Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Name everyone in this picture

huskie3
School: Appalachian State

Re: Name everyone in this picture

Unread post by huskie3 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:02 am

It would be interesting watching Lamm trying to handle Hand or Hackett one- on- one. I bet on a stalemate in the QB's face.
Bring Your A Game!

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:15 am

huskie3 wrote:It would be interesting watching Lamm trying to handle Hand or Hackett one- on- one. I bet on a stalemate in the QB's face.
Kendall and I had a nice chat about his getting to block Julius Peppers in Green Bay last year. Growing up in Charlotte when Peppers played there made the chance to block against him pretty special. He said that the weather at Lambeau that day reminded him of Boone. :D

I definitely felt like a munchkin standing there talking with him! Kendall is well-spoken and gracious - solid proof that consequences for behavior combined with second chances make good sense. He acknowledged as much as we spoke of his time at App. I'm thankful to have been part of his scholarship through Yosef.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:37 pm

Alex Gray

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:52 pm

Rekdiver wrote:to reinforce giving people a second chance....what a fine representative Kendall Lamm has matured into. Glad to hear the event was such a success and to see the coaches Brown, Woods, Moore and Satt here who share responsible for our rise is awesome.

Glad Kendall's 2nd chance turned out well. Alan Atwater's didn't.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 1:56 pm

NewApp wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:
T-Dog wrote:From the Legends' Gala.

Front row (l-r) - Don Munson, Jerry Moore, Sparky Woods, Ben Sutton, Melissa Morrison-Howard, Steve Wilks, Bob Griese, Bob Kletcke
Second row (l-r) - Larry Hand, Bobby Cremins, Kendall Lamm, Scott Satterfield, Mack Brown
Back row (l-r) - Dino Hackett, Doug Middleton
Larry Hand is one of the all-time greats at ASU. He played in the NFL for over a decade (13 seasons) with the Detroit Lions. Has any other App lasted that long in the NFL?

I thought this from Wikipedia was interesting:

Hand was born in 1940 in Paterson, New Jersey, grew up in Butler, New Jersey, and attended Butler High School.[1][2] When he began high school, he was five feet, six inches tall, and weighed 135 pounds. He did not play varsity football until his senior year and, even then, was not a starter.[2][3] After graduating from high school, Hand took a job working as a mason in Butler.[2]
Now, that stuff is definitely from the "Way Back Machine."

Larry Hand is one of the all-time greats at ASU. He played in the NFL for over a decade (13 seasons) with the Detroit Lions. Has any other App lasted that long in the NFL?

Yes! Mark Royals leads App Alums with 15 years of longevity in the NFL. Hand follows with 13. Two, OL Larry Butler (who played for Coach Jim Brakefield) and OL Wayne Smith (who played for Coach Jerry Moore), had 12 year careers in the CFL.

Larry is one of just three former Mountaineers to be named NFL all-pro. John Settle and Dino Hackett are the others

Hand was born in 1940 in Paterson, New Jersey, grew up in Butler, New Jersey, and attended Butler High School.[1][2] When he began high school, he was five feet, six inches tall, and weighed 135 pounds. He did not play varsity football until his senior year and, even then, was not a starter.[2][3] After graduating from high school, Hand took a job working as a mason in Butler.

This is essentially true. Larry was a year younger and smaller than most in his high school class; and was a late bloomer. He grew "like a weed" doing construction work and was 6'4" by the time he arrived on campus. He was a soph when I enrolled in '62. I moved to first floor Newland as a third qtr soph--two doors down from Larry. He was easily 250 then. We had a lot of athletes from Jersey in those days and many of them were excellent students. Larry earned a business degree in three years and was a graduate student at the time he was selected in the NFL and AFL draft. He signed a hefty (for those days) bonus contract with the Lions. One of the perks he received was a slick, new, '64 *Lions Blue* T-Bird. He was quite the BMOC, but not in a negative sense. He was popular, but humble, approachable, intelligent and articulate.

Larry's successes, as a player and as a broker for Wells-Fargo Advisors, haven't changed him. He's still a Proud Mountaineer.
Last edited by asu66 on Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

TheMoody1

Unread post by TheMoody1 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:07 pm

"Larry Hand is one of the all-time greats at ASU. He played in the NFL for over a decade (13 seasons) with the Detroit Lions. Has any other App lasted that long in the NFL?

No! Larry remains alone among App alums with that longevity in the NFL. Two, OL Larry Butler (who played for Coach Jim Brakefield) and OL Wayne Smith ( who played for Coach Jetty Moore), had 12 year careers in the CFL."

I believe Mark Royals played in the NFL for 15 seasons.

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:17 pm

John Settle was All-Pro one year if I remember correctly

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:27 pm

eggers76 wrote:John Settle was All-Pro one year if I remember correctly

:oops: My bad. '88 season!

eggers76

Unread post by eggers76 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:42 pm

No problem, I had to look it up. My memory ain't what it used to be and it was never as good as yours.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:44 pm

asu66 wrote:
NewApp wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Front row (l-r) - Don Munson, Jerry Moore, Sparky Woods, Ben Sutton, Melissa Morrison-Howard, Steve Wilks, Bob Griese, Bob Kletcke
Second row (l-r) - Larry Hand, Bobby Cremins, Kendall Lamm, Scott Satterfield, Mack Brown

Hand was born in 1940 in Paterson, New Jersey, grew up in Butler, New Jersey, and attended Butler High School.[1][2] When he began high school, he was five feet, six inches tall, and weighed 135 pounds. He did not play varsity football until his senior year and, even then, was not a starter.[2][3] After graduating from high school, Hand took a job working as a mason in Butler.[2]
Now, that stuff is definitely from the "Way Back Machine."

No! Larry remains alone among App alums with that longevity in the NFL. Two, OL Larry Butler (who played for Coach Jim Brakefield) and OL Wayne Smith ( who played for Coach Jetty Moore), had 12 year careers in the CFL.

Larry is one of just two former Mountaineers to be named NFL all-pro. Dino Hackett is the other.

Hand was born in 1940 in Paterson, New Jersey, grew up in Butler, New Jersey, and attended Butler High School.[1][2] When he began high school, he was five feet, six inches tall, and weighed 135 pounds. He did not play varsity football until his senior year and, even then, was not a starter.[2][3] After graduating from high school, Hand took a job working as a mason in Butler.

This is essentially true. Larry was a year younger and smaller than most in his high school class; and was a late bloomer. He grew "like a weed" doing construction work and was 6'4" by the time he arrived on campus. He was a soph when I enrolled in '62. I moved to first floor Newland as a third qtr soph--two doors down from Larry. He was easily 250 then. We had a lot of athletes from Jersey in those days and many of them were excellent students. Larry earned a business degree in three years and was a graduate student at the time he was selected in the NFL and AFL draft. He signed a hefty (for those days) bonus contract with the Lions. One of the perks he received was a slick, new, '64 *Lions Blue* T-Bird. He was quite the BMOC, but not in a negative sense. He was popular, but humble, approachable, intelligent and articulate.

Larry's successes, as a player and as a broker for Wells-Fargo Advisors, havn't changed him. He's still a Proud Mountaineer.

Yeah, I remember the Jersey recruits as well as the PA boys. One was good friend of mine, John Maloney who was a high school All_American and was destined for stardom but got involved with a rock band in his spare time and couldn't keep up his grades. He left during his junior year for a teaching job in a private school in Maine. He was married to a runner up Miss North Carolina.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:49 pm

asu66 wrote:
eggers76 wrote:John Settle was All-Pro one year if I remember correctly

:oops: My bad. '88 season!
The first undrafted rookie to make All-Pro, I believe, and the first undrafted rookie to rush for 1,000 yds.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:51 pm

TheMoody1 wrote:"Larry Hand is one of the all-time greats at ASU. He played in the NFL for over a decade (13 seasons) with the Detroit Lions. Has any other App lasted that long in the NFL?

No! Larry remains alone among App alums with that longevity in the NFL. Two, OL Larry Butler (who played for Coach Jim Brakefield) and OL Wayne Smith ( who played for Coach Jetty Moore), had 12 year careers in the CFL."

I believe Mark Royals played in the NFL for 15 seasons.

Didn't Larry Butler play briefly for the GB Packers?

Woops on edit: Larry Butler (born July 10, 1952) is a former professional American football and Canadian football offensive lineman who played two season in the World Football League (WFL)for the 1974 New York Stars and 1975 Charlotte Hornets [1] and six seasons in the Canadian Football League (CFL) for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats[2] and the Winnipeg Blue Bombers.[3] Butler attended Science Hill High School in Johnson City, Tennessee [4] where he is a member of the Science Hill Sports Hall of Fame. He played college football at Appalachian State University where he was elected to the Athletics Hall of Fame in 1997. He won the CFL's Most Outstanding Offensive Lineman Award in 1981.
Last edited by NewApp on Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Google SUX

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:03 pm

NewApp wrote:Yeah, I remember the Jersey recruits as well as the PA boys. One was good friend of mine, John Maloney who was a high school All_American and was destined for stardom but got involved with a rock band in his spare time and couldn't keep up his grades. He left during his junior year for a teaching job in a private school in Maine. He was married to a runner up Miss North Carolina.
I know the Maloneys. John's wife, Mary Nell, comes from a prominent Wilkes Co. family. They've moved around over the years, so this may not be exactly up to date. Last I heard from them, they were living at Pawley's Island. It's been a while...

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:16 pm

eggers76 wrote:No problem, I had to look it up. My memory ain't what it used to be and it was never as good as yours.
You're being kind and I 'preciate it but...whatever I had fades in and out. :?

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:42 pm

asu66 wrote:
NewApp wrote:Yeah, I remember the Jersey recruits as well as the PA boys. One was good friend of mine, John Maloney who was a high school All_American and was destined for stardom but got involved with a rock band in his spare time and couldn't keep up his grades. He left during his junior year for a teaching job in a private school in Maine. He was married to a runner up Miss North Carolina.
I know the Maloneys. John's wife, Mary Nell, comes from a prominent Wilkes Co. family. They've moved around over the years, so this may not be exactly up to date. Last I heard from them, they were living at Pawley's Island. It's been a while...
That's John's second wife. His first wife was Martha Long from West Jefferson. Beautiful blonde. Killer smile.

Another interesting fact, John worked on the high steel while he was on academic suspension , building one of the ASU dorms. I mean way high up. Too, we worked together during the Christmas holidays at a tobacco warehouse. I don't smoke but that curing Tennessee Burley sure did smell good.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:19 pm

NewApp wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Its rare Daphne misses the answer: Mark Royals 1987-2003.....

DaphneUrquhart

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:42 am

Rekdiver wrote:
NewApp wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Wait a minute, Rekdiver. I got all the names right. The goof on Larry Hand's NFL tenure was NewApp's. :D
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:11 am

DaphneUrquhart wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:
NewApp wrote:
DaphneUrquhart wrote:

Wait a minute, Rekdiver. I got all the names right. The goof on Larry Hand's NFL tenure was NewApp's. :D
I didn't make a mistake. I just had forgotten about Royals, so had most of the board. I should have said "at the time" in regard to his ( Hand) longevity.
Google SUX

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:04 am

i've seen all these guys play..........Remembering the MNF game when Cosell said "Larry Hand from lowly Appalaychian State....."

appfan83

Unread post by appfan83 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:26 am

Sorry guys and gals, But can someone refresh my feeble mind on Don Munson, Ben Sutton and Bob Kletche. Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”