Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Women's Soccer - Sarah Strickland

BooneKarate
School: Appalachian State

Women's Soccer - Sarah Strickland

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:27 pm

Women's Soccer starts officially tomorrow night (8/23) and they've put up a staggering 0-0-2 record in exhibition games this year (WCU & ETSU). How successful does Sarah Strickland need to be to keep her job?

Maybe it's just me, but I feel like the program has been stagnant at best and isn't far off from the progress line that Jim Fox had with Men's Basketball. Is she on the hot seat this year from the fan perspective?

BooneKarate

Re: Women's Soccer - Sarah Strickland

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:38 pm

For reference, our Women's Soccer team hasn't won more than half of their games since 2012, in the SoCon, winning 10 of the 19 games played.

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm

Not for me to decide. Above my pay grade. We have capable people who make those decisions.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:58 pm

We do, but that's why I said "from the fan perspective." I just don't know if any other sport would've lasted at this level of mediocrity before a coaching change. DG has made good coaching hires so far, and I wouldn't hate to see our women's soccer be more successful.

Maybe women's soccer is so far out of the spotlight that it flies under the radar though. Possibly the perks of not being a successful in a good while.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm

They went 9-9-1 last year and 6-4 in the Sun Belt to finish 4th. That was following a 4-10-4 record the year before, 3-5-2 in conference to finish 8th. There’s not a ton of seniors so this team could be peaking in the next year or two. I’d say barring a complete collapse, Strickland is safe.

In past years it seemed that WSOC only recruited, or successfully recruited, locally. This year they have three European freshmen, two from Iceland (a burgeoning soccer nation) and one from Sweden, so that seems to be changing.

Soccer exhibitions are terrible gauges of how a team will do as you’re playing lots of players.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:08 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm
They went 9-9-1 last year and 6-4 in the Sun Belt to finish 4th. That was following a 4-10-4 record the year before, 3-5-2 in conference to finish 8th. There’s not a ton of seniors so this team could be peaking in the next year or two. I’d say barring a complete collapse, Strickland is safe.

In past years it seemed that WSOC only recruited, or successfully recruited, locally. This year they have three European freshmen, two from Iceland (a burgeoning soccer nation) and one from Sweden, so that seems to be changing.

Soccer exhibitions are terrible gauges of how a team will do as you’re playing lots of players.
Solid points here T-Dog. Maybe I've just never been a fan cause any time I've talked to her, she hasn't been nice to any of the people around her. Myself included. But hey, if they're about to peak, I'm here to see it. Love what O'Keefe has done with Men's Soccer. What Hoerner has done with Softball. DG could definitely hire us a winner in this too if Strickland can't get a good season together. Would love to see them win more than half of their games.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 8:58 am

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:22 pm

Are European women soccer players superior to Americans? I remember hearing during the WWC that the women's game in Europe is only recently gaining strength and that the US is way ahead.
WE ARE YOSEF!

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:35 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Thu Aug 22, 2019 3:51 pm
Not for me to decide. Above my pay grade. We have capable people who make those decisions.
I want this to be the default answer to everything posted on this board.

goapps93

Unread post by goapps93 » Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:26 am

MrCraig wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 10:35 am
AppGrad78 wrote:
I want this to be the default answer to everything posted on this board.
We'd have to start calling it a message "bored" if that were to happen.
WE ARE YOSEF!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 pm

WSOC trails Radford 3-0 at the half.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm

hapapp wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:11 pm
A regression record this year should result in a change

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:17 pm

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm
hapapp wrote:
Not an encouraging start.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:21 am

My criticism of Coach Strickland has been and remains that she depends too much on in-state players. There aren't nearly enough D-I capable women's players graduating from NC high schools each spring to go around to the ACC, SEC, CAA, C-USA, Southern, A-10, Sun Belt, Big South and other conferences that regularly recruit our state.

By the time the "higher order" schools skim off the cream of the crop, Strickland is left all too often to choose from D-II level talent--and it shows.

I give her credit for finally bringing in three or four European players. Our team scored two goals in exhibition play this month and the two freshmen from Iceland were involved in both--one with a goal and one with an assist. That's notable.

I also noticed that Coach "S" started the regular season at Radford with a lineup heavy with true freshmen and sophomores. In addition, she started a freshman keeper playing in her first regular season D-I match. She just may be opting for a youth movement.

To be fair, her program isn't fully funded. Her "scholarship money" is probably limited to a grant maximum based on in-state tuition equivalency. All scholarships are likely partials. I don't envy her challenges.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:00 am

They did manage to hold Radford scoreless in the second half but also failed to find the net themselves.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Aug 24, 2019 6:22 am

Since I was in school in 2011 and knew a few female soccer players who were not fond of her, I was always wondering how she skirted by it seemed at times. She’s done just enough every time she has been on the hot seat to warrant another chance.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:51 am

Rekdiver wrote:
Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:15 pm
hapapp wrote:
Couldn't agree more. 0-2 start (not to hold Wake over your head since they're top 25, but stating a factual record). Duquesne and UNC-Asheville at home this coming weekend. Will most likely fly under the radar with the football game also being this weekend. She could start 0-4 and the majority of our fans have no clue. Could also end the weekend with an undefeated home record. Just depends on what set of lenses we want to look through.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 am

asu66 wrote:
Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:21 am
My criticism of Coach Strickland has been and remains that she depends too much on in-state players. There aren't nearly enough D-I capable women's players graduating from NC high schools each spring to go around to the ACC, SEC, CAA, C-USA, Southern, A-10, Sun Belt, Big South and other conferences that regularly recruit our state.

By the time the "higher order" schools skim off the cream of the crop, Strickland is left all too often to choose from D-II level talent--and it shows.

I give her credit for finally bringing in three or four European players. Our team scored two goals in exhibition play this month and the two freshmen from Iceland were involved in both--one with a goal and one with an assist. That's notable.

I also noticed that Coach "S" started the regular season at Radford with a lineup heavy with true freshmen and sophomores. In addition, she started a freshman keeper playing in her first regular season D-I match. She just may be opting for a youth movement.

To be fair, her program isn't fully funded. Her "scholarship money" is probably limited to a grant maximum based on in-state tuition equivalency. All scholarships are likely partials. I don't envy her challenges.
This part of the equation is key. If we can't offer full rides to out of state players, we'll always be a bit behind. As is so often the case, it comes down to dollars. Thanks to all of you who are doing what you can to support all 450+ App State student-athletes through Yosef.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 am
asu66 wrote:

This part of the equation is key. If we can't offer full rides to out of state players, we'll always be a bit behind. As is so often the case, it comes down to dollars. Thanks to all of you who are doing what you can to support all 450+ App State student-athletes through Yosef.
I totally agree with you Daphne. I ask all to consider joining Yosef Club. We win what we resource. It is up to all of us to support. No need for our teams to compete with around half the scholarships the NCAA allows. Thanks to all who are doing their part.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:36 am

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:47 am
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:31 am
asu66 wrote:

I totally agree with you Daphne. I ask all to consider joining Yosef Club. We win what we resource. It is up to all of us to support. No need for our teams to compete with around half the scholarships the NCAA allows. Thanks to all who are doing their part.
You are preaching to the choir here.....

We need to expand our solicitation beyond our alumni base.....

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:32 am

AppGrad78 wrote:
Good answer, Charlie. Are you tail gating in Duncan lot again this year?
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”