Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

2020 Women's Soccer

BooneKarate
School: Appalachian State

2020 Women's Soccer

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 pm

With no 2020 schedule announced for Women's Soccer yet, and the season is able to start within the next couple of weeks, I'm starting to think we may not have a women's soccer season. Which leads to the unthinkable. Will Sarah Strickland make it through another season? Tough to fire her after her first ever undefeated season...would be a huge turnaround from her away record last year (0-10). I mean 0-0 is better than 0-10 on the road right?

Maybe I'm still bitter that we let the wrong soccer go...

But hey, kudos to you Sarah, another year of finding a way to say it wasn't your fault that you couldn't have a winning season. At least this time it truly isn't your fault :lol: Maybe next year a natural disaster can come through and you can blame it. Or maybe it's your assistant coaches fault (that you hired).

Someone call O'Keefe and let's get the men's program back somehow.

GregPercussion

Re: 2020 Women's Soccer

Unread post by GregPercussion » Wed Aug 26, 2020 1:08 pm

2020 App State Soccer*

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:00 pm

BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 pm
With no 2020 schedule announced for Women's Soccer yet, and the season is able to start within the next couple of weeks, I'm starting to think we may not have a women's soccer season. Which leads to the unthinkable. Will Sarah Strickland make it through another season? Tough to fire her after her first ever undefeated season...would be a huge turnaround from her away record last year (0-10). I mean 0-0 is better than 0-10 on the road right?

But hey, kudos to you Sarah, another year of finding a way to say it wasn't your fault that you couldn't have a winning season. At least this time it truly isn't your fault :lol: Maybe next year a natural disaster can come through and you can blame it. Or maybe it's your assistant coaches fault (that you hired).

Image Red Card, dude! Have you seen a Volleyball, Women's Cross Country or Women's Fall Tennis schedule? No, no and no! There must be some big reason why those schedules aren't posted. Our AD, coaches and players don't yet know if the NCAA will sanction a fall sports season. Even if that happens, Gov. Cooper is holding all of the face cards at least until Sept. 11th.

I know you're aware that Coach Strickland has been granted a new lease on life at App with two new assistant coaches and what appears to be a considerable upgrade in new recruits. You won't make any friends by undercutting her during the preseason.

We no longer have players or coaches to comprise a men's soccer program. Coach O'Keefe and his assistants have worked all summer w/o compensation to place our returnees from last season and a fine recruiting class in other programs. Coach O'K is looking for a paying men's soccer coaching position. Doug Gillin has made it perfectly clear that there will be no men's soccer program at App until a lot of things change.

My friendly suggestion for you is to take your meds, adjust your attitude and consider deleting your ugly post above. If you will, I'll delete mine.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Wed Aug 26, 2020 3:23 pm

asu66 wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 2:00 pm
BooneKarate wrote:
Wed Aug 26, 2020 12:32 pm

Image Red Card, dude! Have you seen a Volleyball, Women's Cross Country or Women's Fall Tennis schedule? No, no and no! There must be some big reason why those schedules aren't posted. Our AD, coaches and players don't yet know if the NCAA will sanction a fall sports season. Even if that happens, Gov. Cooper is holding all of the face cards at least until Sept. 11th.

I know you're aware that Coach Strickland has been granted a new lease on life at App with two new assistant coaches and what appears to be a considerable upgrade in new recruits. You won't make any friends by undercutting her during the preseason.

We no longer have players or coaches to comprise a men's soccer program. Coach O'Keefe and his assistants have worked all summer w/o compensation to place our returnees from last season and a fine recruiting class in other programs. Coach O'K is looking for a paying men's soccer coaching position. Doug Gillin has made it perfectly clear that there will be no men's soccer program at App until a lot of things change.

My friendly suggestion for you is to take your meds, adjust your attitude and consider deleting your ugly post above. If you will, I'll delete mine.
Your post doesn't offend me. Keep it up.

I agree that all fall sports could be compromised (not sure how olympic sports won't be able to play, but football is fine. just shows how money-driven it all is. but yes, that's a NCAA or Sun Belt decision).

At least the other fall sport coaches deserve to still have their jobs. I'm fully aware of Men's Soccer and feel like O'Keefe was screwed over. I'm glad for all he did in his short time with us. But hey, if we are looking for ways to save money, and Women's Soccer isn't going to play this season....what a time to save some money off of that coaches contract. Is it much in the grand scheme of things? No. Is is more than what she deserves? Absolutely.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:42 pm

WSOC dropped it's season opener to Pitt 4-0.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm

You can just say soccer now. :-(
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:05 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:44 pm
You can just say soccer now. :-(
True. :cry:

ah59396

Unread post by ah59396 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:55 pm

hapapp wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:42 pm
WSOC dropped it's season opener to Pitt 4-0.
Got robbed on a screamer of a goal though
YNWA

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Sep 14, 2020 8:59 pm

Try 7-1 Pitt yesterday

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 pm

I think we've found another place to save some money

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Mon Sep 14, 2020 9:59 pm
As sad as it may be to give up on any sport I think, logistically, this might also be the spot given the current state of the program on the field. I believe we only can cut 1 more sport at this point (maybe 2?) and stay at the minimum threshold but you have to think that Women's soccer just makes the most sense. The team is larger than some and travel is *fairly extensive. With Men's soccer being eliminated the MAC has no other App State competition tenets. Assuming the contracts are written as such, we could cut bait and vacate the facility and save some maintenance/upkeep costs there - I assume. If and when, and I hope this might be an option someday as I enjoy soccer myself, we are to bring back sports then look to build a new facility somewhere closer to campus, or at least at the new 105 complex on App State land.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:50 am

Title IX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:22 am

HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
As sad as it may be to give up on any sport I think, logistically, this might also be the spot given the current state of the program on the field. I believe we only can cut 1 more sport at this point (maybe 2?) and stay at the minimum threshold but you have to think that Women's soccer just makes the most sense. The team is larger than some and travel is *fairly extensive. With Men's soccer being eliminated the MAC has no other App State competition tenets. Assuming the contracts are written as such, we could cut bait and vacate the facility and save some maintenance/upkeep costs there - I assume. If and when, and I hope this might be an option someday as I enjoy soccer myself, we are to bring back sports then look to build a new facility somewhere closer to campus, or at least at the new 105 complex on App State land.
Perhaps its not the program.

BooneKarate

Unread post by BooneKarate » Thu Sep 17, 2020 12:44 pm

hapapp wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:22 am
HkyMtneer wrote:
Tue Sep 15, 2020 5:42 am
BUTCH1991 wrote:
Perhaps its not the program.
Perhaps it's the coach...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:50 pm

Our coach has something going for her in campus politics in order to have kept her job after last season and be allowed not only to remain in her position, but to ditch two assistant coaches with *close* Appalachian ties and hire two who are complete "newbies" to our program. It's almost as if the university has granted tenure to a professor who has not earned it and should not have it. (Of course there is no such thing as tenure for coaches at Appalachian, yet Coach Strickland seems to be the lone exception.)

What about Coach Strickland justifies this level of protection by the university? Title IX? Not exactly. That in all likelihood would save the women's soccer program at App State, but not the coach. Something else is "in play" here.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Sep 18, 2020 1:57 pm

App WSOC moved to three games in the loss column yesterday -- losing a hard-fought 104 minute 2OT match to Georgia State. The Apps are now 0-3-0 overall on the young season and 0-1-0 in Sun Belt Play.

Redshirt junior forward Drew Hallum (a transfer from Bakersfield College, CA) scored the Mountaineers' only goal in the 44th minute. True frosh forward Izzi Wood (Hickory, NC, Hickory High) was credited with the assist.

Mountaineer soph keeper Kerry Eagleston (Winston-Salem, NC, West Forsyth) went the distance in the net for the Apps. She surrendered two goals in the 2OT match while also making 6 stout saves.

The Apps take to the pitch at noon Sunday down on the banks of Iggle Creek in Stinkboro, GA. The Georgia Southern Iggles (0-1-0) on the season will provide the opposition.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Sep 22, 2020 9:55 am

In case no one noticed the soccer team won 3-nil

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Sep 25, 2020 2:59 pm

WSOC scores in the 88th minute to knock off Troy 1-0 to move to 2-1 in conference play.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Sep 25, 2020 3:37 pm

Maybe they are finding some grit!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:09 pm

Nail-biter to the end. Irish lassie Tess Cairney, a senior forward from Wilmington (NC) Ashley, blasted in the winner off of the Apps 10th corner kick of the afternoon.
Last edited by asu66 on Fri Sep 25, 2020 5:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”