Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Fall Practice

JROCK98

Fall Practice

Unread post by JROCK98 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:05 pm

While its a little slow and with fall practice set to start next week what is everyone's biggest questions/concerns/expectations that you want to see play out?
1) The biggest for me is finding and adding quality depth at LB. We seem to be super thin at this position especially with Fuller now off the roster.
2) Need to add some depth at the CB position with Hayes out for now and not knowing the timeline if or when he will be back. We seem to be ok at the safety position.
3) Will the WR group be more consistent and will some guys step up to be that 2nd, 3rd and 4th option behind Meadors?? Again not knowing if Lewis will be back hurts because he was probably the next guy with the most game experience. Evans switching over to WR should also be a big plus.
4) Who takes the challenge to become the backup at QB and RB??
5) What true or redshirt freshmen comes in and helps right away?? In the same sense as Evans last year I could see Malik Williams get some early playing time. Also possibly one of the DBs or LBs

EastHallApp
School: Appalachian State

Re: Fall Practice

Unread post by EastHallApp » Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:22 pm

I was going to try and add something insightful but you mostly covered my list. :-)

I'd add finding a starting C and seeing how ready the young NTs are to play behind Stout.

I think we're pretty well covered on #2 RB in Upshaw, but I am interested to see who earns the next spot (I think we'll play at least three).

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:29 pm

You covered my question. WR

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:15 pm

WR is my biggest concern with NT second. We usually seem to produce LB so I am not that worried there even though we lost a lot.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:45 pm

Is there any reasonable expectation that one of the WR's could stand out from the crowd even rise above Meadors?

Same for any of the other needy positions. Does anyone feel there could be somebody either on depth chart or incoming freshman/transfer at any position (LB, CB, DB, linemen) that could really step up and wow this year that has not really been on the eminent radar from last year?

Makes for some great pre-camp discussions.

sixtoes9134

Unread post by sixtoes9134 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:48 pm

I think the WRs will take it up a notch or two this year. That OL grad trsf from Kent State helps a bunch on the OL. The biggest area for me is NT, we have been really lucky with a deep rotation there for the last 2 seasons and in the 3-4 you really need 3 NT's with no drop off.
Last edited by sixtoes9134 on Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JROCK98

Unread post by JROCK98 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:36 pm

AtlAppMan wrote:Is there any reasonable expectation that one of the WR's could stand out from the crowd even rise above Meadors?

Same for any of the other needy positions. Does anyone feel there could be somebody either on depth chart or incoming freshman/transfer at any position (LB, CB, DB, linemen) that could really step up and wow this year that has not really been on the eminent radar from last year?

Makes for some great pre-camp discussions.
I'm curious to see John "Bear" Hunter on the DL. I remember several people mention that he was a force on the scout team last year so I was surprised to see he wasn't on the 2 deep after spring practice. Maybe Moose has some insight on the players to keep an eye on that may be under the radar right now??

ashugh

Unread post by ashugh » Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:55 pm

Center, then Center and add Center for me. This O line really needs to stay healthy. It would probably be greedy to ask for the same run we had last year with O line health, but just color me greedy. We need to get some young guys playing time in some of our OOC games early (obviously, hopefully not against UGA and Wake).

I think this receiving group has the potential to be elite. It was an embarrassment of riches last year, and still is to some extent. The coaches have to find the 4 or 5 that can get into a good rotation and zero in on them before week one. We tried the platoon thing last year and no one was able to really step up other than Meadors, to a limited degree. Meadors, Adams, Virgil, Evans and for goodness sake, get back to the tightend in the red zone. WTH happened to our tightend in the red zone?

Safety and NT on the D have my attention. It's the lack of game experienced depth at both that concerns me.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:23 pm

Neuzil is in line to play center.

TheArmantiShow

Unread post by TheArmantiShow » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:02 pm

How come Fuller isn't on the roster?

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Jul 26, 2017 8:11 pm

My main concern is how ready can we get our number 2 QB.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

JMappfan5

Unread post by JMappfan5 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:00 am

We know who our starters will be on OL...big need is to build quality depth. Who will play opposite Duck at CB...Pinckney? At WR, I think true freshmen Hennigan and Henry may play a lot early. I'm also excited to see Virgil and what he may add to our downfield passing game. Also getting anxious to see who steps up and claims back-up role to Taylor!!! We have very good starters and some quality young guys that are hopefully ready to fill-in for those we lost. GO APPS!!!

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:17 am

While some folks have bashed Taylor for his "weak" arm and so on, I think that we should definitely attribute some of our success over the last 4 years to his growth on the field. Say what you will, but he has thrown deep and accurate on occasion (as called for by the coaching staff) and has definitely honed his skills throwing back shoulder to throw guys open. The qb battle will definitely be an interesting. I am hopeful that we can get a couple of candidates in games for at least a quarter during the season. I would like to see Jacob Huesman and Zac Thomas get some quality pt as allowed just so that we have some continuity moving toward 2018.
I just get the feeling that our line play is going to be strong on both sides of the ball and that we will get some surprises like Jermaine McDaniel and Jordan Fehr on defense (if they don't shirt) along with some redshirt guys who are chomping at the bit like Baer Hunter , Elijah Disaroubba (sp?), and Chris Willis. I am not worried about drop off in production on defense with the collection of guys that NW has to work with.
On offense, I think that we will once again be run strong and pleasantly surprised by our receiver group. I don't remember having multiple targets over 6'2 like Shae, Mock, Jalen, TJ, and Zy along with some good possession types like Dante Jones, Brad Absher, Darrynton, and others. I can't wait for GEORGIA. I think that this bunch will be a pleasant surprise even with preseason accolades. 8-)

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:40 am

JMappfan5 wrote:We know who our starters will be on OL...big need is to build quality depth. Who will play opposite Duck at CB...Pinckney? At WR, I think true freshmen Hennigan and Henry may play a lot early. I'm also excited to see Virgil and what he may add to our downfield passing game. Also getting anxious to see who steps up and claims back-up role to Taylor!!! We have very good starters and some quality young guys that are hopefully ready to fill-in for those we lost. GO APPS!!!
I agree with you on all points, except I don't think we quite know who all five OL starters will be. I do think C is still up for grabs. Most likely we have three guys (TEC, Neuzil, Macauley) competing for two spots. But of course it's always possible someone else steps up. I have read some speculation that Noah Hannon could even compete for a spot as a true freshman.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:14 am

EastHallApp wrote:
JMappfan5 wrote:We know who our starters will be on OL...big need is to build quality depth. Who will play opposite Duck at CB...Pinckney? At WR, I think true freshmen Hennigan and Henry may play a lot early. I'm also excited to see Virgil and what he may add to our downfield passing game. Also getting anxious to see who steps up and claims back-up role to Taylor!!! We have very good starters and some quality young guys that are hopefully ready to fill-in for those we lost. GO APPS!!!
I agree with you on all points, except I don't think we quite know who all five OL starters will be. I do think C is still up for grabs. Most likely we have three guys (TEC, Neuzil, Macauley) competing for two spots. But of course it's always possible someone else steps up. I have read some speculation that Noah Hannon could even compete for a spot as a true freshman.
Freshman center worked pretty well for Brett Irvin in 2007 (as Scott Suttle was hurt for Michigan game). :)

ASUGoose

Unread post by ASUGoose » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:59 am

I'm really interested in how the WR positions play out as it pertains to any true or redshirt freshmen stepping up. Year in and year out you always hear from our coaches on young WR's "who can we trust to catch the ball on a critical down or possession". We can have guys that are off the charts as far as clocked speed, size, or strength but if they can't catch the ball in those clutch situations it does us no good.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:47 pm

Appstate88 wrote:My main concern is how ready can we get our number 2 QB.
I agree. TL's ability to manage the game is entirely underrated.

appst1992

Unread post by appst1992 » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:07 pm

Obviously, I haven't seen the xfer from Kent State play, but I do remember reading that he played in a lot of games over his career there. Do you guys think Nunn could possibly be moved to G with the new guy at RT?

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:01 pm

ASUGoose wrote:I'm really interested in how the WR positions play out as it pertains to any true or redshirt freshmen stepping up. Year in and year out you always hear from our coaches on young WR's "who can we trust to catch the ball on a critical down or possession". We can have guys that are off the charts as far as clocked speed, size, or strength but if they can't catch the ball in those clutch situations it does us no good.
Satterfield said in NOLA that WR would be an offensive strength this season.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 10:55 pm

I would really like to see a WR like William Mayfield back in '05/'06. Many times I saw our QB's put the ball out there to Mayfield and he would make a play and then be unstoppable running the ball after reception. That is the type of receiver I would love to see emerge this year.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”