Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UGA Talks Appalachian State

sixtoes9134

Re: UGA Talks Appalachian State

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:04 pm

AppinVA wrote:
sixtoes9134 wrote:The fact that they don't consider Samford Division 1 is exactly the reason I wanted out of the FCS.

These guys were close to Wayne and Garth. Yea, um, you know, yea um. yea.
Paragraph 1: Yes. A thousand times.
Paragraph 2: Makes me appreciate our guys even more.
The analysis was decent, don't get me wrong, but just proves anyone can do a podcast. I majored in Communications at App and I cringed about 50 times during that audio.

AppinVA
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by AppinVA » Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:51 pm

sixtoes9134 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
sixtoes9134 wrote:The fact that they don't consider Samford Division 1 is exactly the reason I wanted out of the FCS.

These guys were close to Wayne and Garth. Yea, um, you know, yea um. yea.
Paragraph 1: Yes. A thousand times.
Paragraph 2: Makes me appreciate our guys even more.
The analysis was decent, don't get me wrong, but just proves anyone can do a podcast. I majored in Communications at App and I cringed about 50 times during that audio.
As did I. On both accounts.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:28 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:I majored in Communications at App
I also drank a lot of beer in college.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:37 am

Gonzo wrote:
Gonzo - let's put it this way - we used to say, come to CMA (Communications Arts) where the wind is always at your back!

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:28 pm

Gonzo wrote:
But, now that we've matured and are productive members of society, it's more like:

https://www.google.com/search?q=i+don%2 ... vFU2rYknpM:

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 1:06 pm

I am a homer.We will win.Hall of fame coach Jerry Moore has said"We don't go play a game to lose"

MtnDevil95

Unread post by MtnDevil95 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:16 am

It's no Black & Gold Podcast that's for damned sure, but their analysis was not horrible either. Honestly, it's about as much respect as I would expect, perhaps a bit more, from a fan base that fancies their program to be a National Championship contender every year.
“When you take that field today, you've got to lay that heart on the line, men. From the souls of your feet, with every ounce of blood you've got in your body, lay it on the line until the final whistle blows.”

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:53 am

The biggest issue that I have with their expert analysis lies with the fact that they stated that we run a "finesse" offense. There is a huge difference in utilizing a zone blocking scheme (with lots of pancakes) and running a "finesse" offense. The number of bruises on opponents on Sunday mornings (or Friday mornings after our annual Jawja Suthern beat down) suggests that we operate differently than most zone blocking offenses.

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Mon Jun 12, 2017 11:59 am

Yosef84 wrote:

I also think they underestimate our passing game. I know Lamb doesn't have a great arm down field but he is very reliable in shorter passes and uses play action really well. I also think our passing was limited last year because of the inexperience at WR. We will be faster and more experienced this year and I don't think Meadors will be our only down field target. Last year he was and wound up being a decoy more than anything. We also used the shorter passes and runs to control the clock, which isn't a bad approach.

I think our pass/run attacks will be more balanced this year, or at least I hope it will be. If we can't throw the ball on UGA, it's going to be a long day. I think we can.
I disagree that they are underestimating our passing game, especially the downfield passing game. Not until our guys can prove that we can be successful throwing a completed pass farther than 15 yards downfield consistently against a quality SEC defense. I'd expect we see UGA take the same approach Clemson and load the box (with 8 or 9 in there) and dare us to throw it deep on us.

I do however think they are underestimating our run game. If our OLine is healthy going into this game, I think we can run it on UGA's front seven. They load the box with 8 or 9, we must be successful in taking shots downfield to keep them honest.

GO' NEERS!
Last edited by ASUGoose on Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:59 pm

Really give Taylor zero respect throwing the ball. They make him sound completely inept. We all acknowledge that he doesn't have a Howitzer but dang he gets the job done.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:35 pm

The difference between a homer podcast and a professional broadcast is preparedness and delivery. These guys had a little preparation, no delivery. Homerism on a podcast is fine because it's a podcast. I don't expect them to be neutral.

#1 mistake of most podcasts is they talk a lot without saying anything.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:16 am

ASUGoose wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:

I also think they underestimate our passing game. I know Lamb doesn't have a great arm down field but he is very reliable in shorter passes and uses play action really well. I also think our passing was limited last year because of the inexperience at WR. We will be faster and more experienced this year and I don't think Meadors will be our only down field target. Last year he was and wound up being a decoy more than anything. We also used the shorter passes and runs to control the clock, which isn't a bad approach.

I think our pass/run attacks will be more balanced this year, or at least I hope it will be. If we can't throw the ball on UGA, it's going to be a long day. I think we can.
I disagree that they are underestimating our passing game, especially the downfield passing game. Not until our guys can prove that we can be successful throwing a completed pass farther than 15 yards downfield consistently against a quality SEC defense. I'd expect we see UGA take the same approach Clemson and load the box (with 8 or 9 in there) and dare us to throw it deep on us.

I do however think they are underestimating our run game. If our OLine is healthy going into this game, I think we can run it on UGA's front seven. They load the box with 8 or 9, we must be successful in taking shots downfield to keep them honest.

GO' NEERS!
I guess we will see how this plays out but I don't think we have to throw 30+ yard passes in order to keep them honest. If we're consistently hitting 15 yarders (obviously it would be good to have a few longer ones as well), we can keep the offense moving. Lamb threw more passes his Sophomore year than he did last year because we had a stacked field of WRs. I think we'll see more of that. It is still unproven, so we'll just have to wait and see how successful we are.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:19 am

I look for Mock Adams to really be a threat this year and I also forgot until I recently looked at roster that we get Letman back. For some reason I had it in my head he graduated. But, I think those two will be a great complement to Meadors. Probably see more Darrynton there too.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:58 am

sixtoes9134 wrote:I look for Mock Adams to really be a threat this year and I also forgot until I recently looked at roster that we get Letman back. For some reason I had it in my head he graduated. But, I think those two will be a great complement to Meadors. Probably see more Darrynton there too.
We also have TJ Watkins coming back and by all accounts, Jalen Virgil should get some significant snaps as a redshirt freshman as well. I like our depth at WR.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:57 pm

Yosef84 wrote:I thought they did a more thorough job analyzing the game than most of our power opponents. We got some respect, but I like to believe they are underestimating us in a few areas. They gave J. Moore some respect but discount him as a running back and seem to think they'll shut down our running game. That COULD happen. They do have an excellent D returning. They failed to account for Upshaw's return, which is not a huge surprise since he didn't play last year and isn't on their radar.

You watched most of the Tennessee game and the entirety of the Miami game, correct?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 2:33 pm

ericsaid wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:I thought they did a more thorough job analyzing the game than most of our power opponents. We got some respect, but I like to believe they are underestimating us in a few areas. They gave J. Moore some respect but discount him as a running back and seem to think they'll shut down our running game. That COULD happen. They do have an excellent D returning. They failed to account for Upshaw's return, which is not a huge surprise since he didn't play last year and isn't on their radar.

You watched most of the Tennessee game and the entirety of the Miami game, correct?
Yes, I know exactly why they (and others) believe our passing attack is lacking. Many on here probably agree with them. I just don't happen to believe that last year is destined to repeat itself. If you watched the second half of the 2015, you saw a more balanced attack. We had a deep pool of WR talent which was NOT there in 2016. I think our young WR corp will be improved this season. I also think EVERYBODY watched the Tennessee and Miami games last year, so we will see a loaded box often, so I am HOPEFUL that we will use play action passes as well as more vertical attacks to deal with that. I just don't think we have to be throwing it 30+ yards at a time to accomplish that.

S.Lewis15

Unread post by S.Lewis15 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:08 pm

I'll believe we can throw the ball against a P5 defense when I see it. Lamb is a great QB, but to win against UGA, were going to have to play keep-away and run the clock down like we did against TN. Our defense is good, but they're gonna have to defend the deep ball much better than they have against any strong passing team we've played against in the past few years.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:21 pm

S.Lewis15 wrote:I'll believe we can throw the ball against a P5 defense when I see it. Lamb is a great QB, but to win against UGA, were going to have to play keep-away and run the clock down like we did against TN. Our defense is good, but they're gonna have to defend the deep ball much better than they have against any strong passing team we've played against in the past few years.
No argument with anything you said. I'm just hopeful we can throw against their D or we could have a very long day. There are a lot of "ifs" in our hopes for a win. UGA has a strong D but their strength is concentrated in the front 7. The secondary is good but probably more vulnerable than the front 7. I understand that Lamb tends to float the long ball, but he has a decent short and medium game. I just think we'll see more play action and medium range passes than we saw last year. He doesn't need to throw 30 yards downfield, but we do need to hit those 10, 15 and 20 yarders. I completely agree that we need to manage the clock, which I've said in previous posts. That was part of our strategy last season and I don't expect it to change.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:14 pm

Game Plan is simple: Run, Short passes + long drives= eating up the clock= rested Defense.

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Tue Jun 13, 2017 10:47 pm

MDaniels84 wrote:
sixtoes9134 wrote:I look for Mock Adams to really be a threat this year and I also forgot until I recently looked at roster that we get Letman back. For some reason I had it in my head he graduated. But, I think those two will be a great complement to Meadors. Probably see more Darrynton there too.
We also have TJ Watkins coming back and by all accounts, Jalen Virgil should get some significant snaps as a redshirt freshman as well. I like our depth at WR.
Yeah I think Jalen Virgil is the wildcard in this game. He's by far the RS freshman I'm most excited for with his speed/size combo. I could see him running a quick slant and taking it to the house a la Dexter Jackson in the big house.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”