Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Sunbelt officially reinstates men's soccer

asu66
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:54 am

Sunbelt message boards have been speculating on this news for six months or longer. It's no longer rumor. Men's soccer has been re-instated after a 19 year hiatus.

NEW ORLEANS – The Sun Belt Conference will revitalize one of its first sponsored sports as it was announced Tuesday that the conference will reintroduce men's soccer this upcoming fall.

Full-time members Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State will play alongside affiliate members Hartwick, Howard, and the New Jersey Institute of Technology in a single round robin schedule.

"The reintroduction of men's soccer to the Sun Belt Conference means that we will be able to provide valuable opportunities for student-athletes and deliver them a first-class championship experience," said Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Karl Benson. "Our new affiliate members provide us with a full field of competitive teams and we welcome them to the Sun Belt Conference."

The Sun Belt will conduct a championship at one of the six institutions with the winner earning an automatic qualifying bid to the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship. The championship format will see the top two teams from the regular season earning a bye into the tournament semifinals. A date and site for the championship will be announced in May.

"We are looking forward to having an automatic qualifier in the sport to represent us in the NCAA postseason," said Benson. "And we are optimistic at the possibility of sending multiple teams to the tournament field each year."

The Sun Belt previously sponsored men's soccer from 1976 to 1995. In fact, the first ever Sun Belt Championship in any sport was the 1976 men's soccer championship.

With the addition of men's soccer, the Sun Belt will now sponsor 18 sports. On the men's side the conference now competes in basketball, baseball, cross country, the highest level of NCAA football, golf, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, soccer, and tennis. For women's sports, the Sun Belt offers basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, tennis, and volleyball.

Come July 1, 2014 the Sun Belt membership will consist of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (non-football), Arkansas State University, Georgia State University, Georgia Southern University, the University of Idaho (football only), the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, New Mexico State University (football only), the University of South Alabama, the University of Texas at Arlington (non-football), Texas State University, and Troy University. Hartwick College, Howard University, and the New Jersey Institute of Technology will compete as affiliate members in men's soccer.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

hapapp

Re: Sunbelt officially reinstates men's soccer

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 21, 2014 6:44 am

Come July 1, 2014 the Sun Belt membership will consist of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (non-football), Arkansas State University, Georgia State University, Georgia Southern University, the University of Idaho (football only), the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, New Mexico State University (football only), the University of South Alabama, the University of Texas at Arlington (non-football), Texas State University, and Troy University. Hartwick College, Howard University, and the New Jersey Institute of Technology will compete as affiliate members in men's soccer.

Somebody is missing from that list.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 21, 2014 6:50 am

hapapp wrote:Come July 1, 2014 the Sun Belt membership will consist of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (non-football), Arkansas State University, Georgia State University, Georgia Southern University, the University of Idaho (football only), the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, New Mexico State University (football only), the University of South Alabama, the University of Texas at Arlington (non-football), Texas State University, and Troy University. Hartwick College, Howard University, and the New Jersey Institute of Technology will compete as affiliate members in men's soccer.

I can't imagine who it could be.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 21, 2014 7:53 am

asu66 wrote:Sunbelt message boards have been speculating on this news for six months or longer. It's no longer rumor. Men's soccer has been re-instated after a 19 year hiatus.

NEW ORLEANS – The Sun Belt Conference will revitalize one of its first sponsored sports as it was announced Tuesday that the conference will reintroduce men's soccer this upcoming fall.

Full-time members Appalachian State, Georgia Southern, and Georgia State will play alongside affiliate members Hartwick, Howard, and the New Jersey Institute of Technology in a single round robin schedule.

"The reintroduction of men's soccer to the Sun Belt Conference means that we will be able to provide valuable opportunities for student-athletes and deliver them a first-class championship experience," said Sun Belt Conference Commissioner Karl Benson. "Our new affiliate members provide us with a full field of competitive teams and we welcome them to the Sun Belt Conference."

The Sun Belt will conduct a championship at one of the six institutions with the winner earning an automatic qualifying bid to the NCAA Men's Soccer Championship. The championship format will see the top two teams from the regular season earning a bye into the tournament semifinals. A date and site for the championship will be announced in May.

"We are looking forward to having an automatic qualifier in the sport to represent us in the NCAA postseason," said Benson. "And we are optimistic at the possibility of sending multiple teams to the tournament field each year."

The Sun Belt previously sponsored men's soccer from 1976 to 1995. In fact, the first ever Sun Belt Championship in any sport was the 1976 men's soccer championship.

With the addition of men's soccer, the Sun Belt will now sponsor 18 sports. On the men's side the conference now competes in basketball, baseball, cross country, the highest level of NCAA football, golf, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, soccer, and tennis. For women's sports, the Sun Belt offers basketball, cross country, golf, soccer, softball, indoor track and field, outdoor track and field, tennis, and volleyball.

So only three regular SB members will field teams? Off to a start at least.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 21, 2014 7:54 am

bcoach wrote:
hapapp wrote:Come July 1, 2014 the Sun Belt membership will consist of the University of Arkansas at Little Rock (non-football), Arkansas State University, Georgia State University, Georgia Southern University, the University of Idaho (football only), the University of Louisiana at Lafayette, the University of Louisiana at Monroe, New Mexico State University (football only), the University of South Alabama, the University of Texas at Arlington (non-football), Texas State University, and Troy University. Hartwick College, Howard University, and the New Jersey Institute of Technology will compete as affiliate members in men's soccer.

I can't imagine who it could be.
That sounds like something the SoCon would do. ;)
Google SUX

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 21, 2014 12:07 pm

On a serious note, is this a good thing the way it is structured ? Is it better than staying where we are? I am asking because I know absolutely zero about collage soccer so I don't understand the advantages or repercussions of the move.

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 21, 2014 12:55 pm

I don't think we had a choice, the SoCon pulled back on the MSOC rug for us.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed May 21, 2014 1:33 pm

Saint3333 wrote:I don't think we had a choice, the SoCon pulled back on the MSOC rug for us.
Is it reasonable to think that the other members of the SB would start teams? Again I just have no knowledge of the sport.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed May 21, 2014 1:57 pm

bcoach wrote:On a serious note, is this a good thing the way it is structured ? Is it better than staying where we are? I am asking because I know absolutely zero about collage soccer so I don't understand the advantages or repercussions of the move.
I see the 2014 Sunbelt as a an easier pathway to an NCAA Tourney bid than the SoCon was. In the SoCon, teams had to survive matches with Elon, Furman, UNC-G and Charleston (any one of which were likely to be ranked in the NCAA Top 25 in any given week or month) plus teams had to avoid stubbing their toes against teams like ASU, Davidson and Ga South who were frequently ranked in the South Region's Top 10. Then they had to fear Wofford--who's been on the quick climb in the last few seasons.

This season in the Sunbelt, I see a three-way race between Ga State, ASU and Ga South in that order. Hartwick still has 16 foreign import players on a 24 man roster, but isn't the Hartwick of the '70s and '80s. They were a middle of the pack team in the MAC last season. NJIT played as an NCAA independent last season; and finished 7-9-2 against a so-so schedule. They look to have a better team this season, but who knows how that'll play out against a completely new schedule. Howard is the cellar-dweller; having finished last season at 1-17. Their only win was against a D-III team. Howard has a rich tradition in soccer much like Hartwick---but it's been a while...late 80s. The Bison hired former Howard star, Phillip Gyau, to lead the rebuilding.

ASU returns everyone of note from last season except Keeper Danny Free, Defender Harrison Delbridge and Mid-fielder Kojo Thompson. Those are three big holes to fill. Coach Matt Nelson is bringing in one of the strongest freshmen classes in recent memory--a class that includes three all-state players; one legit high school all-American; an Australian Youth National team player and a highly-regarded French mid-fielder.

Look for ASU and Ga State to battle for the Sunbelt auto-bid in the Sunbelt Tourney. That's my foolish, but hopeful prediction of the day.
Last edited by asu66 on Wed May 21, 2014 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Wed May 21, 2014 2:27 pm

bcoach wrote:
Saint3333 wrote:I don't think we had a choice, the SoCon pulled back on the MSOC rug for us.
Is it reasonable to think that the other members of the SB would start teams? Again I just have no knowledge of the sport.
I don't see any Sun Belt member adding additional male scholarships anytime soon. If this pay the players notion comes about, I think we'll see just the opposite.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed May 21, 2014 5:55 pm

Talk about no-name schools...Hartwick and NJ Institute of Technology? Evidently they are known in Soccer but as institutions of higher learning in general? Many thought Furman and Wofford were no name schools. Geez.
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 21, 2014 6:25 pm

App State was award the SBC soccer tournament in 2015-16.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Wed May 21, 2014 6:28 pm

NewApp wrote:Talk about no-name schools...Hartwick and NJ Institute of Technology? Evidently they are known in Soccer but as institutions of higher learning in general? Many thought Furman and Wofford were no name schools. Geez.
Perhaps, but they do have a D1 national title to their credit.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed May 21, 2014 6:29 pm

NewApp wrote:Talk about no-name schools...Hartwick and NJ Institute of Technology? Evidently they are known in Soccer but as institutions of higher learning in general? Many thought Furman and Wofford were no name schools. Geez.
Hartwick has been around since 1797 in one form or another. They play up in soccer as DI. They mean business in this sport.

NJIT is within walking distance of downtown Newark. Sounds like nice enough of a location. Any downtown is always nice and a nice slice of America.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

Apps03

Unread post by Apps03 » Wed May 21, 2014 8:16 pm

hapapp wrote:App State was award the SBC soccer tournament in 2015-16.
I'm guessing this means the tournament will be played in Boone...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”