Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Field Hockey wins 2nd game in conference tourney

Cincy App

Field Hockey wins 2nd game in conference tourney

Unread post by Cincy App » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:29 pm

App Field Hockey beat Longwood today by a 2-0 score avenging an OT loss earlier this year. App beat CMU yesterday. We advance to the semifinals of the MAC conference tournament tomorrow at 2:30 PM vs. Kent State. Congrats App Field Hockey!

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Re: Field Hockey wins 2nd game in conference tourney

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:17 pm

This young Mountaineer team is getting better every time they step on the pitch. The Apps got goals today from redshirt frosh Jillian Ulery and soph Veerle Van Heertum. Remember these two names!
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:20 pm

Remarkable effort. Win Apps!

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm

As a father of a future App State field hockey player (she and I hope at least, she's only 10), I love seeing the team do well.

We were disappointed to find the MAAC but not the MAC FH tournament on ESPN+.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 pm

So this is the sport that so many on the old Delphi board wanted dropped.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:13 pm
I don't want to see it gone, as it was the first co-ed sport at App and that is important to honor. Also the team members have great GPAs normally.

However from a practical standpoint there really is not a lot of field hockey in public schools in North Carolina and that is always going to mean we are competing with schools in the northeast part of the country for recruits and that is generally not going to play in our favor. What I remember from the Delphi board was most everyone suggesting that lacrosse would be a better fit given the number of high schools sponsoring the sport in our state and App could get in near the beginning of the growth of the sport. It is hard to argue with that and that does not mean one is trying to undermine the FH team.

It is good to see them moving the program in the right direction.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm
NewApp wrote:
I don't want to see it gone, as it was the first co-ed sport at App and that is important to honor. Also the team members have great GPAs normally.

However from a practical standpoint there really is not a lot of field hockey in public schools in North Carolina and that is always going to mean we are competing with schools in the northeast part of the country for recruits and that is generally not going to play in our favor. What I remember from the Delphi board was most everyone suggesting that lacrosse would be a better fit given the number of high schools sponsoring the sport in our state and App could get in near the beginning of the growth of the sport. It is hard to argue with that and that does not mean one is trying to undermine the FH team.

I thought the same and then I googled a bit and was very surprised.

There are a fair number of high schools in NC fielding teams:

http://www.maxpreps.com/search/default. ... ieldhockey

More than I expected to see.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:56 pm

Field hockey continues to grow in North Carolina. The more it grows, the better our hometown recruiting will become. Right now it's just about a necessity to recruit kids from New England and the Midwest. We have several international players on this year's team as well. I'm really proud of how the program has grown in the past couple of years and look forward to seeing Improvement in the future.

You are correct about the GPA's of the field hockey team. The goalie, Rachel Gaines, was student-athlete of the month last year. She has something like a 3.9 in environmental science. She's also a great Ambassador for the sport of field hockey.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:28 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:47 pm
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:24 pm
NewApp wrote:

I thought the same and then I googled a bit and was very surprised.

There are a fair number of high schools in NC fielding teams:

http://www.maxpreps.com/search/default. ... ieldhockey

More than I expected to see.
I think that is a list of high schools that can use their webpage as a starting point if a team exists. I am fairly certain some of those schools are not sponsoring field hockey. It is more than zero but no way the list is that long.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Thu Nov 01, 2018 8:49 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:29 pm
As a father of a future App State field hockey player (she and I hope at least, she's only 10), I love seeing the team do well.

We were disappointed to find the MAAC but not the MAC FH tournament on ESPN+.
Today's game had a video feed. I watched the final minutes of the game. Appstatesports.com should have a link for video of tomorrow's game. If not, it can be found on the MAC website (getsomemaction.com).

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:12 pm

Field hockey has entered a new era at App State. For the first time in memory, the program has its own facility (a very nice one at that) and has a regional conference to call home. I also believe we have a good coach. In addition, the program has a dedicated alumni group which has helped the program reach this promising stage. We finally have the resources to compete on a level playing field with most other programs. I look forward to seeing how our program continues to improve. In regards to recruiting, we recruit heavily in Virginia which is not too far away.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Nov 01, 2018 10:05 pm

I covered the 50th anniversary of women's athletics at App dinner a few weeks ago. More FH albums there than any other alum group, plus most of the original 1968 FH team were there.

I believe they said that App FH was the first female varsity sport at a NC public institution.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:21 am

NewApp wrote:
Context is important in any discussion, and you conveniently left out the context.

The discussion was that lacrosse might be a better fit since it was growing so rapidly. That discussion was also several years ago when we had no facility and were playing in a conference with Stanford and Cal. In the interim, App has built a dedicated facility for field hockey, has seen an alumni group step up to provide additional funding and support, and has found a better conference for field hockey. All of those developments render that years old discussion moot.

Was there any reason you left out all of the context of the discussion just to try to post something inflammatory?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:37 am

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Fri Nov 02, 2018 7:17 am

Cincy App wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:12 pm
In regards to recruiting, we recruit heavily in Virginia which is not too far away.
My 10 year old plays U14 with a club here in Richmond that has sent more than a few girls to App over the years (1 current player). We will be attending a tournament Thanksgiving weekend that will be a big recruiting opportunity for the older girls. App is listed as one of the schools to have a coach scouting the games. I know the Tidewater and NoVa are fertile recruiting grounds for App as well.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:46 pm

appst89 wrote:
Fri Nov 02, 2018 6:21 am
NewApp wrote:
Context is important in any discussion, and you conveniently left out the context.

The discussion was that lacrosse might be a better fit since it was growing so rapidly. That discussion was also several years ago when we had no facility and were playing in a conference with Stanford and Cal. In the interim, App has built a dedicated facility for field hockey, has seen an alumni group step up to provide additional funding and support, and has found a better conference for field hockey. All of those developments render that years old discussion moot.

Was there any reason you left out all of the context of the discussion just to try to post something inflammatory?
Technically that wasn’t him. It was Cline.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Cincy App

Unread post by Cincy App » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:57 pm

App Field Hockey lost 4-0 to Kent State today in the conference tourney semis. We were playing our 3rd game in 3 days. It was Kent's first game of the tourney. Still an encouraging season for the Lady Apps. Look forward to continued progress next year!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”