Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

ESPN730 to broadcast App St FB and Hoops

NewApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: ESPN730 to broadcast App St FB and Hoops

Unread post by NewApp » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:45 am

JTApps1 wrote:
Nugget49 wrote:
MAD Doctor wrote:Heard this today. The announcers seemed genuinely excited about all things APP, and paid our university some very high compliments. They also interviewed DJ. I plan to begin listening to them more, as opposed to WFNZ, which has become a UNC-CHeat- Duke love fest 24/7/365. Tough week for an unnamed school near Concord, as Tom Sorenson at the disturber wrote a column about their BBall program not working, and now their radio home drops them to welcome us.
Hey QC, WE ARE APP STATE! :D
It looks like the App experiment is over and ESPN 730 has picked Charlotte back up for Football, Men's BBall, some Women's BBall, and a few Baseball games. Don't change that preset in your car, because this is where you can find our game next year. ;)
Thats ok. We signed on with 2 new stations in the Charlotte area a month or so ago for better coverage. Many of our fans complained the signal from 730 wasn't reaching many areas in the Charlotte market.

What are the call letters and frequencies of the two new stations? Are either or both of the two FM station? Doesn't matter to me that much because I get WKBC clear as a bell on my Grundig.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:42 pm

appmaj wrote:What will 610 carry now?
I think we all know that it does not matter what they carry, they will only talk about the ACC all day, every day.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:00 pm

Nugget49 wrote:It looks like the App experiment is over and ESPN 730 has collected a check from Charlotte to air Football, Men's BBall, some Women's BBall, and a few Baseball games. Don't change that preset in your car, because this is where you can find our game next year. ;)
FIFY

Good luck selling ads!
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:12 pm

This brings up an interesting topic: why isn't AM Radio dead?

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:38 pm

"The App experiment"

Speaking of experiments.... UNCC Football, how exactly is that going?

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Mon Jul 17, 2017 3:43 pm

Did he really necro a thread from 2014 on another fanbase's message board just for a weak attempt at a one-up?

I suppose that's the best you can do when your all-time record is 16–30 (.348).

Saint3333

Unread post by Saint3333 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:21 pm

Nugget49 wrote:
appmaj wrote:What will 610 carry now?
I think we all know that it does not matter what they carry, they will only talk about the ACC all day, every day.
The Charlotte Sports market is

Panthers

ACC basketball
SEC Football
ACC Football

Hornets
SEC Basketball

ECU/App/UNCC

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:34 pm

NoLongerLurking wrote:This brings up an interesting topic: why isn't AM Radio dead?
I would love to talk to an ad person and find out costs of running an ad on a run of the mill AM dial playing oldies. I can't imagine it is that much in markets with strong and robust FM stations or a dominant AM station like WSJS in W-S or WBT in Charlotte.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Tue Jul 18, 2017 4:50 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:This brings up an interesting topic: why isn't AM Radio dead?
I would love to talk to an ad person and find out costs of running an ad on a run of the mill AM dial playing oldies. I can't imagine it is that much in markets with strong and robust FM stations or a dominant AM station like WSJS in W-S or WBT in Charlotte.
Most AM stations are talk radio now. Very little music.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:47 pm

NewApp wrote:
McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:
Most AM stations are talk radio now. Very little music.
Which is why I would like to know what an ad costs. I can't imagine any given radio station on the AM dial that is just programming a general audience easy listening sounds from the 60s and 70s is drawing much of an audience at any given time, yet they are paying the bills enough to stay on the air.

WKSK in West Jefferson plays country and transmits at 5000 W during the day according to radio-locator.com.

Quick back of the envelope calculation would be 10 cent per kWH based on BREMCO residential rate. 365 days*12 hours/day*60 min/hour*60 sec/min would be 15,768,000 seconds of daytime operation. 5000 W* 15,768,000 seconds would be
78,840,000,000 Joules. Divide this by 3,600,000 J/kWH and the stations is needing 21900 kwH of electricity to operate during the daytime. At 10 cent a kWH that would be $2190 a year.

Night time is 34 W broadcasting or $149 per year. Total cost is $2338.92 for the year. Sell $7 in ads a day to cover this cost. Of course this does not include other electrical needs to run the office/building, wages.

Maybe 10 people work at a station like this (I have no idea really) averaging 30,000 a year in wages. Lets say $500,000 for wages, benefits, payroll taxes and such. The station needs to sell $1370 in ads for this part of the cost each day. Add both costs up and say $1400 in revenue to offset depreciation and such even

Lets average 8 30-second ad spots an hour or 192 ads a day. $1400/192 is $7.30 for a 30 second ad spot. Of course for a station like WKSK they may be off the air at night and they would have a larger audience at certain times of the day.

This is doable I guess. Now to find out what they charge for an ad.

But if some of my numbers are reasonable then once the equipment is purchased it should be rather possible to get the bills paid.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:04 pm

I doubt more than three to five people work at these stations full time. Two in ad sales, a secretary and one or two on-air - many of whom double as station managers or even the owners. But as you said, there are a number of other expenses, including automation, rights, licenses, rent (mortgage) for the studio and the land at the tower if it's offsite. Then there's tower maintenance...etc.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:24 pm

I was thinking 5 or 6 in most cases but figured 10 would certainly be enough, and I wanted to go high in my guessing. Using your numbers means the cost could be around $4-5 for a 30 second spot I guess.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Jul 18, 2017 7:39 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I was thinking 5 or 6 in most cases but figured 10 would certainly be enough, and I wanted to go high in my guessing. Using your numbers means the cost could be around $4-5 for a 30 second spot I guess.
I'm not sure they sell single spots. It's all about repetition. Maybe weekly/monthly for a :30 spot that wil get five airs during the day - run of the station (placed where the station wants to put them). It's been a while, but I know the radio station where I've done work from time to time will sell packages for local sports. $500 for high school football for the season...etc. But you're probably not far off for small market stations pushing under 10,000 watts.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:47 pm

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 am

Some of the am stations also are broadcasting the same simultaneous programming and ads on FM.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:06 am

And I just looked an the AM station I picked does indeed have an FM that appears to simulcast in Jefferson and not West Jefferson.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 am

All this discussion of AM radio seems to have sent the Charlotte fan away. ;)

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:55 am

Well I'm in Charlotte and I dont listen to the football games....cause im at all of the home games and watch most of the away games on ESPN3.
Hoops....some games on 3

appmaj

Unread post by appmaj » Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:05 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:All this discussion of AM radio seems to have sent the Charlotte fan away. ;)

I think he thought he had some bragging rights based on the second best sports related station in Charlotte :roll:

Nugget49
School: Charlotte

Unread post by Nugget49 » Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:56 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:All this discussion of AM radio seems to have sent the Charlotte fan away. ;)
I know it is off-season, but there are limits to how much AM radio I can discuss.
appmaj wrote: I think he thought he had some bragging rights based on the second best sports related station in Charlotte :roll:
We left # 2 to go to #1 three years ago and as anyone in the Charlotte market can tell you, #1 talks about the Panthers, dem Heels, and the Hornets in that order. There are big advantages to not being with them. It really doesn't matter to me because the only thing I listen to are the post-game shows. As long as I can stream via the internet the signal is irrelevant. Thanks Al Gore!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”