Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Final AP Poll.... No votes

ah59396
School: Appalachian State

Re: Final AP Poll.... No votes

Unread post by ah59396 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:32 pm

We would have got votes if we had taken care of business. We had Tennessee and we blew it. Otherwise, we could have afforded the P5 losses had we won out following the Miami loss.

But the reality is, despite what Bowl records indicate, we didn't even win the worst perceived conference, outright. The AP is going to be especially harsh due to perception. I suspect we get about 5 votes in the coaches poll.

At the end of the day, we play in one of the worst conferences in FBS. We will have to dominate it to be recognized.
YNWA

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:21 pm

ah59396 wrote:We would have got votes if we had taken care of business. We had Tennessee and we blew it. Otherwise, we could have afforded the P5 losses had we won out following the Miami loss.

But the reality is, despite what Bowl records indicate, we didn't even win the worst perceived conference, outright. The AP is going to be especially harsh due to perception. I suspect we get about 5 votes in the coaches poll.

At the end of the day, we play in one of the worst conferences in FBS. We will have to dominate it to be recognized.
Yet we got NONE after receiving votes the entire season except for immediately after the Troy and Miami games. We were a mainstay only to have it yanked at season end.

AP is gonna be the AP. The coaches is where my beef is. Total BS.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:35 pm

I thought I remember it being said that Satterfield had a vote? - evidently I mis-remembered ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

JakeASU

Unread post by JakeASU » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:08 pm

I can deal with App State not being ranked. I can't deal with us not receiving votes and SDSU being ranked. We have the edge in SoS, two of our three losses came against year end top-25 teams and none of theirs did, and we had a top-10 D1 defense. There's no objective way someone could consider them to be better than us.

bh2oson

Unread post by bh2oson » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:14 pm

The only 10+ win teams not to get votes in either poll were App and ODU. (Troy had 2 votes in coaches, 0 in the AP) I think it will take some years of winning before the voters respect the new guys on the block.
bh2oson aka Bill Waterson

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:20 am

Nice article EastHall...you pretty much sum up the situation...though a very disappointing situation. This team deserves some recognition on that stage but we're still infants in the FBS world and will have to win (literally) that respect on the field. I'm sure the poll voters are aware, but your average person still thinks of us as a good FCS team. Hopefully, we'll continue our progress next season...can't wait.

HighPointApp

Unread post by HighPointApp » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:35 am

Just to add on to what you posted Rick -

As I was reading about Clemson winning their NC and the walk-on WR catching the game winning TD, the writer of the ESPN article referred to us as being an FCS school. All I could think of was "no respect".
Give 'em Hell!
Class of ‘96

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:42 am

HighPointApp wrote:Just to add on to what you posted Rick -

As I was reading about Clemson winning their NC and the walk-on WR catching the game winning TD, the writer of the ESPN article referred to us as being an FCS school. All I could think of was "no respect".
Maybe the writer was thinking, at the time (4 years ago) we were in our last year of FCS.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 10:15 am

WataugaMan wrote:
HighPointApp wrote:Just to add on to what you posted Rick -

Maybe the writer was thinking, at the time (4 years ago) we were in our last year of FCS.
That's possible but the move to FBS was already announced and in progress at that point in time wasn't it?

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:00 am

Yes it was announced, I'm just trying to figure out where these writers are coming from (shooting from the hip). Nevertheless, until we start finishing the job against P5 competition nothing will change.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:18 am

WataugaMan wrote:Yes it was announced, I'm just trying to figure out where these writers are coming from (shooting from the hip). Nevertheless, until we start finishing the job against P5 competition nothing will change.
Yeah, I think that's the case. Although, when we do beat an upper level P5 team (Wake won't count), it'll be compared to the 2007 Michigan game which really won't be a fair comparison at all as to what that '07 team accomplished with that win, but since we're still in peoples' minds as FCS...it will be brought up. It came up with the Tennessee game but it was the 10 year anniversary of that game.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:00 pm

Actually it came up again during our bowl game against Toldeo last month. My wife said once it appeared I stated, "ah hell, here we go again."

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:03 am

Bulletin Board material for all of off-season going into Athens.

#NoRespect

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jan 12, 2017 10:28 am

I still don't get the problem. If we got 2 votes what would that really mean?

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:16 am

bcoach wrote:I still don't get the problem. If we got 2 votes what would that really mean?
Not much really, but to win our bowl game and to drop spots is puzzling. In the scope of things it probably doesn't mean much other than the fact that we aren't as much of an item to the rest of the college football world as we would like to think. If the "proposed" G5 playoff were to follow a similar path as the CFP does, then based on our ranking we wouldn't even have gotten a sniff of the playoff. In the end, until we get a notable win we aren't likely to move much beyond where we currently reside. That's not a bad thing but we have much yet to accomplish if we really want to be taken seriously at this level.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:25 am

hapapp wrote:
bcoach wrote:I still don't get the problem. If we got 2 votes what would that really mean?
Not much really, but to win our bowl game and to drop spots is puzzling. In the scope of things it probably doesn't mean much other than the fact that we aren't as much of an item to the rest of the college football world as we would like to think. If the "proposed" G5 playoff were to follow a similar path as the CFP does, then based on our ranking we wouldn't even have gotten a sniff of the playoff. In the end, until we get a notable win we aren't likely to move much beyond where we currently reside. That's not a bad thing but we have much yet to accomplish if we really want to be taken seriously at this level.
CFP doesn't use AP or coaches' polls (and often varies significantly from them), and pretty much everyone agrees G5 playoff would include auto bids for all conference champions.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:10 pm

I do get frustrated when the media (supposedly professionals who should know better) reference our program incorrectly. I also see how it is baffling that we win our Bowl game and drop in rank. That being said, I think the word "respect" is the wrong word here. I think the issue is a lack of awareness, not a lack of "respect." We have yet to post that big attention getting win since we moved up. The Camellia Bowl was GREAT, and I'm not buying into the criticism of that game or of Montgomery, AL. The fact is that, it's a minor bowl and it only gets us so much recognition. I think we all knew it was going to be a long journey and we are WAY AHEAD of where we expected to be, but some of us need to reign in our enthusiasm just a little bit and appreciate the accomplishments to date. Complaints that we aren't yet ranked or talk of a NY6 Bowl (as if anything less is failure) is WAY premature.

The fact is that the Polls process is broken and the Bowl structures need to be re-vamped. None of that is new information. Sure! Use this as a motivator for the team to "GO GET THAT RESPECT" but fans need to be realistic about setting expectations...at least in the short term.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:45 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:
CFP doesn't use AP or coaches' polls (and often varies significantly from them), and pretty much everyone agrees G5 playoff would include auto bids for all conference champions.
Perhaps and would assume that to be the case but since nothing actually has been formally proposed nothing prevents it from being a copycat of the CFP. The point is most rankings or ratings have us outside the top 10 of the G5.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 1:24 pm

hapapp wrote:
EastHallApp wrote:
hapapp wrote:
Perhaps and would assume that to be the case but since nothing actually has been formally proposed nothing prevents it from being a copycat of the CFP. The point is most rankings or ratings have us outside the top 10 of the G5.
Depends how one defines "most." If you mean the two major polls of writers and coaches, yes. If you're considering more data-based ratings that actually measure how teams perform rather than the opinions of writers or coaches/SIDs who know little about G5 football, then no:
G5 rankings.JPG
G5 rankings.JPG (17.5 KiB) Viewed 3997 times
I'm sure there are other systems I didn't include, but those are the ones I found at a quick search.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:31 pm

I was going by the polls. I don't think anyone knows if they would use rating systems. As a matter of fact, I think they more accurately reflect where we are. If they go by human input, then that list really is meaningless. The metrics that most fans look at are the polls and perhaps the more popular rating systems like Massey and CBS Sports. My point was that in the minds of the sports writers and coaches, we don't rate as highly as we all would like to think we should. We have no reason to complain about the success we have experienced to date, I couldn't be more excited about where we are. Its just not apparent to as many folks as we might think. We can solve that by continuing what we have started.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”