Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

SoCon Cup Points 18 May 2014

McLeansvilleAppFan
School: Appalachian State

SoCon Cup Points 18 May 2014

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 18, 2014 7:39 am

I think it was announced yesterday at the baseball game that we have indeed taken the Commish Cup one last time. Two points are left for the winner of the baseball tourney. But no other school is within 2 points of us. The baseball tourney ends 25 May.

On a side note the Bubas Cup has been dominated by WKU lately. That could bode well for us moving into the SB. They do a few things differently from what I have been able to determine.

1. The SB combines men's and women's sports into one Cup.
2. The SB only gives points for regular season finishes.
3. Amount of points awarded is based on the number of teams in a sport. A sport with 6 schools awards 6,5,4,... and a sport with 11 schools awards 11,10,9,8.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Re: SoCon Cup Points 18 May 2014

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 18, 2014 10:10 am

Officially, as it stands now, how many sports will we field in SunBelt competition? Of course, meant by that, not counting ones we will field outside the SunBelt while still competing in the NCAA Division I.
Last edited by NewApp on Sun May 18, 2014 6:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Sun May 18, 2014 10:56 am

18, the SBC sponsors all of our sports except field hockey and wrestling as they will add men's soccer next year.

Their all sports trophy combines both men's and women's. We are the only program to sponsor all of them, many sponsor 16 or 17.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 18, 2014 1:51 pm

We have to win some sports I would think, but having a few sports extra than the other schools helps of course. However winning something like men's soccer will not help like it did in the SoCon since not as many SB schools compete.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 18, 2014 7:00 pm

Saint3333 wrote:18, the SBC sponsors all of our sports except field hockey and wrestling as they will add men's soccer next year.

Their all sports trophy combines both men's and women's. We are the only program to sponsor all of them, many sponsor 16 or 17.
Is any other SB school fielding programs outside the conference in wrestling, soccer, or field hockey?
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun May 18, 2014 7:11 pm

NewApp wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:18, the SBC sponsors all of our sports except field hockey and wrestling as they will add men's soccer next year.

Is any other SB school fielding programs outside the conference in wrestling, soccer, or field hockey?
The SB had swimming and diving until this year. I believe some of the schools still offer this. GaSo is picking up rifle. There may be other situations as well.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Sun May 18, 2014 10:03 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
NewApp wrote:

The SB had swimming and diving until this year. I believe some of the schools still offer this. GaSo is picking up rifle. There may be other situations as well.
We once had a good rifle program although I'm not sure it was a sanctioned NCAA program, never the less we excelled at it. We had a quite successful competive swimming program, but again, I'm not sure it was sanctioned. All I know is is it was intercollegiate.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon May 19, 2014 5:38 am

NewApp wrote:

The SBC sponsors men's and women's soccer. However, half of the men's teams are associate members for soccer only.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon May 19, 2014 4:34 pm

NewApp wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
NewApp wrote:

We once had a good rifle program although I'm not sure it was a sanctioned NCAA program, never the less we excelled at it. We had a quite successful competive swimming program, but again, I'm not sure it was sanctioned. All I know is is it was intercollegiate.
I am pretty sure swimming was a SoCon sport and therefor official NCAA.

I can't speak on rifle. It may have been like our skiiing and cycling-Good teams and given a nod within the official sanctioning body for that sport but not housed within the App Athletic Dept, and technically not "official" App sports. (Though I love to hear the success cycling has had.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”