Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Thoughts on Job offer

bmeudy
School: Appalachian State

Re: Thoughts on Job offer

Unread post by bmeudy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 2:40 pm

Hey guys!! Been a couple weeks and a lot has happened. Just wanted to update you since everyone had a little input. I had my third interview with the Denver company and we determined they were not the best fit. I accepted the position in Charleston. Quite frankly, I had a feeling this would be home. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

PS. now it will be much easier to make it back to Boonetown for some games, and Coastal when the Black and Gold comes to town.

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:03 pm

Now the really hard part comes in - where to live. Mount Pleasant, Summerville, North Charleston, Daniel Island?
Bring Your A Game!

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:16 pm

huskie3 wrote:Now the really hard part comes in - where to live. Mount Pleasant, Summerville, North Charleston, Daniel Island?
We got an apartment on Daniel Island. They have a great school there for my little boy.

CharlestonAppFan

Unread post by CharlestonAppFan » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:05 pm

bmeudy wrote:
huskie3 wrote:Now the really hard part comes in - where to live. Mount Pleasant, Summerville, North Charleston, Daniel Island?
We got an apartment on Daniel Island. They have a great school there for my little boy.
Daniel Island is nice! I live in West Ashley, traffic is a nightmare, but it's like that everywhere now a days. Be prepared, especially 526 where you are at.

bmeudy

Thoughts on Job offer

Unread post by bmeudy » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:06 pm

Daniel Island is nice! I live in West Ashley, traffic is a nightmare, but it's like that everywhere now a days. Be prepared, especially 526 where you are at.
Thanks for the heads up!

Lowcountry App

Unread post by Lowcountry App » Wed Apr 20, 2016 8:01 pm

bmeudy wrote:Hey guys!! Been a couple weeks and a lot has happened. Just wanted to update you since everyone had a little input. I had my third interview with the Denver company and we determined they were not the best fit. I accepted the position in Charleston. Quite frankly, I had a feeling this would be home. Thanks for everyone's thoughts and suggestions.

PS. now it will be much easier to make it back to Boonetown for some games, and Coastal when the Black and Gold comes to town.
Welcome to Charleston!

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:20 am

Yo cabin! Well it's been 2 years (2 years!) since I started this thread and thank you all for your input. I'm not one to move around much but the contract that my company has for the work I do is scheduled end at the end of Sept'18. I started looking a little more than a few months ago for jobs in the Charleston area, as well as, Denver, Co (again). I'm risk adverse, so I didn't want to wait to see if the contract gets renewed and risk not having a job. I have an autistic son and wife who depends on my income, so you can understand my trepidation.

We love Charleston and all that it offers, but the market is a bit soft right now in this area for my skillset. I've heard back from one Charleston company and have a phone interview scheduled, but the company doesn't have the best reputation for work/life balance. On the other hand, I've heard back from 2 Denver area companies and I'm flying out this Friday for an on-site with one and next Friday for an on-site with another.

I guess I say all this to say we are excited for what the future holds. Denver is a great city with a great tech hub, but we have to relocate. Charleston is also a great city, with a growing tech presence, but still a little sparse outside of Govt contracting.

You guys have any thoughts? Do I sound like a crazy person?

mikeyosef

Unread post by mikeyosef » Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 am

Bmeudy, A couple of things. Denver is a great city for tech and is growing rapidly in that area. Once there, you will find many opportunities within the company you work and within others. I have a daughter there working as a programmer and she loves it. I was also told by someone living in Austin, TX they plan to move to Denver as they see it in the same position Austin was 20 years ago...that's high praise for the future. In addition, the State is pouring much of the $Billions of marijuana tax revenue into improving the education system so I believe you will find very good overall support and programs for your Son. You should be aware the cost of living in Denver is going to be higher than Charleston; particularly for housing; so keep that in mind while comparing offers. There are only two downsides for Denver in my book; it's too far from the ocean and it's waaay too far from Boone. Good luck to you and your family.

appaneer1984

Unread post by appaneer1984 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 am

You can never go wrong with Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex...the Triangle and RTP are constantly growing and there is a huge influx of people moving in all the time. Both Cary and Apex are continuing to grow and build by leaps and bounds. Plus, you're 3 hours to Boone and 2-3 hours to the beach. Good luck with your decision!
I just come for what peace I can find | The spirit ever lingers in a song | And the mountain's gonna sing this song for me |Rock me off to sleep

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:32 am

mikeyosef wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:52 am
Bmeudy, A couple of things. Denver is a great city for tech and is growing rapidly in that area. Once there, you will find many opportunities within the company you work and within others. I have a daughter there working as a programmer and she loves it. I was also told by someone living in Austin, TX they plan to move to Denver as they see it in the same position Austin was 20 years ago...that's high praise for the future. In addition, the State is pouring much of the $Billions of marijuana tax revenue into improving the education system so I believe you will find very good overall support and programs for your Son. You should be aware the cost of living in Denver is going to be higher than Charleston; particularly for housing; so keep that in mind while comparing offers. There are only two downsides for Denver in my book; it's too far from the ocean and it's waaay too far from Boone. Good luck to you and your family.
Those are two items that I've thought about. I don't have offers in hand yet, but my expectation is to be comfortable enough to fly back for a couple of games and pick my dad (Concord) up along the way. That's always been our thing, and I don't want to lose it.
Last edited by bmeudy on Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:34 am

appaneer1984 wrote:
Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:07 am
You can never go wrong with Raleigh, Durham, Cary, Apex...the Triangle and RTP are constantly growing and there is a huge influx of people moving in all the time. Both Cary and Apex are continuing to grow and build by leaps and bounds. Plus, you're 3 hours to Boone and 2-3 hours to the beach. Good luck with your decision!
Agreed. RTP is booming and has been for some time. Being from NC (Concord), I've been around those areas all of my life. Right now, just not on our list of "Places to live". Thanks a ton for the luck!

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:01 am

I have two great friends in Denver (alumni as well) who are closing on their first house. I've been somewhat in the loop during the whole process and it has been crazy (offering $25K over asking and still getting beat), I can get some pointers/tips from them if you'd like. Supposedly they got into the "last Denver zip code to be gentrified." :lol:

SpeedkingATL

Unread post by SpeedkingATL » Wed Apr 04, 2018 9:13 am

I would advise you to find a location very close to your work if you will be working from an office. Charleston isn't Atlanta but you will find traffic can be a rush hour issue if you don't have a simple commute. I moved close to work 15 years ago in ATL and gained 45-60 minutes each way and saved my sanity. BTW I love Isle of Palms/Wild Dunes area.

falcoapp

Unread post by falcoapp » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:15 pm

I moved to Denver 9 years ago from Boone. I still visit Boone and North Carolina, but could not go back anytime soon. This is not to say I don't find Boone a great place, just the opposite as it will always remain a very special place in my heart.

However, there is so much more to offer out here in terms of employment, lifestyle, and education. Yes, the cost of living is much higher than anywhere in the South, but there's a reason for that.

Please private message me if you have any specific questions. I can help.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:26 pm

falcoapp wrote:
Thu Mar 31, 2016 2:54 pm
I moved to Denver seven years ago from Boone. It was the best decision I've ever made. Denver and Colorado will offer much more than Charleston. It's not secret though, over 100k people moved here in the last year alone. Real Estate last summer was the hottest in the country. Cost of living is a bit more, but is offset with a much higher quality of life.

Good luck,
Denver will offer more for you depending on what you enjoy. I've been to both Denver and Charleston and most certainly love Charleston. I also enjoy fishing and all things coastal so Charleston would provide more.

97grad

Unread post by 97grad » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:14 am

I'm in tech as well, and my advice is to choose the area that is better for tech jobs. I live in the Triangle for exactly this reason. Charleston is great, but Denver is clearly better for tech. As a techie in somewhere like Charleston, you'll always be a job loss away from having to pickup and move anyway, and not on your terms. And if you've been in the tech sector long enough, you'll know that the odds of said job loss are higher than in many other sectors. You'll always have more options in a tech heavy area.

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 10:54 am

Thanks guys for the input. Just wanted to clear up what I perceive as some confusion. My original post was 2 years ago and I accepted a job and moved from Concord to Charleston. Now my Charleston contract is coming to an end, in Sept, so I'm looking again. Also, as an update, I flew out to Reno last Friday and interviewed for a position in Centennial, Colorado. They just called and will be making an offer. I have another interview in Denver this Friday. Honestly, I'm more looking forward to this Friday. I have only received one call back for a position in Charleston, which was a phone screen.

ASUPATCH

Unread post by ASUPATCH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am

I work in the Denver Tech Center area. Let me know if you need any suggestions when you get out here. The suburbs of Parker, Centennial and Highlands Ranch offer the best schools for your little one. Good Luck!
Appalachian State, Better than your school since 1899!!!!

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:32 am

ASUPATCH wrote:
Mon Apr 09, 2018 11:26 am
I work in the Denver Tech Center area. Let me know if you need any suggestions when you get out here. The suburbs of Parker, Centennial and Highlands Ranch offer the best schools for your little one. Good Luck!
Thanks ASUPATCH!

bmeudy

Unread post by bmeudy » Tue Apr 10, 2018 6:23 am

UPDATE: I received an offer last night from the interview on 4/6. This company was my second choice. I have an on-site interview this Friday with my first choice. I asked the offering company if I could have until Monday to respond. They reluctantly agreed. The relocation benefits were a bit less than I expected and are more of a reimbursement method, rather than a "we move you" method, which is what I expected. Hopefully the interview this Friday goes well and I'm packing for Colorado.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”