Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

UGA Talks Appalachian State

AtlAppMan
School: Appalachian State

Re: UGA Talks Appalachian State

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:55 am

Here is a good question.

We rarely see our defense play press coverage on opposing teams. We expect any good P5 and better G5s to play press coverage against us. Are we capable of effectively prepping our offense in practice to play against press?

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:38 pm

Yosef84 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:I thought they did a more thorough job analyzing the game than most of our power opponents. We got some respect, but I like to believe they are underestimating us in a few areas. They gave J. Moore some respect but discount him as a running back and seem to think they'll shut down our running game. That COULD happen. They do have an excellent D returning. They failed to account for Upshaw's return, which is not a huge surprise since he didn't play last year and isn't on their radar.

I also think they underestimate our passing game. I know Lamb doesn't have a great arm down field but he is very reliable in shorter passes and uses play action really well. I also think our passing was limited last year because of the inexperience at WR. We will be faster and more experienced this year and I don't think Meadors will be our only down field target. Last year he was and wound up being a decoy more than anything. We also used the shorter passes and runs to control the clock, which isn't a bad approach.

I think our pass/run attacks will be more balanced this year, or at least I hope it will be. If we can't throw the ball on UGA, it's going to be a long day. I think we can.
You watched most of the Tennessee game and the entirety of the Miami game, correct?
Yes, I know exactly why they (and others) believe our passing attack is lacking. Many on here probably agree with them. I just don't happen to believe that last year is destined to repeat itself. If you watched the second half of the 2015, you saw a more balanced attack. We had a deep pool of WR talent which was NOT there in 2016. I think our young WR corp will be improved this season. I also think EVERYBODY watched the Tennessee and Miami games last year, so we will see a loaded box often, so I am HOPEFUL that we will use play action passes as well as more vertical attacks to deal with that. I just don't think we have to be throwing it 30+ yards at a time to accomplish that.
Like TN they will have much stronger/physical backs than what we normally play against. If our guys get jammed at the line or can't hang on to balls over the middle it won't matter how accurate Lamb is at those "shorter passes." This has been the problem in the past against P5s. I'm with SLewis, I'll believe we can have sustained passing success, even short yardage, against a P5 when I see it. We will hopefully be creative in the running game like at TN and hopefully that will open up some windows for us, but the receivers, stating the obvious, will have to do their part-- get open and hang on after contact.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:51 pm

They were harsh on Taylor but they aren't exactly wrong about his lack of arm strength. Taylor is a good QB. He's not going to jump off the page as a runner or a passer but he's serviceable in both categories. Does anybody know -- what do we have in some of our underclassmen QBs as far as arm strength?
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:47 pm

MtnMan09 wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:
ericsaid wrote:
Yosef84 wrote:I thought they did a more thorough job analyzing the game than most of our power opponents. We got some respect, but I like to believe they are underestimating us in a few areas. They gave J. Moore some respect but discount him as a running back and seem to think they'll shut down our running game. That COULD happen. They do have an excellent D returning. They failed to account for Upshaw's return, which is not a huge surprise since he didn't play last year and isn't on their radar.

I also think they underestimate our passing game. I know Lamb doesn't have a great arm down field but he is very reliable in shorter passes and uses play action really well. I also think our passing was limited last year because of the inexperience at WR. We will be faster and more experienced this year and I don't think Meadors will be our only down field target. Last year he was and wound up being a decoy more than anything. We also used the shorter passes and runs to control the clock, which isn't a bad approach.

I think our pass/run attacks will be more balanced this year, or at least I hope it will be. If we can't throw the ball on UGA, it's going to be a long day. I think we can.
You watched most of the Tennessee game and the entirety of the Miami game, correct?
Yes, I know exactly why they (and others) believe our passing attack is lacking. Many on here probably agree with them. I just don't happen to believe that last year is destined to repeat itself. If you watched the second half of the 2015, you saw a more balanced attack. We had a deep pool of WR talent which was NOT there in 2016. I think our young WR corp will be improved this season. I also think EVERYBODY watched the Tennessee and Miami games last year, so we will see a loaded box often, so I am HOPEFUL that we will use play action passes as well as more vertical attacks to deal with that. I just don't think we have to be throwing it 30+ yards at a time to accomplish that.
Like TN they will have much stronger/physical backs than what we normally play against. If our guys get jammed at the line or can't hang on to balls over the middle it won't matter how accurate Lamb is at those "shorter passes." This has been the problem in the past against P5s. I'm with SLewis, I'll believe we can have sustained passing success, even short yardage, against a P5 when I see it. We will hopefully be creative in the running game like at TN and hopefully that will open up some windows for us, but the receivers, stating the obvious, will have to do their part-- get open and hang on after contact.
There were quite a few passes against Miami that went through receivers hands at inopportune times; many of which had room to run after the catch. Against Tennessee, the goal was to run the ball to avoid Sutton and Barnett. I personally don't feel that App's offense is to the level, nor designed, to compete well against top tier teams. If there was a quarterback with the arm strength of a Jamal Jackson or Armanti Edwards I may be convinced App has a shot to throw the ball well.

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Wed Jun 14, 2017 4:56 pm

APPdiesel wrote:They were harsh on Taylor but they aren't exactly wrong about his lack of arm strength. Taylor is a good QB. He's not going to jump off the page as a runner or a passer but he's serviceable in both categories. Does anybody know -- what do we have in some of our underclassmen QBs as far as arm strength?
Based on highlights from high school players on the roster, Huesman has the strongest and most effortless motion with the tightest spiral. He isn't the most mobile QB and would almost necessitate a return to a more traditional style of offense.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:15 pm

Another thing these guys suggested or predicted however you want to interpret it is UGA may send 4 vertical receivers thus attempting to flood our pass coverage. We better darn well be ready for that attack pattern. I don't want to see our defense looking wide eyed if they start hitting us repeatedly with those plays.

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:28 am

AtlAppMan wrote:Another thing these guys suggested or predicted however you want to interpret it is UGA may send 4 vertical receivers thus attempting to flood our pass coverage. We better darn well be ready for that attack pattern. I don't want to see our defense looking wide eyed if they start hitting us repeatedly with those plays.
Most of my family graduated from UGA so I grew up watching Georgia football and still watch quite a bit. All I can say is that, if they don't have a better OL than last year and try to send 4 receivers out, we will have a field day with sacks. As I pointed out earlier, they did have a GREAT recruiting class of OLs, but they will be true freshmen and I'm sure they will mostly be red-shirted but Georgia lost both Offensive Tackles and their starting center from last year. I think their OL will be somewhat in disarray with this being the first game of the season.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:55 am

You can bet Lamb heard this so maybe he will come out as a man on a mission, gun-slinging and show he can extend the defense.

Seattleapp

Unread post by Seattleapp » Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:32 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:You can bet Lamb heard this so maybe he will come out as a man on a mission, gun-slinging and show he can extend the defense.

Ummmmm yeah right. When has he ever done that?

Yosef84

Unread post by Yosef84 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:01 am

Nobody is saying that we are about to become a passing oriented offense. We will absolutely remain a run-first offense with our current personnel, which is absolutely as it should be. All we have to do is connect on enough passes to make the Georgia D defend. They really give Lamb zero credit as a passer and I think that is underestimating him (and our team). I absolutely believe he is capable of doing that, especially if the WR corps takes a step forward as I believe (hope) they will this year.

Instead of looking for us to "consistently" throw the ball against a P5 Defense we really just need to pass the ball enough to keep them honest. If we can't do that, it's going to be a long day, but I believe we can. It's fine for some to disagree. That's why they play the game.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 20, 2017 9:20 am

Until we see how our pass protection is holding up i'd be throwing short passes, wheel routes,screens.... just enough to keep 'em honest with our run game. spread the "d" out. I assume we learned our lesson at Clemson 2 years ago.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 5:47 pm

What about some bubble passes? Out there where I used to call the flats. First one side then the Other? I thought I was going to have a stroke at Miami

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Jun 20, 2017 8:50 pm

1ASU78 wrote:What about some bubble passes? Out there where I used to call the flats. First one side then the Other? I thought I was going to have a stroke at Miami
You mean at Kidd Brewer against Miami?

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:08 pm

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:48 pm

Another not so bad assessment. Thanks for posting!

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 1:29 pm

https://dawnofthedawg.com/2017/07/29/ge ... ian-state/

"They earned the reputation of being one of the best small school teams in America, and one day they’re going to be in a conference like the SEC, ACC or American."

I like it.

"But because of that reputation, they have to deal with the fact that everyone they that play is going to take them as serious as if they were a conference opponent."

I like that too. If we are going to be the best we have to learn how to take everybody's best shot too.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Jul 31, 2017 2:30 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:https://dawnofthedawg.com/2017/07/29/ge ... ian-state/

"They earned the reputation of being one of the best small school teams in America, and one day they’re going to be in a conference like the SEC, ACC or American."

I like it.

"But because of that reputation, they have to deal with the fact that everyone they that play is going to take them as serious as if they were a conference opponent."

I like that too. If we are going to be the best we have to learn how to take everybody's best shot too.
I read that the other day. Passively, they're making excuses for a possible loss - even though the words of the article claim almost certain victory for thuga.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:56 pm

"Marcus Cox is gone and no other App runner has his explosiveness....." Someone doesnt know what they are talking about.......

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Mon Jul 31, 2017 4:30 pm

Cox had a better eye on feeling how the holes in the line were developing (in previous games). But Moore was definitely improving as the season progressed and he got more playing time in real games. However Moore has another gear than Cox does on the high end.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jul 31, 2017 8:34 pm

Moore is as good or better led the team in rushing and we agree is faster. The disservice P5 teams give is the arrogance to not do indepth research and review of. G5 team...instead we get a pat on the head. I'm waiting for them to disrespect all our players from Georgia next...ever so subtly.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”