Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thoughts on Job offer

bmeudy
School: Appalachian State

Thoughts on Job offer

Unread post by bmeudy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:10 pm

Hey guys,

It's actually been a few months since I've been on here... Wanted to see if you guys had any opinions to my work situation.

I've been employed at a local county government in IT for almost 7 years. Recently, the micromanagement and lack of opportunity to move up as taken a toll. A few weeks ago, I applied for 2 jobs - one in Denver, Co and one in Charleston, SC. Denver is my favorite option.

I received a call back on the Chucktown job in 20 minutes and had a phone interview scheduled later in the week! Went down for an interview and was offered the job this week. It's a nice bump in salary (+12K/yr), but Chucktown is a much higher cost of living.

As for the job in Colorado, I received a call and had 2 phone interviews, 1 HR, 1 Technical. I received an email yesterday to schedule a more in-depth technical interview over the phone next week (Tuesday). BTW, I have to let the Chucktown job know if I'm in or out by EOD Tuesday as well.

Since I'm having second thoughts on the Chucktown job and I really want to move to Colorado, I'm leaning towards turning down Chucktown and just focusing on Colorado. If I sound conflicted, it's because I am. Just don't want to wake up and regret not taking an opportunity.

Maybe some of you have been in this situation.... Thoughts?

Thanks.

Yosef
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Job offer

Unread post by Yosef » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:21 pm

Great question. When did chucktown officially offer you? Have you negotiated the salary at all for Chucktown? I wouldn't turn down Chucktown as it sounds like you prefer it to your current situation. I'd stall on Chucktown while letting Denver know that you have a deadline on another offer but Denver is your first choice.

I'd write back to Chucktown on Monday and tell them that you're very interested in the opportunity but you're concerned about the costs of such a move, finding an equal living situation, etc. Ask them if their salary offer is the best they can do or if they can give you more (ask for 5%-10%). When they email back on Monday afternoon or Tuesday, no matter what they say, tell them that sounds great, can you have 3 more days to talk it over with your family and you'll let them know by Friday end of day.

In the meantime, directly after your interview on Tuesday with Denver tell them you're really excited, they are number 1, but you have to let Chucktown know by Friday. That gives Denver the chance to move quickly if they want you.

Better that you have the choice between both of them than have the choice between neither.

I work in HR for a Fortune 100 company. Happy to answer any questions you may have.

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:27 pm

Thanks Yosef, that is an awesome suggestion. You are correct, I'd prefer Charleston to my current situation, but not over Colorado.

Chucktown officially offered me on Tuesday and the offer letter indicated a response was needed within 7 days. At this point, it is just the initial offer, so I have not negotiated yet. I initially thought about letting Denver know I had an offer, but wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

I appreciate the response!

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:54 pm

I moved to Denver seven years ago from Boone. It was the best decision I've ever made. Denver and Colorado will offer much more than Charleston. It's not secret though, over 100k people moved here in the last year alone. Real Estate last summer was the hottest in the country. Cost of living is a bit more, but is offset with a much higher quality of life.

Good luck,

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:14 pm

Thanks falcoapp,
We have some long time friends that live in Castle Rock. I was out there about a month ago. That got the fire burning hotter, lol.

Yosef
Site Admin

Thoughts on Job offer

Unread post by Yosef » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:16 pm

No problem. Location is a big deal of course, but I strongly encourage you to chose the best company fit for you. The right job in a good location is much better than a crappy job in a great location.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:23 pm

Moved from Boone to Denver 18 months ago. Denver combines the best elements of Boone and Charlotte. Ski and outdoors galore with NBA,NFL,NHL,MLB,MLS team and the best concert venue in America in red rocks.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:09 pm

Denver is good but Charleston is much closer to Boone. :lol:

Gotta think about being able to make it to more football games.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Thu Mar 31, 2016 4:21 pm

bmeudy wrote:Thanks falcoapp,
We have some long time friends that live in Castle Rock. I was out there about a month ago. That got the fire burning hotter, lol.
No kidding? I now live in Castle Rock.

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 5:02 pm

falcoapp wrote:
That's awesome. Here's to being neighbors soon.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Thu Mar 31, 2016 9:05 pm

Technically in Highlands Ranch, there is a descently active App alumni group out here btw. Only draw back to living here is the lack of access to App games. But NMSU this year and Wyoming in a couple years helps.
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Mar 31, 2016 11:41 pm

bmeudy wrote:
falcoapp wrote:
That's awesome. Here's to being neighbors soon.
bmeudy,'

I spent 20 years of a 38+ year career in HR for a non-profit organization (public school district) that was the second-largest employer in the county. Only Yosef's Fortune 100 company (I believe) was larger at that time. Time and corporate change made us the largest by default (but that's inconsequential to your situation). Think long and hard about Yosef's suggestion..."Location is a big deal of course, but I strongly encourage you to chose the best company fit for you. The right job in a good location is much better than a crappy job in a great location." IMHO, he's spot on with his encouragement and counsel. If you get to a point of having to roll the dice, make double-sure you can live with the outcome before you roll. To the degree possible, carefully evaluate the risks involved before you do something you'll long regret. I also wish you the best of luck.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

CharlestonAppFan

Unread post by CharlestonAppFan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 7:49 am

As you can see from my name, I'm absolutely biased :D However, as others have said, make the best choice for you based on the work environment, and the location should be 1B. You'll spend way more time at work, with co-workers and a job that you may hate. It doesn't matter if you are in your best choice of location if you do not like your job situation.

Furthermore, we do have a new mayor (if the job is with the city) that has placed a major emphasis on getting up to date (IT) with their systems and making communication a priority. In addition, there is a very active IT community down here and Charleston is becoming Silicon Valley lite with it's IT focused initiatives. Angel investors are everywhere and some of the best small IT companies in the US are beginning to relocate here. So what I'm saying is, if the government job isn't what you expected or wanted, there are many other options that may interest you.

As far as location, it's beautiful and hot during the summers. Beaches are easily accessible, it's an outdoor city with many different avenues for the avid outdoorsman. The only knocks I can say are the traffic (because there are only so many ways/bridges to get around and over the water) and the school system (if you are married and have kids). Although the school system is slowing changing for the better, albeit slowly. If you are single.....god bless you down here, it's a great place to be for that environment :D

As someone else said, it's about 4 and 1/2 hours to Boone, and now with Coastal in our conference, Myrtle is about 2 hours away. Priorities :lol: If you have any other questions, feel free to contact me anytime.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:29 am

Stall Charleston. I would not hesitate to point out that you are exploring multiple opportunities and might need some extra time to make a decision. If they don't understand that, you most likely don't want to work there anyway. If money would sway you, try to negotiate for more. Don't just ask for more; give them a number. Just keep in mind that if they meet it, you need to be prepared to accept.

At the same time, I'd tell Denver that they are your first choice but you have another offer on the table and therefore need a decision quickly. If anything, this just makes you look more in-demand.

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 9:56 am

bmeudy, if the timing is just not working out for you and you expect a Denver offer would come in a week or so after you must tell Charleston, then accept the Charleston offer. Then if Denver offers a few days later accept it and call the Charleston company back and tell them you have changed your mind. You may feel a little crappy about doing it, but this is business and your life. The Charleston company will move on to their next candidate and you will start packing to move to Denver. You can probably never work for the Charleston company in the future, but it is what it is. Good luck.

Yosef
Site Admin

Unread post by Yosef » Fri Apr 01, 2016 10:34 am

Nugget49 wrote:bmeudy, if the timing is just not working out for you and you expect a Denver offer would come in a week or so after you must tell Charleston, then accept the Charleston offer. Then if Denver offers a few days later accept it and call the Charleston company back and tell them you have changed your mind. You may feel a little crappy about doing it, but this is business and your life. The Charleston company will move on to their next candidate and you will start packing to move to Denver. You can probably never work for the Charleston company in the future, but it is what it is. Good luck.
Whole-heartedly disagree with this, and not just because he's a nugget. Once you give your word that you've accepted that job, you need to follow through. By accepting that job you are telling Charleston to tell all other candidates the position is filled and they begin prepping for your arrival. They stop looking for anyone else that is better than you and you should respect that by not looking for any company that's better than them.

Nugget is right - you CAN do that, but in my opinion, it's not the moral thing to do. We each have our own moral code so that's up to you. In my mind, you gave your word and they took action based on your word. Keep in mind, it is a really small world.

CharlestonAppFan

Unread post by CharlestonAppFan » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:15 am

Nugget49 wrote:bmeudy, if the timing is just not working out for you and you expect a Denver offer would come in a week or so after you must tell Charleston, then accept the Charleston offer. Then if Denver offers a few days later accept it and call the Charleston company back and tell them you have changed your mind. You may feel a little crappy about doing it, but this is business and your life. The Charleston company will move on to their next candidate and you will start packing to move to Denver. You can probably never work for the Charleston company in the future, but it is what it is. Good luck.
I hope that you aren't one of "those guys" when it comes to recruiting that b!tchez about a recruit changing his mind at the last second and switches from your team and goes with a better offer to a new team like App.

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 12:24 pm

CharlestonAppFan wrote:
I hope that you aren't one of "those guys" when it comes to recruiting that b!tchez about a recruit changing his mind at the last second and switches from your team and goes with a better offer to a new team like App.
If that ever happens I will get back to you.

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Fri Apr 01, 2016 2:32 pm

In my experience, Yosef and asu66 are absolutely correct. The working environment is best considered before the location, especially given all the upsides both Charleston and Denver have to offer. I've made job decisions based on wanting to be in a certain location only to end up mostly miserable in what should've been a cool town, because the job, company, co-workers, etc. were all wrong for me. Pay attention to the details of the job mandate, and what you're expected to do during the day, the personalities of your future leadership and teammates, upward movement opportunities.. You're the Free Agent in this deal, it's not just about the town, but about the team and what they have to offer you. Will you be a rookie on a team of young hot shots with no real promotion opportunities for years? Or a rookie on a team of veterans, set in their ways and not willing to listen to a kid?

It's not an easy decision, but it's a good problem to have. Assuming by your posts that your a technical resource, software or hardware engineer of some sort? The good news for you, is if you get to either company and it's just a bad fit, the market is ripe for young talent in IT these days. There will always be more opportunity.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Fri Apr 01, 2016 3:12 pm

Karma comes back to people who would do something like that. That move gets you black listed in my line of work.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”