Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Modernized Yosef Logo Question

hotrod2001
School: Appalachian State

Modernized Yosef Logo Question

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:31 pm

Hey Everyone,

I remember a few years ago how much of a national rip we as a school got when the Athletics Department decided to make our old throwback "Victory Yosef" logo an official secondary logo...and there was a lot of commotion about it and how it lacked a bit of modernization and was completely butchered in the media from Fark.com to Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.net website deeming it the "Worst Logo of 2014"

Anyways, a few people threw together some alternate, modernized versions of it (me included) and during that time I came across the logo which I use for my avatar. I found the artist, a designer out of Nebraska which I hunted down and asked him if I could pitch it to the AD about maybe considering it for future branding purposes to which he said we could. My question is do you think it would be worth pitching to Gillen?

I personally have no issue with the throwback look, because of sentimental reasons, but for branding purposes I thought it was a little lazy to not even try to modernize the look prior to unveiling, but I just wanted some feedback.

HighlandsApp

Re: Modernized Yosef Logo Question

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:41 pm

hotrod2001 wrote:Hey Everyone,

I remember a few years ago how much of a national rip we as a school got when the Athletics Department decided to make our old throwback "Victory Yosef" logo an official secondary logo...and there was a lot of commotion about it and how it lacked a bit of modernization and was completely butchered in the media from Fark.com to Chris Creamer's Sportslogos.net website deeming it the "Worst Logo of 2014"

Anyways, a few people threw together some alternate, modernized versions of it (me included) and during that time I came across the logo which I use for my avatar. I found the artist, a designer out of Nebraska which I hunted down and asked him if I could pitch it to the AD about maybe considering it for future branding purposes to which he said we could. My question is do you think it would be worth pitching to Gillen?

I personally have no issue with the throwback look, because of sentimental reasons, but for branding purposes I thought it was a little lazy to not even try to modernize the look prior to unveiling, but I just wanted some feedback.

I love the new old Yosef logo. Better than any we have ever had in my opinion. The Mountaineer Mania grit grin Yosef from the 1980s is also good and I very much like your avatar Yosef. The new old Yosef was cleaned up a bit. Slight tweaks to make it a bit more distinguished looking like your avatar would not be bad. Florida State did that a year or two back and fans went insane although now no one remembers. Go for it.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:43 pm

Last time App got a designer to make a logo, we got Gorton's Fisherman.

All those modern designers can shove it.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 26, 2016 9:07 pm

The people mocking the vintage Yosef were graphic designers and rival fans. The logos the designers were holding up as the best new ones were generic and boring. Doing corporate graphic design and understanding sports marketing are two different skills.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:50 pm

T-Dog wrote:Last time App got a designer to make a logo, we got Gorton's Fisherman.

That logo and hot hot hot are probably the two lowest points in our school's history. The only thing I liked about the fisherman logo was that it showed more of a full face. That literally is all I like about that logo. Not a fan of the side profile look. Block A will always be my favorite. If this is pitched to the athletic department, a mention of black end zones would be love.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:57 pm

Old school Yosef is great. I dont think the articles were mocking the design or artistic skill necessarily, but rather the fact that it's a bald, pipe smoking, hillbilly and that's what makes it absolutely amazing in my opinion. Appalachian folk have been slandered and ridiculed nationally since the early 1900s at least. I love that we celebrate an overlooked aspect of America.

wdhsbcsasu

Unread post by wdhsbcsasu » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:10 pm

Old School and Block A.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:51 pm

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 wrote:
T-Dog wrote:Last time App got a designer to make a logo, we got Gorton's Fisherman.

That logo and hot hot hot are probably the two lowest points in our school's history. The only thing I liked about the fisherman logo was that it showed more of a full face. That literally is all I like about that logo. Not a fan of the side profile look. Block A will always be my favorite. If this is pitched to the athletic department, a mention of black end zones would be love.
Hot Hot Hot is too hilarious for me to get upset about. Any time some rival fan posts it and acts like they just found the ultimate mic drop clip, I just laugh at them. Like I'm actually going to try and defend that crappy slideshow and jingle just because it happened to be somebody from my alma mater who made it.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Wed Jan 27, 2016 12:19 am

Hot Hot Hot is almost 12 years old. I got over being embarrassed about it.

Corn Cob Pipe Yosef was brought back by the fans. They bought bootleg merch with the logo on it before App State filed an original creator's trademark on it and made the money themselves.

CCP Yosef is rough around the edges, politically incorrect and proud of it. It's more gangster than most current rap singers.

GreatAppSt

Unread post by GreatAppSt » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:23 am

The Modernized Yosef Logo I see here is so clean looking, (were his eyebrows threaded?) it looks a bit too metro-sexual for my taste, not that there is anything wrong with that . but.....

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:01 am

Throw-backs have that name for a reason and "modernization" completely misses the reason. Make all the new logos you wish, but "improving a throwback" is somewhat akin to starting an engine that's already running smoothly. It's nuts!

It's OK not to like Old Yosef. But a lot of students, alums and fans do like it. Just ask the Bookstore staff and the ASU marks, branding and licensing folks. It a cash cow.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

Dmanuhone

Unread post by Dmanuhone » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:13 am

Old School all the way.
Victory Yosef visited the Virgin Islands, now they are just called the Islands

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Jan 27, 2016 7:43 am

I think the "Yosef Snr" logo gets partly a bad rap due to who had it designed.

I still like it (see avatar), but I defiantly like the costumed version of "Yosef Snr" (2nd ed.) to "Yosef Jr".
The no mouthed supposed to be bald, in some versions, unintelligent looking young guy just doesn't hold up against the old distinguished mountain man, that will still whoop all those whippersnappers that get out of line. I have met some of our alumni that are the living embodiment of "Yosef Snr."
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:03 am

As far as a modernized logo, I think ESPN hit a homerun with their Yosef rendition for their "IN" campaign.

That said, I prefer the Block A and old school Yosef all the way.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:28 am

GreatAppSt wrote:The Modernized Yosef Logo I see here is so clean looking, (were his eyebrows threaded?) it looks a bit too metro-sexual for my taste, not that there is anything wrong with that . but.....

:lol: that's hysterical

WVAppsfan

Unread post by WVAppsfan » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:30 am

That logo was amazing, it was Grandfather Mountain and Yosef combined. It did not have the look of the fisherman and the fish stick products.
"Always give your all"

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 8:36 am

I personally love your avatar logo, hotrod. I also love our current Yosef. I also love the ESPN "IN" Yosef. I think they're all viable options. I would love to see the white Block A as our primary logo, with the current Yosef being our secondary, and then have one or two other logos in the lineup that can be used throughout the year.

You have to admit, having ESPN's logo on a helmet would look pretty dang sweet:

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:02 am

I support Victory Yosef.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:18 am

8993 wrote:I personally love your avatar logo, hotrod. I also love our current Yosef. I also love the ESPN "IN" Yosef. I think they're all viable options. I would love to see the white Block A as our primary logo, with the current Yosef being our secondary, and then have one or two other logos in the lineup that can be used throughout the year.

This!

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:42 am

8993 wrote:I personally love your avatar logo, hotrod. I also love our current Yosef. I also love the ESPN "IN" Yosef. I think they're all viable options. I would love to see the white Block A as our primary logo, with the current Yosef being our secondary, and then have one or two other logos in the lineup that can be used throughout the year.

ESPN would likely charge us a fortune for the use of that... I do like it though as a third logo.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”