Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

WSOC Exhibition @ ETenn Bucs 4 PM Today

asu66
School: Appalachian State

WSOC Exhibition @ ETenn Bucs 4 PM Today

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:53 am

Our Mountaineer WSOC squad, in pre-season camp for about a week, will make the short trek to Johnson City later today to meet the Bucs in an exhibition contest set for a 4 PM kick-off. The two squads met in exhibition play last August and battled to a 1-1 draw.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

asu66

Re: WSOC Exhibition @ ETenn Bucs 4 PM Today

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:54 pm

A line of thunderstorms moving through the Johnson City area will put a damper on today's scheduled exhibition. If the decision is to wait out the weather threat (lightning), the match could be delayed by an hour or more.

Should they decide to "play on," look for the ETSU to be led by flashy junior forward Eleonora Goldoni (Ferrara, Italy) who has been named to the Italian senior women's national team. Goldoni's team has already qualified for the 2019 FIFA Women's World Cup.

The Apps are expected to be led by senior forward Kat Greer (Cayce, SC), junior mid Ava Dawson (Greenville, NC), junior mid/forward Emmily Cowie (Davidson, NC) and junior mid Maggie Hanusek (Cumming, GA).

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:21 pm

[tweet]<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The exhibition at ETSU has been pushed back to 7 pm due to the weather.</p>&mdash; App State W Soccer (@appstatewsoccer) <a href=" 8, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>
[/tweet]

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:22 pm

Ouch.......lost 4-1.....

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 am

Definite ouch! The Bucs are building a powerhouse. They have a 20 player roster dominated by 11 international players and 5 out-of-state players. They have 4 token players from Tenn.

The Apps have a 31 player roster--dominated by 26 in-state players along with 5 from out-of-state. We have 0 (zero) international players. This "zero" stat is a killer.

A different philosophy and approach--a different level of support--different results. :(

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Aug 09, 2018 4:46 am

Coming off a 4 win season, hoping this reflects how good ETSU is and not how bad we are.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:10 am

asu66 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 am
Definite ouch! The Bucs are building a powerhouse. They have a 20 player roster dominated by 11 international players and 5 out-of-state players. They have 4 token players from Tenn.

The Apps have a 31 player roster--dominated by 26 in-state players along with 5 from out-of-state. We have 0 (zero) international players. This "zero" stat is a killer.

A different philosophy and approach--a different level of support--different results. :(
Off to Brazil to recruit!!!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:25 pm

A cheap flight to London or Manchester, a RyanAir ticket (yuck) and a EuroPass would allow a coach to ride the rails to visit English targets and continue by rail to France, Germany, Austria, the Slovac and Czech Republics, up to Denmark and over to Dublin via RyanAir for more rail stops and then a redeye flight back to Charlotte. That could be done in 8 to 10 days if your Euro contacts were in the loop. J.O'Keefe just did it on a smaller scale with his whole team in January. He has the contacts and would kindly share with our women's staff.

Then there's the issue of a woman traveling alone in Europe. That's a non-starter and Coach Strickland doesn't have a guy on her staff to send! Oh yeah, nor does she have an athletic department credit card. The same two issues apply to your Brazil trip. Guess these plans won't fly...

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 09, 2018 12:39 pm

We need a full time "Generic" recruiter for our olympic sports.

MountaineerMafia

Unread post by MountaineerMafia » Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:46 pm

asu66 wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:44 am

Why is zero international women a 'killer'?

I understand why this matters quite a bit on the mens side, as the rest of the world is greatly superior in the talent category. However, with the woman it seems to be opposite. Not saying we can't find talent elsewhere, obviously. But why use the resources when there is plenty of talent in this very country. It's obvious that we just aren't looking in the right areas.
“I never lie to any man because I don’t fear anyone. The only time you lie is when you are afraid” ~ John Gotti

Apppstate

Unread post by Apppstate » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm

I have to agree mafia. As a womens sport In a division one athletic program that houses football, I can’t buy the argument that the funding isn’t there for that trip.
And how does Okeefe get a mention here. You think he has the answers for women’s soccer recent struggles? Last I checked half his roster left or quit after last season and he really hasn’t found a solution for his own programs struggles yet.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:33 pm

Apppstate wrote:
Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:21 pm
And how does Okeefe get a mention here. You think has the answers for women’s soccer recent struggles? Last I checked half his roster left or quit after last season and he really hasn’t found a solution for his own programs struggles yet.
Coach O'Keefe is trying to rebuild a long-gone winning culture at App. He has high standards and is allowed just 9.9 scholarships to share among 30 players. Some of the guys he brought in over the previous two recruiting classes departed because they could see they didn't have the talent to play at the D-I level and they weren't willing to meet O'Keefe's training requirements to improve. Some just gave up and quit and others were shown the door for a variety of reasons. Coach has a strict three-strike-rule.

Somersall, to the best of my knowledge, is the only player who actually transferred to another D-I program (Fl Gulf Coast). He had talent, but he shied away from the training regimen and the High Country weather. Jake Agnew left due to a serious knee injury that could end his playing career.

The fourteen new recruits seem to be a cut above O'Keefe's previous classes but only time will tell. By the end of last season, we had as many as eight freshmen starting. They're sophs now and the new recruits will sprinkle in here and there early. We'll see how it goes.

BTW, Coach O'Keefe's wife, Julie, is seriously ill. He's carrying a heavy load on his shoulders. Coach and his family need our positive thoughts and prayers. Coach needs time with a very, very young squad. I'm a bit more optimistic now than I was a year ago.

ASU84

Unread post by ASU84 » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:56 pm

Prayers for Julie, Coach, and family.

Apppstate

Unread post by Apppstate » Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 pm

Prayers for his family but let’s see some results before we say he should be giving Coach Strickland advice on anything.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am

Apppstate wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 pm
Prayers for his family but let’s see some results before we say he should be giving Coach Strickland advice on anything.
We're-side-by-side on prayer and support for Coach O'Keefe and his family. We just differ on whether Jason can be helpful to Sarah with recruiting. Jason has recruited Western, Central and Eastern Europe his entire adult life. That's for the most part where colleges and universities get the players that become real difference makers in their programs. He just last winter got a green light to plan a European experience for his team and build in some recruiting visits along the way. It seems to have gone as well as could be expected--so far. The test is always in the taste of the pudding in Nov. We shall see.

My greater point is this. Sarah regularly recruits 85 to 95% of her players from NC high schools--both public and private. NC almost definitely has more four-year public and private colleges and universities with varsity women's teams than any other state on the south-to-north east coast--maybe in the entire country except maybe California. There aren't enough D-I prospect NC women's soccer student-athletes of that age to go around. So how's that working for her? Not well! Jason knows the people to call on in England, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy, Germany and Austria to find young women who might like to experience a college education and a soccer career in the states. He could and would advise her on such a trip, where to go, who to meet, how to get around, where to stay/eat to be in safe and secure locations and get nourishing meals at reasonable prices. He's done it for a living from Elon to Wake Forest to St. Louis to UNC_CH and now to App. He must know the ropes just a wee tad!

Now Gillin might not allocate the money for such a trip--maybe she could consider recruiting S. Fla, Burmuda and the Western Caribbean. That's not nearly as costly as Europe. She got to find a way to compete for players with South Alabama and other top-of-the-league soccer programs and soon or Gillin will make a change. She's 61-70-22 in nine years. Not terrible for using only NC players--but when you factor in SunBelt/SoCon conference losses, it turns ugly.

It's true that O'Keefe is only 10-17-10 in three seasons, but the first season really should be down-played. Coach O really didn't get to campus in time to do any serious recruiting and the holdover roster was real, real thin. The good in-state players were taken and he was limited to only in-state tuition schollys that year. And yes, it's true that he still hasn't been able to beat Hartwick. Tie, yes! Defeat, no!

He really, really needs an improved record this season.
Last edited by asu66 on Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:28 am

asu66 wrote:
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:00 am
Apppstate wrote:
Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:19 pm
We're-side-by-side on prayer and support for Coach O'Keefe and his family. We just differ on whether Jason can be helpful to Sarah with recruiting. Jason has recruited Western, Central and Eastern Europe his entire adult life. That's for the most part where colleges and universities get the players that become real difference makers in their programs. He just last winter got a green light to plan a European experience for his team and build in some recruiting visits along the way. It seems to have gone as well as could be expected--so far. The test is always in the taste of the pudding in Nov. We shall see.

My greater point is this. Sarah regularly recruits 85 to 95% of her players from NC high schools--both public and private. NC almost definitely has more four-year public and private colleges and universities with varsity women's teams than any other state on the south-to-north east coast--maybe in the entire country except maybe California. There aren't enough D-I prospect NC women's soccer student-athletes of that age to go around. So how's that working for her? Not well! Jason knows the people to call on in England, Ireland, Wales, France, Italy, Germany and Austria to find young women who might like to experience a college education and a soccer career in the states. He could and would advise her on such a trip, where to go, who to meet, how to get around, where to stay/eat to be in safe and secure locations and get nourishing meals at reasonable prices. He's done it for a living from Elon to Wake Forest to St. Louis to UNC_CH and now to App. He must know the ropes just a wee tad!

Now Gillin might not allocate the money for such a trip--maybe she could consider recruiting S. Fla, Burmuda and the Western Caribbean. That's not nearly as costly as Europe. She got to find a way to compete for players with South Alabama and other top-of-the-league soccer programs and soon or Gillin will make a change. She's 61-70-22 in nine years. Not terrible for using only NC players--but when you factor in SunBelt/SoCon conference losses, it turns ugly.

It's true that O'Keefe is only 10-17-10 in two seasons, but the first season really should be down-played. Coach O really didn't get to campus in time to do any serious recruiting and the holdover roster was real, real thin. The good in-state players were taken and he was limited to only in-state tuition schollys that year. And yes, it's true that he still hasn't been able to beat Hartwick. Tie, yes! Defeat, no!

He really, really needs an improved record this season.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”