She did not sign. Now here is the really sad thing. She wanted so badly to be at APP that she will be a student here and not be a player. With the new situation it is hoped she will try and walk on.
The new coach might want to hold tryouts in the fall for every single position on the team.

Between a lot of former and current players RT'ing and Heart'ing the original news and this, sounds like coaching isn't the only area that needs a reassessment.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu May 18, 2017 10:57 am

To show how competitive the Sun Belt is, Georgia Southern announced yesterday they wouldn't retain their coach. 176-166 in six years including two SoCon titles in her first two seasons. Went 24-29 (12-15) this past season.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu May 18, 2017 11:03 am

T-Dog wrote:
bcoach wrote:She was told by some players that this was the last place she should come. She did not sign. Now here is the really sad thing. She wanted so badly to be at APP that she will be a student here and not be a player. With the new situation it is hoped she will try and walk on.
The new coach might want to hold tryouts in the fall for every single position on the team.

Between a lot of former and current players RT'ing and Heart'ing the original news and this, sounds like coaching isn't the only area that needs a reassessment.
So very true BUT there is an old saying that the fish rots from the head. There is a possibility and I say possibility that a new coach can salvage the current players if they can make the cut.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Thu May 18, 2017 11:23 am

Sounds very similar to the baseball situation a year ago.

It would appear this is another case of a poor hire by Cobb. I'd be concerned if I were a GSU fan.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Sun May 21, 2017 2:14 pm

Word is the next hire could ultimately decide the fate of Softball at App. There are no immediate plans of a new softball field. This next hire will be a young male as that is what the current players are asking for. If there is some success in the first three years then there will be a new stadium announced with an extension. If the new hire does not get the job done, we could see the bulldozers lining up on Jack Branch drive and the end of Softball at App for a period of time. Space would be reserved at the WHS site for a future return of SB. With so many projects in line, the administration is not going to continue to pour money into something that is so terrible. For Title IX requirements, most likely replacement would be a swim team to compete in a conference other than the Sun Belt. Facility already in place st SRC.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Sun May 21, 2017 2:21 pm

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:Word is the next hire could ultimately decide the fate of Softball at App. There are no immediate plans of a new softball field. This next hire will be a young male as that is what the current players are asking for. If there is some success in the first three years then there will be a new stadium announced with an extension. If the new hire does not get the job done, we could see the bulldozers lining up on Jack Branch drive and the end of Softball at App for a period of time. Space would be reserved at the WHS site for a future return of SB. With so many projects in line, the administration is not going to continue to pour money into something that is so terrible. For Title IX requirements, most likely replacement would be a swim team to compete in a conference other than the Sun Belt. Facility already in place st SRC.
So with that thought process should we expect to see the same thing in baseball and mens basketball?

appbio91

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun May 21, 2017 2:37 pm

App does not pour money into anything except football. Hiring a coach and retrofitting a baseball field constitutes minimal support IMO. It was just a few years back that softball was undefeated at home and regular season SoCon champs. If we bulldoze the home of all struggling sports programs at App we might have nothing left but football.

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sun May 21, 2017 2:42 pm

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:Word is the next hire could ultimately decide the fate of Softball at App. There are no immediate plans of a new softball field. This next hire will be a young male as that is what the current players are asking for. If there is some success in the first three years then there will be a new stadium announced with an extension. If the new hire does not get the job done, we could see the bulldozers lining up on Jack Branch drive and the end of Softball at App for a period of time. Space would be reserved at the WHS site for a future return of SB. With so many projects in line, the administration is not going to continue to pour money into something that is so terrible. For Title IX requirements, most likely replacement would be a swim team to compete in a conference other than the Sun Belt. Facility already in place st SRC.
Sorry @River but I'm skeptical of this post. Especially that we'd scrap one program to start a brand new one...let alone swimming.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”