Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New Softball Coach Needed

app
School: Appalachian State

Re: New Softball Coach Needed

Unread post by app » Sun May 21, 2017 2:48 pm

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:Word is the next hire could ultimately decide the fate of Softball at App. There are no immediate plans of a new softball field. This next hire will be a young male as that is what the current players are asking for. If there is some success in the first three years then there will be a new stadium announced with an extension. If the new hire does not get the job done, we could see the bulldozers lining up on Jack Branch drive and the end of Softball at App for a period of time. Space would be reserved at the WHS site for a future return of SB. With so many projects in line, the administration is not going to continue to pour money into something that is so terrible. For Title IX requirements, most likely replacement would be a swim team to compete in a conference other than the Sun Belt. Facility already in place st SRC.
Highly doubtful...

Softball in this area is 1,000 times more likely to succeed than swimming. Maybe if we were in the Pac-12 swimming would be an option...

RiversRunsThroughIt

Unread post by RiversRunsThroughIt » Sun May 21, 2017 3:16 pm

To each their own. Time will tell. If we eliminate a women's program their has to be a replacement. Socon Champs is nice and all but it's doesn't matter anymore. We are in the Sun Belt and going 4-66 in conference, (that's even more astounding after typing it), since arriving here shows the terrible state of the program and the uphill battle ahead. It's not the coaching, it's the level of talent. It's awful.
Having a grass field is an issue with the administration. Not having a field that is allowed to host a Sun Belt conference tournament is an issue with the administration. The field currently sitting in the way of expanding the indoor facility is an issue with the administration. All of these factors have the PTBs questioning the cost.

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Sun May 21, 2017 3:48 pm

Women's swimming does have two more scholarships than softball. I'd love to see swimming and diving return to App. Having been a swimmer and having played club water polo in college, I would be very supportive of an aquatics program on the mountain. Time will tell what happens and when.

Go Apps!
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

appstate77

Unread post by appstate77 » Sun May 21, 2017 3:57 pm

If we only had a Hockey Rink....maybe we do and I do not know of it. Given our Winter climate a women's hockey team might be fun to watch!

Boone Goon

Unread post by Boone Goon » Sun May 21, 2017 4:03 pm

Another good hire, like Kermit for baseball, and this program can be a winner in 3 seasons. There's enough talent in NC/SC to be a competitive program other Sun belt teams worry about.

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Sun May 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Info from the "we can't" era of Appalachian Athletics

During the construction of the SRC, I was told by the VC for Business Affairs (Jane Helm) the AD (Roachel Laney) that the aquatics area was not designed for collegiate competition and would not meet the minimum standards for hosting any NCAA Division I swimming or diving competition. If we can't host a two-team meet; we certainly can't host the Sun Belt Championship.

http://www.athleticbusiness.com/images/ ... -specs.pdf

Is there other "info" about this issue out there somewhere that we need to be made aware of?
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sun May 21, 2017 7:11 pm

66 is right, the SRC pool isn't for NCAA meets. It would need to be remodeled or a new pool would have to be built. The length is 25 meters, so you'd have to double the size of the pool or dig down the shallow end and take away a rec aspect for teaching swimming. I learned how to properly swim in that shallow end.

Both S&D and softball make the same amount of money, which is nothing.

I'd say lacrosse would be more likely than S&D at App, and I hate lacrosse.

3rd

Unread post by 3rd » Sun May 21, 2017 8:06 pm

T-Dog wrote:66 is right, the SRC pool isn't for NCAA meets. It would need to be remodeled or a new pool would have to be built. The length is 25 meters, so you'd have to double the size of the pool or dig down the shallow end and take away a rec aspect for teaching swimming. I learned how to properly swim in that shallow end.

Both S&D and softball make the same amount of money, which is nothing.

I'd say lacrosse would be more likely than S&D at App, and I hate lacrosse.

Don't know exactly about the requirements for NCAA meets but I'm pretty sure that pool is 50m, it just has a divider to split it and right now you some sideways not longways. (A common thing done in 50m pools)

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Sun May 21, 2017 10:35 pm

Everyone just settle down. With all due respect to the new poster there are several people on here with very good sources and they will let people know if anything like this is anywhere in the near future or future at all. Simple as that.

NCSB

Unread post by NCSB » Mon May 22, 2017 11:20 am

Maybe the next coach is still playing. Who knows? Watched a ton of softball this past week. It's amazing how our game changes offensively every year. The one consistent is all 16 teams in the Supers has a work horse of a pitcher. The defense this year has been well below par.

NCSB

Unread post by NCSB » Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:26 pm

RiversRunsThroughIt wrote:Word is the next hire could ultimately decide the fate of Softball at App. There are no immediate plans of a new softball field. This next hire will be a young male as that is what the current players are asking for. If there is some success in the first three years then there will be a new stadium announced with an extension. If the new hire does not get the job done, we could see the bulldozers lining up on Jack Branch drive and the end of Softball at App for a period of time. Space would be reserved at the WHS site for a future return of SB. With so many projects in line, the administration is not going to continue to pour money into something that is so terrible. For Title IX requirements, most likely replacement would be a swim team to compete in a conference other than the Sun Belt. Facility already in place st SRC.
If that is the case, then someone folks aren't telling the truth. It's all about the $$, but FP softball is growing, and continues to beat college baseball post season tv ratings. Unless swimming is going to take on 35+ swimmers, then the Title IX requirements will continue to fall on softball. App has an opportunity to take this program in a winning direction, but it's up to DG to make the right hire, and lead the way. Just replacing the coach won't make this a winning program, but it will make a difference.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 9:30 am

BCoach indicated he would prefer an experience D1 assistant coach to a coach from D2. I've seen this debate in other sports as well, but to me, I think I would rather have someone who is experienced as a HEAD coach from D2 and who had shown the ability to build a program. I'm not saying this as a challenge but I would like to hear other's opinions because I've flip flopped over the past few years on this issue. Especially in baseball / softball, the difference between D1 and D2 seems less important. any thoughts on this?

The idea of scrapping softball in order to field a start up swimming program in any other sport doesn't make sense. The Sunbelt doesn't have a swimming championship, does it? Just doesn't pass the sniff test.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jun 21, 2017 4:29 pm

Yosef84 wrote:BCoach indicated he would prefer an experience D1 assistant coach to a coach from D2. I've seen this debate in other sports as well, but to me, I think I would rather have someone who is experienced as a HEAD coach from D2 and who had shown the ability to build a program. I'm not saying this as a challenge but I would like to hear other's opinions because I've flip flopped over the past few years on this issue. Especially in baseball / softball, the difference between D1 and D2 seems less important. any thoughts on this?

The idea of scrapping softball in order to field a start up swimming program in any other sport doesn't make sense. The Sunbelt doesn't have a swimming championship, does it? Just doesn't pass the sniff test.
Yosef84 you misread my post. I said I would like an experienced Div 1 HEAD coach not assistant coach. It looks to me like we have a tremendous amount of work to do and in my humble opinion we need someone who has been there. I don't think people really understand how big time college softball really is. This is not a club sport. These are fine and experienced athletes. They deserve a good division 1 or and "outstanding" Div 2 head coach. Lastly if this 3 year rumor is really making the rounds then it needs to stop this second. Recruiting will come to a halt. These ladies do their homework. I coached them for 25+ years.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 9:16 am

bcoach wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:BCoach indicated he would prefer an experience D1 assistant coach to a coach from D2. I've seen this debate in other sports as well, but to me, I think I would rather have someone who is experienced as a HEAD coach from D2 and who had shown the ability to build a program. I'm not saying this as a challenge but I would like to hear other's opinions because I've flip flopped over the past few years on this issue. Especially in baseball / softball, the difference between D1 and D2 seems less important. any thoughts on this?

Yosef84 you misread my post. I said I would like an experienced Div 1 HEAD coach not assistant coach. It looks to me like we have a tremendous amount of work to do and in my humble opinion we need someone who has been there. I don't think people really understand how big time college softball really is. This is not a club sport. These are fine and experienced athletes. They deserve a good division 1 or and "outstanding" Div 2 head coach. Lastly if this 3 year rumor is really making the rounds then it needs to stop this second. Recruiting will come to a halt. These ladies do their homework. I coached them for 25+ years.
Sorry about that, BCoach. I stand corrected. I completely agree that the Softball team deserves an outstanding coach!

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:11 am

New coach presser tomorrow.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:18 am

Yosef84 wrote:
bcoach wrote:

Sorry about that, BCoach. I stand corrected. I completely agree that the Softball team deserves an outstanding coach!
No problem. I know you do.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jun 22, 2017 10:19 am

T-Dog wrote:New coach presser tomorrow.
Thanks. Fingers crossed.

NCSB

Unread post by NCSB » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:11 pm

How's the confidentiality on this site? LOL!

firemoose

Unread post by firemoose » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:22 pm

Confidentiality.. :lol: Now that's funny.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:28 pm

I don't even understand the question(:

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Olympic Sports”