Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SoCon Cup Points Historical Data - Huge Spreadsheet

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

SoCon Cup Points Historical Data - Huge Spreadsheet

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:07 pm

I created an Excel Spreadsheet that contains a worksheet for each year of the SoCon sponsored cups going back to the first year of the Commish Cup in 1969-1970. The SoCon office does not have records on file that can easily be tracked down past 2005-2006 so I only have a few years. But I have a field for every School that has been in the SoCon (including some one off members in wrestling.) since the Commish and Germann Cup started. I am trying to get the SoCon office to spend some time digging around, but I doubt they will be found. Maybe old media guides from App has the SoCon standings. That would be useful since App has always entered a team in every SoCon sport going back as far as I can remember.

Here is the link.

I have a sheet for each year and also a top sheet for cumulative totals. I have a raw points and a "Unity Points" where the points earned is divided by the points 1st place recieved that year. That helps factor out recent years where teams would receive 12 points for winning the conference but years ago the same 1st place would only receive 8 points.

One can also slide around two sheets labeled "End" and "Start" so you can determine averages for a certain set of years (a particular decade/years when a certain school was a member/the I-AA/FCS years/etc).

I'll include 2013-2014 as each season ends or at the end of the academic year.

I'll post a few observations in the next post. Download and enjoy (and feel free to double check my numbers. I have a few places were an average or sum should be the same but computed different. This can serve as a mild manual error checking device.) And feel free to spread around to other SoCon school boards if you frequent them.

This is my very generic signature added to each post.

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

Re: SoCon Cup Points Historical Data - Huge Spreadsheet

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:16 pm

A few observations:

For years I have records 2005-2006 to 2012-2013
App leads in Men's Raw Points, Raw Points per sport, and Raw Points per year.

The women's side has the most Raw Points, and the most points per year. Samford has the most points per sport, with the App women in 2nd for this stats. CoC did have a higher average but left the SoCon

The SoCon does not combine Men's and Women's Cup points but I did. App leads with more points, more points per year and more points per sport.

I could write a lot more, but that is enough for now. Ask questions if you are interested in what I was trying to convey with the different stats. Also I am not Excel expert-offer suggestions.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”