Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

MSOC @ HPU for 7 PM road exhibition

asu66
School: Appalachian State

MSOC @ HPU for 7 PM road exhibition

Unread post by asu66 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:03 pm

We will find out a little about what our soccer men are made of tonite in High Point when our varsity takes on a very talented and very experienced High Point side. This is the club that beat us soundly last year in a home exhibition match. Let see if anything has changed.

Go here for LIVE STATS... http://www.sidearmstats.com/highpoint/msoc/

HIGH POINT, N.C. - The High Point University men's soccer team will host an exhibition match against Appalachian State at Vert Stadium on Saturday, Aug. 23, at 7 p.m. Admission for the game will be free and there will be fireworks following its conclusion.

The Panthers earned a 4-0 win over Catawba in their first exhibition match on Tuesday. Senior Mamadee Nyepon picked up a hat trick and redshirt-freshman Tony Murrillo scored a penalty kick goal for HPU.

High Point returns 10 starters and 18 letter winners from last season's team, which went 8-8-3 and finished second in the Big South with a 6-2-2 conference mark. Nyepon returns for his senior season after leading the Panthers with 11 goals and 27 points and earning first-team All-Conference honors. The forward needs just five goals and 13 points to break both HPU Div. I career records. Other All-Conference honorees returning include defenders Sonny Mukungu and Austin Yearwood and goalkeeper Kody Palmer.

Appalachian State struggled last season, going 4-7-7 overall and 1-4-1 in the Southern Conference. The Mountaineers return seven starters and 10 letter winners to the squad this season. Appalachian State returns its top four scorers from 2013, led by senior forward Stanley Broaden, who returns to ASU this season after notching five goals and 14 points in 2013. Forwards Trey Hemphill and Stephen Chapman and midfielder Donovan Japp all scored four goals for the Mountaineers last season and have returned in 2014.

The Mountaineers have picked up two exhibition wins over Big South opponents in 2014, beating UNC Asheville on the road and Campbell at home, both by a score of 2-1. Chapman has a goal in each game for ASU.

#GoHPU
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

HeffnerIV

Re: MSOC @ HPU for 7 PM road exhibition

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:17 pm

1-0 Win. Good to finish the pre-season undefeated.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sat Aug 23, 2014 10:27 pm

Hard fought game, start to finish. PK on the handball late seals the deal for the Apps. Unlucky for HP, hate it for them. A very good win for the Apps and hopefully a good momentum builder for the start of the regular season next week.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 7:25 am

A fantastic crowd packed the stadium last night at HP's beautiful, on-campus, multi-purpose facility. ASU should take note and consider integrating soccer and T&F facilities into one on-campus facility. What a great atmosphere! When you consider the bang from the buck afforded by a facility like this, it makes a great deal of economic sense. Not to mention, a new multi-purpose facility would help accomplish goals of moving soccer back on campus, and moving track off the football field. I might point out that UNCC and UNC both have consolidated, multi-purpose facilities on-campus, which host soccer and T&F.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:14 am

DoubleA wrote:A fantastic crowd packed the stadium last night at HP's beautiful, on-campus, multi-purpose facility. ASU should take note and consider integrating soccer and T&F facilities into one on-campus facility. What a great atmosphere! When you consider the bang from the buck afforded by a facility like this, it makes a great deal of economic sense. Not to mention, a new multi-purpose facility would help accomplish goals of moving soccer back on campus, and moving track off the football field. I might point out that UNCC and UNC both have consolidated, multi-purpose facilities on-campus, which host soccer and T&F.
I can't think of any space except maybe the parking lot behind the old Broyhill Inn that could be used without other issues. That is technically on-campus and contiguous with the campus, but my goodness walking that hill. I did it years ago, but I think most would want a bus, and once on a bus going a bit farther is not a big difference. I do wish we could get the old Watauga High. Not on campus but close.

I guess the Stadium Lot and then Raley Lot (Is that now Peacock Lot) are the two largest pieces of campus property that could be used for a new athletic field, though the lose of the parking spots would be an issue.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:36 am

I can't think of any space except maybe the parking lot behind the old Broyhill Inn that could be used without other issues. That is technically on-campus and contiguous with the campus, but my goodness walking that hill.

This would seem to be the most feasible choice, but like you said, access is not the easiest. Perhaps ski lifts would work. haha.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun Aug 24, 2014 8:54 am

DoubleA wrote:I can't think of any space except maybe the parking lot behind the old Broyhill Inn that could be used without other issues. That is technically on-campus and contiguous with the campus, but my goodness walking that hill.

This would seem to be the most feasible choice, but like you said, access is not the easiest. Perhaps ski lifts would work. haha.

The 1-0 win against HPU Is a good one for the Apps. They lost 2-0 to essentially this same side last season at home. HPU is one of the 5 or 6 strongest teams we'll play this season. Certainly not the best, but up there. Good result to start the regular season! It'a a good sign that multiple guys are getting shots on goal so early. That hasn't always been the case.

There is a tract of land already identified for a soccer/T&F facility on the university master plan; but it is in close proximity the Broyhill Center site. A ski lift would be appropriate for access from the main campus and west campus. As the crow flies, it's a short hop above KBS. As the road goes, geez what a hike.

For the record, it can now be stated w/o damaging the soccer program. Former AD Charlie Cobb REFUSED TO CONSIDER placing the soccer facility on campus once he learned he could get land and $$$,$$$ from the High Country Avalanche Soccer Cliub to help pay for facilities the university could use for MSOC and WSOC. He lost a lot of friends over that decision--because he broke a promise he'd made earlier.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:55 am

For the record, it can now be stated w/o damaging the soccer program. Former AD Charlie Cobb REFUSED TO CONSIDER placing the soccer facility on campus once he learned he could get land and $$$,$$$ from the High Country Avalanche Soccer Cliub to help pay for facilities the university could use for MSOC and WSOC. He lost a lot of friends over that decision--because he broke a promise he'd made earlier.

Yes, I heard a lot of excuses why a soccer / T&F facility won't work near Broyhill, including it's too cold up there. Geez, give me a break.

DoubleA

Unread post by DoubleA » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:58 am

There is a tract of land already identified for a soccer/T&F facility on the university master plan; but it is in close proximity the Broyhill Center site. A ski lift would be appropriate for access from the main campus and west campus. As the crow flies

We could boast the highest elevation soccer & T&F facility east of the Mississippi and perhaps the only one accessible by ski lift. How appropriate!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”