Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boone Restaurants

appstate2008

Re: Boone Restaurants

Unread post by appstate2008 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 10:04 pm

What to eat on a game day weekend:

1) Spiced Sirloin at Cafe Portofino
2) COBO Sushi

asu1978

Unread post by asu1978 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:06 am

I had heard that Ray's & Big E's had closed....Wait a minute...another senior moment :lol:

appbio91
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by appbio91 » Sun Aug 13, 2017 9:08 am

Rekdiver wrote:Went to the Publix yesterday for first time. Produce sucked. Beer selection meager. Fresh seafood not enough. Not impressed. Satisfied my curiosity. Back to HT for me.
Agree, Beer selection looked like Wal Mart.

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:29 pm

appbio91 wrote:
Rekdiver wrote:Went to the Publix yesterday for first time. Produce sucked. Beer selection meager. Fresh seafood not enough. Not impressed. Satisfied my curiosity. Back to HT for me.
Agree, Beer selection looked like Wal Mart.
The Boone Wal-Mart stocks AMB's Boone Creek Blonde so they'll get no complaints from me.

MtnMan09

Unread post by MtnMan09 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:54 am

NO.2 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
NO.2 wrote:
JGthatsme86 wrote:What's the story on Tank's Taco's closing after only as few months? I thought it was a cool place with pretty good food...was packed the few times I went, but that was on weekends. I see that owners of Red Onion & TaPP Room bought it.
It is going to be a Ramen bar named Gaijin.
I thought one ate ramen so he could afford to go to the bar.

My original post was going to say:

"For the rednecks and the old folks, there's a lot more to ramen than the 10 cent packs that got you through college."
I get that Ramen bars are a fad right now, just not sure if that space is where to put it. Bar food like Tacos seemed about right for that strip. This seems like something that would fare better on King or over by where Mtn Bagel is/was. What do I know though Im not in Boone full time. I know people have strong opinions one way or the other but I hate that Parthenon had to go. Cheap greasy greek food always took me right back to college.

With all the closings and new restaurants my crew ends up hitting the same eateries anyways: Portofino, Macadoos, Boone Bagelry, Black Cat. I We've been a couple times to that new pizza place/brewery off King but the name escapes me. Any place newer that we must try?

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:07 am

MtnMan09 wrote:
NO.2 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
NO.2 wrote:
JGthatsme86 wrote:What's the story on Tank's Taco's closing after only as few months? I thought it was a cool place with pretty good food...was packed the few times I went, but that was on weekends. I see that owners of Red Onion & TaPP Room bought it.

"For the rednecks and the old folks, there's a lot more to ramen than the 10 cent packs that got you through college."
I get that Ramen bars are a fad right now, just not sure if that space is where to put it. Bar food like Tacos seemed about right for that strip. This seems like something that would fare better on King or over by where Mtn Bagel is/was. What do I know though Im not in Boone full time. I know people have strong opinions one way or the other but I hate that Parthenon had to go. Cheap greasy greek food always took me right back to college.

With all the closings and new restaurants my crew ends up hitting the same eateries anyways: Portofino, Macadoos, Boone Bagelry, Black Cat. I We've been a couple times to that new pizza place/brewery off King but the name escapes me. Any place newer that we must try?
Lost Province is the pizza place that you're thinking of. Carolina Pizza recently opened in Capone's old spot on King, I haven't been yet but have heard great things. Saloon built a yuge deck and expanded this summer as well. They have a downstairs arcade with 20+ classic games that will be opening shortly.

I can agree with the point in bold but would counter by saying that they will also have steam buns on the menu which have a pretty good case for being the "Asian Taco."

The Cardinal, in the old Geno's building on 105, has the best burgers in town with a great beer selection and cocktail menu. They have ties to the Gamekeeper so you will find a wide variety, from a classic chili/slaw/mustard burger all the way to a 50/50 emu & chorizo, boar, duck, bison, rabbit sausage, etc. Nothing against Come Back, I love it, but if you're in the mood for something with a little less of a fast food feel (or just want a beer with your burger) then the Cardinal is the best choice.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:11 am

MtnMan09 wrote:
NO.2 wrote:
AppinVA wrote:
NO.2 wrote:

Coyote Kitchen and The Cardinal should be considered.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:27 am

Gaijin = foreigner in Japanese

Who/What are they referring to.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:35 am

appgrouch wrote:Gaijin = foreigner in Japanese

Themselves, it would seem.

Rekdiver

Unread post by Rekdiver » Thu Aug 17, 2017 11:18 am

NO.2 wrote:
appgrouch wrote:Gaijin = foreigner in Japanese

Themselves, it would seem.
It's not a particularly flattering term to describe non Japanese............Usually followed by a snear

biggie
Site Admin

Unread post by biggie » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Great now I have flashbacks to Tokyo Drift...

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:00 pm

I bet all the Tenkara fishermen will keep that place in business.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian General Discussion”