Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

The Track

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

The Track

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:44 pm

Those in favor of removing the track around the field in Kidd Brewer Stadium might want to consider the link below: Personally, I see pros and cons to the concept even other than cost, but I also respect what the track and field program has done for App's image even world-wide. APR wise it has done nothing but benefit us overall. The track has been a safe place for male and female athletes as well as the general public to run and walk.

I was up there on several occasions when she was being officially timed for the Olympics as well as the Pan Am games.

Mary Jayne Harrelson-Reeves

Mary Jayne Harrelson-Reeves (born June 17, 1978 in Roxboro, North Carolina) is a female middle distance runner from the United States. She is best known for winning the silver medal in the women's 1,500 metres event at the 2003 Pan American Games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, behind Cuba's Adriana Muñoz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mary_Harrelson
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

APPARJ

Re: The Track

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:51 pm

NewApp wrote:Those in favor of removing the track around the field in Kidd Brewer Stadium might want to consider the link below: Personally, I see pros and cons to the concept even other than cost, but I also respect what the track and field program has done for App's image even world-wide. APR wise I has done nothing but benefit us overall. The track has been a safe place for male and female athletes as well as the general public to run and walk.

How has our track and field program had a WORLD WIDE impact on App State's image?
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:07 pm

Verses the win at Michigan??? That put us on the map. If we can afford it dump the track.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:08 pm

APPARJ wrote:
NewApp wrote:Those in favor of removing the track around the field in Kidd Brewer Stadium might want to consider the link below: Personally, I see pros and cons to the concept even other than cost, but I also respect what the track and field program has done for App's image even world-wide. APR wise I has done nothing but benefit us overall. The track has been a safe place for male and female athletes as well as the general public to run and walk.

How has our track and field program had a WORLD WIDE impact on App State's image?
To those who follow track and field for one thing. I know of several students who chose to attend ASU who followed Olympic sports. We had at least one athlete who actually competed in the Olympics. When I did my student intern ship at Hibriten High, I helped point out the then state of the art track in KBS. He chose App because he planned to run the sprint events and eventually earn at least a half scholarship. He competed his freshman year but it didn't appear that he was going to earn a grant other than loans and academic scholarships. He chose to remain at App and last I heard he was a mid- level administrator in a large public school system.
I'm quite certain he isn't the only prospective student who chose App for that or similar reasons. In fact the track program helped in making my decision to attend our beloved alma mater.
We have had several students from overseas who competed in our T&F program.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:10 pm

Rekdiver wrote:Verses the win at Michigan??? That put us on the map. If we can afford it dump the track.
Not trying to equate it with any of our success in the football program's accomplishments.

The Michigan win was not the only thing to put us on the map to say the least.
Google SUX

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:27 pm

NewApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

To those who follow track and field for one thing. I know of several students who chose to attend ASU who followed Olympic sports. We had at least one athlete who actually competed in the Olympics. When I did my student intern ship at Hibriten High, I helped point out the then state of the art track in KBS. He chose App because he planned to run the sprint events and eventually earn at least a half scholarship. He competed his freshman year but it didn't appear that he was going to earn a grant other than loans and academic scholarships. He chose to remain at App and last I heard he was a mid- level administrator in a large public school system.
I'm quite certain he isn't the only prospective student who chose App for that or similar reasons. In fact the track program helped in making my decision to attend our beloved alma mater.
So the world wide impact is that you recruited a kid from Lenoir (30 minutes from Boone) to run track at App State and now he might be a mid-level public school administrator?

World wide, indeed.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:59 pm

APPARJ wrote:
NewApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

So the world wide impact is that you recruited a kid from Lenoir (30 minutes from Boone) to run track at App State and now he might be a mid-level public school administrator?

World wide, indeed.
Exaggerate much? Evidently you didn't read the entire post. I never said removing the track or not moving it depended on the notierity of our T&F program. We have have had several Olympic T&F athletes compete in the Olympics.
Google SUX

APPARJ

Unread post by APPARJ » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:07 pm

NewApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:
NewApp wrote:
APPARJ wrote:

World wide, indeed.
Exaggerate much? Evidently you didn't read the entire post. I never said removing the track or not moving it depended on the notierity of our T&F program. We have have had several Olympic T&F athletes compete in the Olympics.
Well I guess we disagree because I follow App State very closely and cannot name one T&F athlete. Who are the several Olympic athletes? Not being snarky. I genuinely don't know... which is why I question the "world wide" impact that T&F supposedly had on App State.
Image ImageImage
ImageImage

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:26 pm

First off, I never said, repeat, never said that our T&F program should be a deciding factor and I can't remember the names nor era of some of the Olympians and none ever competed for gold, silver, not bronze medals. One was an African-American male sprinter, one was a female African-American sprinter, Mary Jayne went high up in the trials. Her performance in the Olympic trials helped garner her the spot in the Pan-American games in which she performed quite highly (check the link I posted.

Here are but a few of links which highlight some of our attention:

http://www.appstatesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?...

Woops, lost the link to this one. It includes trials for Boston Marathon.
It mentions Carlton Law, Lance Parker.
Former Appalachian State University cross country athlete Lance Parker became the first alum since 1984 to qualify for the U.S. Olympic Marathon trials on December 2nd when he placed seventh and was the second American to cross the finish line at the California International Marathon in Sacramento, Calif. with a time of 2:19.44. The U.S. Olympic trials will be held at the New York Marathon in November 2008. The last Appalachian Alum to qualify for the Olympic Marathon trials was ASU's 10,000-meter record holder Carlton Law who qualified at the 1984 Boston Marathon with a time of 2:14.84 Parker, a 2003 graduate of Appalachian, was a standout athlete during his career as a Mountaineer. Parker was a valuable asset during the 2001-02 and 2002-03 seasons when ASU claimed Southern Conference titles in cross country, indoor track and outdoor track. Parker contributed to the feat by winning individual titles in all six SoCon meets during the two seasons. Parker also earned recognition for his academic accomplishments while succeeding on and off the track. He made the Southern Conference honor roll for his academic achievement and received the Brakefield award, given to the graduating senior student-athlete with the highest cumulative grade point average. Parker graduated with a 3.9 GPA and a degree in Banking and Finance. Parker was also awarded the ASU scholar-athlete ring for maintaining a 3.0 GPA or higher throughout his career at Appalachian and was given a prestigious post-graduate scholarship by the NCAA along with former teammate Derrick Williamson. Williamson and Parker continue to remain close as they both currently reside in Texas. Parker teaches at Lake Travis High School outside of Austin, while Williamson is continuing his studies at the University of Texas at Austin and coaches Parker in his marathon training.

http://www.news.appstate.edu/2003/11/.../chinese-...
(Chinese and Appalachian Olympic T&F)

Oscho Rufty, an ASU Hammer Thrower got serious looks from the Olympic PTB.

The above are just tid bits....all my feeble mind can even vaguely recall.

Forgot to mention, remember when Football standout ,Dexter Jackson competed in ASU track one spring to hone his skills as a speedster?
Last edited by NewApp on Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:49 pm

APPARJ wrote:

Just trying to point out that it received attention and some coverage in circles universally. Wasn't implying that ASU T&F was a household word around the world.
Google SUX

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:58 pm

NewApp wrote:Those in favor of removing the track around the field in Kidd Brewer Stadium might want to consider the link below: Personally, I see pros and cons to the concept even other than cost, but I also respect what the track and field program has done for App's image even world-wide. APR wise it has done nothing but benefit us overall. The track has been a safe place for male and female athletes as well as the general public to run and walk.

I was up there on several occasions when she was being officially timed for the Olympics as well as the Pan Am games.

Mary Jayne Harrelson-Reeves

Mary Jayne Harrelson-Reeves (born June 17, 1978 in Roxboro, North Carolina) is a female middle distance runner from the United States. She is best known for winning the silver medal in the women's 1,500 metres event at the 2003 Pan American Games in Santo Domingo, Dominican Republic, behind Cuba's Adriana Muñoz.

Sorry but I fail to see the connection between having a successful T&F program and whether or not we get rid of the track. I think we can all agree that T&F is one of, historically, our strongest program and we all want to see them have the facilities they deserve, but in no way should their success, Olympians from the program, etc. weigh into the decision of whether or not to do what is right by the primary tenant of KBS. You don't see Oregon T&F begging to run around Autzen.

For the record I am a HUGE proponent of eliminating the track and doing something, pretty much anything, with that space. I don't care if we paint it green and install field level party cabanas (though I favor something with a little lowering/grandstand draw-in involved) a la Lucas Oil and AT&T. The point is that the track ultimately needs to go, and at that time T&F should be reassured that they'll have a quality facility to call home once they're gone.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:04 pm

How many times do I have to repeat that the T&F's performance should not be a deciding factor?
Google SUX

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:10 pm

Then what is the point of this thread? To recognize that some pretty good athletes have run on the track?
Give 'em hell!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:13 pm

BeauFoster wrote:Then what is the point of this thread? To recognize that some pretty good athletes have run on the track?
Read all my posts before you endeavor to get snarky.

FTR, Mary Jayne Harrelson was FAR from being just pretty good.
Google SUX

BeauFoster

Unread post by BeauFoster » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:22 pm

I've read them all...have no clue what you are trying to say.
Give 'em hell!

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:27 pm

I doubt very much that T&F recruiting will suffer when we move the track.

That program deserves its very own facility, as does football.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:32 pm

BeauFoster wrote:I've read them all...have no clue what you are trying to say.
That's not my problem. The messages i received said otherwise.
I think I made it abundantly clear that I wasn't saying it should in no way, shape or form be a deciding factor but it is one of a multitude of considerations.
Google SUX

AppAttack

Unread post by AppAttack » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:33 pm

This thread is pointless. Move t&f to its own dedicated facility and move on. Football & t/f both deserve its own facilities. Win-win.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:55 pm

Methinks Cline's off his meds again.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

AppGrad78

Unread post by AppGrad78 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 8:01 pm

AppinVA wrote:Methinks Cline's off his meds again.
If you don't like what he writes, ignore him. But give the snarky personal insults a rest.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”