Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Day 1 SoCon Indoor T&F

hapapp
School: Appalachian State

Day 1 SoCon Indoor T&F

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:59 pm

Women 4th, Men 2nd. Samford leads both.

https://admin.xosn.com/pdf8/1456425.pdf ... M_ID=21500&

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: Day 1 SoCon Indoor T&F

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 12:06 am

That seems a little off from historical trends. Hopefully we come back on day 2 with events we can score well in and win both.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 7:54 am

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:That seems a little off from historical trends. Hopefully we come back on day 2 with events we can score well in and win both.
No kidding! Where in the heck did Samford come from and why is WCU so far back? It should be an interesting second day. Usually WCU has a great 2nd, so it could do some strange things.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Feb 24, 2013 9:32 am

On the old MMB a year or so ago I was asking about the ASU/WCU dominance in T&F over the years. Someone mentioned that many schools have a team but not a full team. I am sure there is some mathematical model that would generate enough points if every event was won by a team that brought much less than a full team to a track meet. But as a general rule the more competitors a school brings the better chance to win points and win the meet I would think, which is why APP and WCU win so often both indoors and outdoors. Maybe something has changed in the number of schools that are providing full teams.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 10:44 am

It's true that T&F is a sport where two or three outstanding athletes can make an impact....especially in a partial result (first day). App and WCU are the two programs in the SoCon that field competitive athletes across the board. Back when I was in school (early 80's) VMI always scored well in the sprints and field events. ETSU was always a distance event powerhouse. Between the two of them, they stole enough points to make it difficult on the balanced teams, but in recent years it's been all about the total program. I'm thinking that App and WCU take over today....but we shall see.

App90

Unread post by App90 » Sun Feb 24, 2013 11:45 am

Seems Samford is creating a Track and Field program, they went 1,2,3 in the Pole Vault. They have qualified alot of athletes in day 1 to move on to day 2. This is not going to be a cake walk for either ASU or WCU unless Samfords atheletes totally collapse. They have guys moving to the finals in the 60 yard dash, 800 meters, 300 meters and the 60 meter hurdles. They have a formidal 1600 meter relay team, coupled with the fact that thier spriters seem to be qualifying with the top three times out of their heats is a little worrisome. It appears they are taking points away more from WCU. ASU has always been strong in the middle distance I know, I ran there. The program is built with good 800 meter guys, sprinters, and triple and long jumpers. This will be an interesting dog fight for the mens side. Could come down to the 1600 meter relay. Hope ASU pulls through. We will see.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”