Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Logan, Robinson to Transfer

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

Re: Logan, Robinson to Transfer

Unread post by Goapps15 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:55 am

Yosef10 wrote:
Gonzo wrote:Hold on there. We're obviously not in a financial situation that would allow us to buy out Fox's remaining years. It's reasonable to hold off for one more year. But let's not pretend that he's done anything to "deserve" a full five year tenure. This program went from bad to worse. There have been no signs of improvement from JC on or off the court. Put down the Fox Koolaid.

Him signing the contract in the first place is all he needed to do to "deserve" 5 years. No coach App State could reasonably get was going to do anything with this program unless it was a 5 year deal. You're wrong to say it's gone from bad to worse, we're in a significantly tougher league and that's not to be discounted. You're also wrong to say there have been no signs of improvement off the court, just not true. Never said the man was Dean Smith or K but he does deserve the full length of his contact and next year will start the determination if he'll get extended or it. No kool-aid, just reasonable expectations.
I would strongly disagree about the on court product. The on court product has been down ever since the beginning of the Capel era. Now the off court product has been better sans this incident. But this incident really hurts the depth of what he was building. Logan and Robinson were both guys Fox was counting on for next year.

One thing everybody forgets is that Jim was not Doug's hire. He's already proven he will let a coach with a year on his deal to find his guy. I don't think he is coaching for an extension next year, I think he is coaching for his job. Another sub 10 win and near bottom finish in the Sun Belt and he will be gone.

Yosef10

Unread post by Yosef10 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:33 am

We'll have to agree to disagree then. And everything I have read behind pay walls and heard from people far more informed than I strongly suggests you are wrong about him coaching for his job next year. Billy Jones inherited a baseball program that was 2-0 in regionals and a win away from the super regional before we lost 2 in a row. Jim Fox inherited a basketball program that was arguably one of the worst in the country. Big difference there and I would fully expect Gillin to recognize that. Not a coach on earth who would actually take the App State job would turn this program around in less than 5 years.

NathanVC
School: Buffalo

Unread post by NathanVC » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:56 am

asu66 wrote:
app97 wrote:time to find a point guard. There is not another true PG on the roster and I don't think we had one on the radar for next year, according to verbalcommits.com
The guys at verbalcommits.com are good, but they aren't the "be-all, end-all" of college basketball knowledge.
Hello, my name is Nathan LeClair and I am the CEO of Verbal Commits. Appreciate the mention!

I agree that we aren't the "be-all, end-all" of college basketball knowledge. There are other sites with good information as well. We try out darn best though!

Keeping up with these transfers is crazy...can barely stay on top of it all. Just passed 200 transfers yesterday!

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:07 pm

Yosef10 wrote:We'll have to agree to disagree then. And everything I have read behind pay walls and heard from people far more informed than I strongly suggests you are wrong about him coaching for his job next year. Billy Jones inherited a baseball program that was 2-0 in regionals and a win away from the super regional before we lost 2 in a row. Jim Fox inherited a basketball program that was arguably one of the worst in the country. Big difference there and I would fully expect Gillin to recognize that. Not a coach on earth who would actually take the App State job would turn this program around in less than 5 years.
I believe Fox deserves the five years on his contract. It would be unfair to him, once he has assembled his team with his players who have several years experience under their belt, to look in a different direction.

However, I don't know how we know that someone else couldn't have made better progress. Perhaps, a more experienced coach (remember Jim has never been a head man) could do it. Obviously, there is no way to know. No doubt, the two guards leaving the program doesn't make his life easier. But, at some point we have to be able to say things are significantly better than when he took over.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:34 pm

Both of these guys were two of our "better" players and had skills, but neither wanted to be here and neither give a damn about the block A in my opinion. When you lose guys like that, it's always addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:06 pm

diehardapp18 wrote:Both of these guys were two of our "better" players and had skills, but neither wanted to be here and neither give a damn about the block A in my opinion. When you lose guys like that, it's always addition by subtraction as far as I'm concerned.

The summer tour to Europe was supposed to be a bonding experience for all the players and coaches, i.e. to help build a family unit that would head off these "wild hair" temptations before they ripped at the team's fabric. Apparently, Logan and Robinson didn't buy into the theme and the noble intent. In the end, we'll be a better team w/o them. It's a shame, but it's on the two misguided ones. They had a fab opportunity and threw it down a rabbit hole on a lark. They apparently chose a hot night on the NO strip instead of a quiet night of tourney game prep with their teammates. So, I say good riddance.

I hope they get another opportunity and make something positive come of it.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

RollNeers

Unread post by RollNeers » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:23 pm

I played basketball at the SRC with Kelvin on Thursday. It's a shame, he's very good.

diehardapp18

Unread post by diehardapp18 » Sat Apr 01, 2017 11:52 pm

RollNeers wrote:I played basketball at the SRC with Kelvin on Thursday. It's a shame, he's very good.
Yeah he was probably our best defender. It's a shame, but he doesn't care about the school or program man. He's proven that time and time again. To be successful in college basketball you have to have guys that care endlessly about your school and the brand, and they have to care even more about the guys in the locker room. Robinson didn't care.

I have some serious questions about the character of the guys we are recruiting. I've said it time and time again here but the reason we are losing right now with Fox is because of recruiting. 1) the guys we are getting aren't very good 2) they don't seem to be high character guys. I think if Fox wants to make it work here (and I still think he can) he has to bring a different approach to the recruiting trails.

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Feb 08, 2018 4:33 pm

We might see Robinson again on the other side of the court.

Hope the kid has his life straightened out.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Basketball”