Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Men's Golf Head Coach Search

ColorAdo App
School: Appalachian State

Men's Golf Head Coach Search

Unread post by ColorAdo App » Wed May 08, 2019 9:59 am

In light of Redman's contract not being renewed, I'd like to throw a name out there.

John Cole is an App State Golf Alum and currently doing great things down in Fayetville. I'm not sure if he would want to leave what he's building down there to come to a tattered App program, but I think it's worth a shot. https://fsubroncos.com/news/2019/4/24/m ... -year.aspx

Should this program continue (I've seen posts about it being eliminated/subbed for another sport), we'll need someone who can recruit solid golfers up the mountain. We will also need some updated facilities, as we are far-surpassed by many in the state. It's tough to recruit and play at App. I played from '09 - '13 for Dicus. BGC is a great course for Boone, but not the best for growing a collegiate program. Mimosa hills is a solid collegiate course, but it's over an hour away. The practice facilities in Boone are sub-par for a D1 Golf school and, in this case for golf, sub-par is not good. Our indoor facilities are OK, but they aren't everything the team needs to be successful. I'm aware I'm raising problems without offering solutions. Can anyone offer up some solutions? Golf is one of the toughest programs to support and fund in my opinion, especially on top of a mountain.
Give 'Em Hell

GastonApp09

Re: Men's Golf Head Coach Search

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:14 am

I agree, Cole would be ideal. In terms of the program, it just doesn't seem to be promoted at all. Most of the major universities around us hold some sort of summer golf camp that provides recruiting opportunities both from a school side, as well as golf side. I believe that even Furman has a really good golf camp. As a high school golf coach here in NC, I have reached out to both the men's and women's golf coaches for several years trying to get them to host a golf camp, and neither ever even responded to me. I would love to send my teams to a camp in Boone so they can experience what App is all about, but the program doesn't seem to want to put any effort into it. I'm thinking about sending Doug Gillin an email about it shortly.
Body stuck in Gaston County...heart stuck in Boone! Go Apps!

ColorAdo App

Unread post by ColorAdo App » Wed May 08, 2019 11:03 am

GastonApp09 -

That's really disheartening to hear and be reminded of. I knew there were no summer programs, etc., but to not even get a response back makes it that much worse. It could be a really cool event up there with the perfect summer weather. That would be some awesome exposure to App, Boone, and mountain golf for kids who are interested or have never been. There is definitely potential, but you're right, there has been minimal effort put into these programs for years. furman does great things with pretty solid facilities down there as far reeving up interest in their program and golf in general.
Give 'Em Hell

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:14 am

GastonApp09 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 10:14 am
I agree, Cole would be ideal. In terms of the program, it just doesn't seem to be promoted at all. Most of the major universities around us hold some sort of summer golf camp that provides recruiting opportunities both from a school side, as well as golf side. I believe that even Furman has a really good golf camp. As a high school golf coach here in NC, I have reached out to both the men's and women's golf coaches for several years trying to get them to host a golf camp, and neither ever even responded to me. I would love to send my teams to a camp in Boone so they can experience what App is all about, but the program doesn't seem to want to put any effort into it. I'm thinking about sending Doug Gillin an email about it shortly.
A question to ask is whether the golf coaches have nine or 12 month contracts. I'm betting they're only being paid for nine months each year. That's a big drawback in recruiting good coaching candidates, in recruiting fine young golfers and in building a competitive golf program.

Not having a university-owned course isn't helping anything but that's unlikely to change in our lifetimes.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Wed May 08, 2019 11:44 am

It certainly doesn't help that we don't have a University-owned course. And I have never thought about the possibility of them only being 9 month employees. If that is the case, there truly is no incentive for them to be out recruiting the summer tournaments around the state or offering camps of their own. I sent Doug an email and I really hope he responds so I can see where his thoughts are on the matter. With such great strides made in other sports lately, I would love to see our golf programs make those same steps. Doug seems to at least care about their chances to succeed if he is trying to find a better coaching fit. Next step is to enhance our indoor facilities a bit. I upped my YC donation this year so hopefully we can make some improvements.

appgrad2010

Unread post by appgrad2010 » Wed May 08, 2019 12:42 pm

Where was the press release about the job being open? I heard that two years ago they had the opportunity to hire an up and comer from a Big South school but passed on him and then he landed the head job at UAB.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 pm

GastonApp09 wrote:

Before you fire off that email just realize that the area courses are only only open 5-7 months and would be in the middle of their seasons and Boone GC ain’t giving up any tee times without someone paying full price.

appfan22

Unread post by appfan22 » Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm

WCU is in a similar geographic and facility situation from what I’m aware of and was able to produce a PGA level talent in JT Poston.

GastonApp09

Unread post by GastonApp09 » Wed May 08, 2019 8:06 pm

proasu89 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 5:33 pm
GastonApp09 wrote:

Before you fire off that email just realize that the area courses are only only open 5-7 months and would be in the middle of their seasons and Boone GC ain’t giving up any tee times without someone paying full price.
I'm aware of that issue. But keep in mind, most golf camps spend the majority of the time on the practice facilities with individual and group instruction. Adding in video lessons and etc. doesn't cost a whole lot extra. Most of the time, playing the course is the very last thing students do at a camp and wouldn't require Boone GC to lose any $$ as the price of the camp includes the tee time. It's really not that difficult to set up and definitely not difficult to promote.

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu May 09, 2019 8:47 am

ColorAdo App wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 9:59 am
In light of Redman's contract not being renewed, I'd like to throw a name out there.

John Cole is an App State Golf Alum and currently doing great things down in Fayetville. I'm not sure if he would want to leave what he's building down there to come to a tattered App program, but I think it's worth a shot. https://fsubroncos.com/news/2019/4/24/m ... -year.aspx

Should this program continue (I've seen posts about it being eliminated/subbed for another sport), we'll need someone who can recruit solid golfers up the mountain. We will also need some updated facilities, as we are far-surpassed by many in the state. It's tough to recruit and play at App. I played from '09 - '13 for Dicus. BGC is a great course for Boone, but not the best for growing a collegiate program. Mimosa hills is a solid collegiate course, but it's over an hour away. The practice facilities in Boone are sub-par for a D1 Golf school and, in this case for golf, sub-par is not good. Our indoor facilities are OK, but they aren't everything the team needs to be successful. I'm aware I'm raising problems without offering solutions. Can anyone offer up some solutions? Golf is one of the toughest programs to support and fund in my opinion, especially on top of a mountain.
Just curious what led to Redman's contract not being renewed? Admittedly, I'm not one to follow collegiate golf, and outside of seeing the occasional blurb about a Black & Gold match or tournament, I really don't pay attention to golf below the PGA level. Was it simply a case of just not winning enough? Or was it a combination of factors? Remembering back to when Redman was hired, I thought it sounded like we had gotten a bit of a "steal" for a new Coach. Guess that wasn't the case?

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am

appfan22 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm
WCU is in a similar geographic and facility situation from what I’m aware of and was able to produce a PGA level talent in JT Poston.
Not similar at all actually. Cutaweed is about 1k feet lower in elevation, different mountain range and different weather pattern. Basically same as Asheville, which is no where near the weather in Boone.
The facilities Western uses for golf is a little closer, Maggie and Waynesville, Sequoyah. Those courses are open year round
Heck, our folks have to go to morganton to hit balls outdoors. some of the northern schools make it work, why cannot we?

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Thu May 09, 2019 10:34 am

We were offered a course down the mountain, closer than Mimosa , as a gift (tax write off) several years ago. We passed. Clearly we field a team ,to field a team.

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Thu May 09, 2019 10:52 am

App91 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:46 am
appfan22 wrote:
Wed May 08, 2019 6:27 pm
Not similar at all actually. Cutaweed is about 1k feet lower in elevation, different mountain range and different weather pattern. Basically same as Asheville, which is no where near the weather in Boone.
The facilities Western uses for golf is a little closer, Maggie and Waynesville, Sequoyah. Those courses are open year round
Heck, our folks have to go to morganton to hit balls outdoors. some of the northern schools make it work, why cannot we?
The schools that make it work up north, especially the Big 10 schools, have insane indoor facilities. Look at Illinois or Northwestern for examples. They also have school-owned courses on/near campus that can be used year round, at least for the driving range (heated bays). If I had won that billion dollar lotto a couple months ago, App would have been offered something similar for the old Watauga site, but alas...
Give 'em hell!

App91

Unread post by App91 » Thu May 09, 2019 12:11 pm

No doubt, but to compete in this sport we need an outdoor/indoor facility to practice. I understand its money, but at this point whats the point. To get good players, you have to have a place for them to practice. 2k sq feet in varsity is not going to cut it for any level of player out of HS.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 pm

I'm in favor of picking up men's and women's Lacrosse and dropping Golf.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 2:17 pm
Are you trying to move back to the SoCon one sport at a time? :lol:

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Thu May 09, 2019 5:03 pm

Nugget49 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 4:46 pm
Appstate88 wrote:
Are you trying to move back to the SoCon one sport at a time? :lol:
Nope.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Thu May 09, 2019 6:03 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
I really enjoy occasionally watching lacrosse - and wish it had been more prevalent in the Carolinas during my HS days, as I think I would've enjoyed trying my hand at the game. That having been said, I must admit that I don't know too much about the specifics of the game in regards to field size and things like that. Should we add lacrosse, for men, women, or both...would they be able to utilize the field hockey facility? It certainly seems like it would be a lot easier to add another locker room or two at the Field Hockey facility at State Farm when compared to the cost associated with building truly competitive golf facilities in Boone and having to deal with the logistics of constantly traveling off the mountain, etc. Not to mention, lacrosse is increasingly becoming a "spectator sport" in parts of the country other than the NE so the potential is there to actually draw a few fans, or maybe even one day, make a few $'s at the gate.

Stonewall

Unread post by Stonewall » Fri May 10, 2019 8:07 am

Beach volleyball.

ASUROX

Unread post by ASUROX » Fri May 10, 2019 8:13 am

An excellent idea to pick up men’s and women’s lacrosse. It’s an exciting and fast growing sport in North Carolina. Both my son and daughter played high school lacrosse. It’s a sport at least you can watch. This past fall I heard from an ASU source there is a possibility of bringing women’s lacrosse to App, but not men’s lacrosse. Supposedly to fill Title IX purposes, but who knows. I do wish they would pick up lacrosse for both men and women.
And to the Charlotte Troll, you might want to look at a couple of ACC schools in the state that have lacrosse before you spout off.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”