Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Volleyball

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Volleyball

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 pm

What happened to volleyball? Went from 5-0 to 5-7 dropping 7 in a row.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

asu66

Re: Volleyball

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:29 pm
I spoke earlier today with a couple of university folks with very direct knowledge of the VB team. Two things surfaced.

(1) There are apparently drama/attitude/team chemistry issues going on this season. We've heard of this in a prior season or two about Ginipro's player rosters.

(2) It was hoped that Junior Outside Hitter Lexi Kohut would return to form after missing most of last season with an injury. She played in 130 sets as a true freshman in '17 and put up numbers comparable with her junior and senior classmates. She became a force to be dealt with by opponents. She played in just 49 sets in '18 before her season-ending injury. This season she's played in just one (1) set. Her attacking skills are obviously being greatly missed.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:18 pm

No 2 is sad to hear for both the team and the individual.

Is No 1 on the coach then or some dynamic where the women are just not getting along regardless of how the coach is working things out.

Heck, I could put up, maybe not like and be BFF, but put up with most anyone and anything on a team if we were winning, and we were. With that said, I also know there college teams spend a ton of time together and those personal dynamics are not easy to deal with I am sure.

yosef69

Unread post by yosef69 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:20 pm

asu66 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:37 pm
I spoke earlier today with a couple of university folks with very direct knowledge of the VB team. Two things surfaced.

(1) There are apparently drama/attitude/team chemistry issues going on this season. We've heard of this in a prior season or two about Ginipro's player rosters.

(2) It was hoped that Junior Outside Hitter Lexi Kohut would return to form after missing most of last season with an injury. She played in 130 sets as a true freshman in '17 and put up numbers comparable with her junior and senior classmates. She became a force to be dealt with by opponents. She played in just 49 sets in '18 before her season-ending injury. This season she's played in just one (1) set. Her attacking skills are obviously being greatly missed.
Seems like your "source" is fake news.

MrCraig

Unread post by MrCraig » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 pm

It’s probably not the height of “professionalism,” but I’d love to see more coaches calling out message board “sources.”

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:15 pm

MrCraig wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:33 pm
It’s probably not the height of “professionalism,” but I’d love to see more coaches calling out message board “sources.”
I started this with an innocent question, mostly wondering if there were some injuries, b/c it has been a quick turn from Wow! to, well the opposite of Wow, and I hate that for the team and anyone that follows App sports.

I doubt the coach is going to admit over social media if there is drama, as that would not help the team get over the drama, and it would likely make it worse. Truth or not, I would expect him to say what he said, if he is going to say anything at all as he will get points from the team for standing up for them. And that is OK in my book as that is what a coach should do, look after the team. And with that said I hope he is correct, as I have no desire to see the VB team not perform at the highest level possible.

I have no reason to think 66 was saying what he said with bad intent, nor do I have any reason to think coach is covering up anything.

Also it doesn't bother me if coach calls someone out. Professional or unprofessional is a bit in the eye of the beholder and often thrown up to avoid important issues.

I do hope this part is true "have grown closer through the adversity."

Hopefully we can get back to Wow! soon enough.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am

asu66 wrote:

1 - Name a team where this doesn't exist at some level. You'll always have some players on teams that don't get along like best friends. That's okay, the players aren't recruited to be best friends, they're recruited to be on a team together and play volleyball. If we can ride the high of 5-0 then we can support on the 0-7 streak. Also, if you didn't talk with a player, coach, or trainer directly, then get out of here with your "source".

I'm here to support Ginipro. I think he's a great guy and a great leader. Let's not forget that this same coach took us to 2nd in the SBC last year. 10+ year career at App and there's been some up years and some down years. At least they aren't all down years.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:45 am

BooneKarate wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:17 am
asu66 wrote:

1 - Name a team where this doesn't exist at some level. You'll always have some players on teams that don't get along like best friends. That's okay, the players aren't recruited to be best friends, they're recruited to be on a team together and play volleyball. If we can ride the high of 5-0 then we can support on the 0-7 streak. Also, if you didn't talk with a player, coach, or trainer directly, then get out of here with your "source".

I'm here to support Ginipro. I think he's a great guy and a great leader. Let's not forget that this same coach took us to 2nd in the SBC last year. 10+ year career at App and there's been some up years and some down years. At least they aren't all down years.
I don't think anyone here is not in support on Ginipro. The fact we are posting about VB shows we are keeping up with the team and we are doing that because we do care.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:25 pm

Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:45 am
BooneKarate wrote:
asu66 wrote:

I don't think anyone here is not in support on Ginipro. The fact we are posting about VB shows we are keeping up with the team and we are doing that because we do care.
I completely agree. And I love that we care. That's what makes this great.

Without naming your source, just how close to the program are they? Directly involved or just an administrator in athletics? Or a friend of a friend type of deal?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:55 pm

I remember a post with so called inside information which said we’d get the invite to the C-USA that week.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:52 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:25 pm
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:45 am
BooneKarate wrote:
asu66 wrote:

I completely agree. And I love that we care. That's what makes this great.

Without naming your source, just how close to the program are they? Directly involved or just an administrator in athletics? Or a friend of a friend type of deal?
It was not my source. I was the one that asked the question and I honestly thought it might be an answer about injuries, but I really had no ideas. Going from 2nd place last year to starting so strong in conference play to the present situation had me ask the question. I certainly meant no ill will, but as a fan those types of questions are going to be asked. Had we been 0-5 and then won 7 straight the same question could be asked, which is "What happened?"

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:26 am

I hear you. Good question. I think we were all asking. I misread the author of a previous post. You had nothing wrong in your post. My apologies!

asu66 - What type of source are we talking about here? Maybe it could help us all understand who is a good type of source and who isn't a good type of source.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”