Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

New video board

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Re: New video board

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:20 pm

Bottom line - Kids want to play and WIN whatever sport it might be - locker room facilities, etc., would come into play but the asthetics of the particular stadium should be WAY down the list ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bcoach
School: Appalachian State

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:39 pm

bigdaddyg wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 2:10 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 1:21 pm
Please don't recruit anyone who complains about a soccer field in the middle of the track. In addition please don't recruit anyone who gets in a snit about a track around their football field. We should be recruiting players who have broken out of the middle school mentality. It is a privilege not given to many to play college sports. In my estimation it is a bigger privilege to play FOR not AT App State than a whole lot of places. If a track around your field or a field in the middle of your track is a deal buster than we lucked out. You didn't belong here.
I agree 100% bcoach. I have no inkling about soccer and or track recruiting- how many actual scholarships do we give out for each? Are we genuinely in fierce recruiting wars for these two sports? I would think that most kids who run track would love a full ride to any school as there can't be that many available. Same goes for soccer. I can't fathom an 18 year old turning us down because of the track and or field location.
As I re read this I was not clear. My opinion stands also for a football player who has a problem with a track around the football field. I am getting just a little tired of begging kids to be able to give them a great opportunity. I understand that "that's the way it is these days" but that does not prevent me from being sick of it.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:33 pm

Can someone post a picture of the 100% finished scoreboard and hill?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm

App State selling points:

* Outstanding fan support
* Championship tradition
* State of the art playing surface
* State of the art weight room
* State of the art press facility
* Not Statesboro
* Free sleds annually from Trivette Dining Hall

We've all seen/heard stories of college programs that actually do have decrepit locker room conditions...we do not have that problem. At our level our (current) facilities are not going to lose us anyone. We're not going up against the Clemsons and Texases of the world with slides and 45" flat screens showing that player's highlights over their locker. Many of our facilities are on pair or better than our peer institutions. But, I'm sure there are the situations where we're going head to head with (for example) a UAB. Maybe Kidd Brewer being nice and Legion field being a dump does come into play. I'm not saying leverage a huge amount of debt on buildings to impress 17 year olds but don't let facilities quality slip and tell the kids "you should just be happy to be here".
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:12 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm

* Championship tradition
* Not Statesboro

We've all seen/heard stories of college programs that actually do have decrepit locker room conditions...we do not have that problem. At our level our (current) facilities are not going to lose us anyone. We're not going up against the Clemsons and Texases of the world with slides and 45" flat screens showing that player's highlights over their locker. Many of our facilities are on pair or better than our peer institutions. But, I'm sure there are the situations where we're going head to head with (for example) a UAB. Maybe Kidd Brewer being nice and Legion field being a dump does come into play. I'm not saying leverage a huge amount of debt on buildings to impress 17 year olds but don't let facilities quality slip and tell the kids "you should just be happy to be here".
You know what sold App in the package about Michigan on Gameday? It wasn't (all) the story of the upset, rather it was that the segments were recorded in the locker room and meeting room. We can put that facility up against all the schools we usually recruit against, and even some we, on the surface, don't. That looked freaking impressive.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:18 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm

* Championship tradition
* Not Statesboro

Absolutely true and that is my point. We have not slipped we have fantastic facilities and anyone we let come should be happy to be here. I just think that anyone who thinks we have a recruiting problem over facilities has not been thru ours. I am perfectly confident that we will maintain a position that is equal to and much better than our peers. Have we had any complaints on the recruiting trail about our library?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:28 pm

I agree with most of your point bcoach, but I also think about the fact that very few of our recruits come from North Carolina and even fewer are legacies. Therefore a vast majority of our recruits have little to no intrinsic loyalty to Appalachian State University coming out of high school. They're all being recruited by more or less the same group of schools (how many times do we go head to head with Ga Southern, Charlotte, ECU, etc on multiple guys in the same year). Outside of the chance to play, win, and get to the NFL facilities *do* matter. You'd hope that those factors fall into each recruit's hierarchy in that order, but to suggest facilities aren't or shouldn't be a significant factor, is a little short sighted.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:41 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:28 pm
I agree with most of your point bcoach, but I also think about the fact that very few of our recruits come from North Carolina and even fewer are legacies. Therefore a vast majority of our recruits have little to no intrinsic loyalty to Appalachian State University coming out of high school. They're all being recruited by more or less the same group of schools (how many times do we go head to head with Ga Southern, Charlotte, ECU, etc on multiple guys in the same year). Outside of the chance to play, win, and get to the NFL facilities *do* matter. You'd hope that those factors fall into each recruit's hierarchy in that order, but to suggest facilities aren't or shouldn't be a significant factor, is a little short sighted.
We agree. My point is that we do have those facilities so if the ( the t word ) has any significance in them coming here we are probably looking at the wrong guy. Perfect example would be TL. Bet he never gave it a thought. Bet AE never noticed and the list goes on. I think we are on the same page. No?

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:47 pm

We are. I do understand the argument that it's an eyesore (mostly because we're one of the last in the country to have a track around our field) and that it's 1000000% an aesthetic preference argument, not something that legitimately limits the program or our fans' ability to see on gameday.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:01 pm

I think the track around the field "controversy" is and always has been much ado about nothing. App is a school that needs and has traditionally relied upon multi-purpose facilities. There's no shame in being better at using limited resources.

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:09 pm

I'm about to start a campaign of wanting the track. It makes us unique.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Facilities are very important - my point was aesthetics of a given stadium should not be of importance ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

bigdaddyg

Unread post by bigdaddyg » Tue Sep 05, 2017 7:59 pm

I thought the facility/recruiting arguments centered around track and soccer not football. Football writes the checks so we damn sure need to notch facilities. Not to diminish the other sports but having a top notch field and locker room, etc matters. Does a track and soccer field make THAT much difference??

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:33 pm
It's not finished.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am

NoLongerLurking wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 8:02 pm
ComebackShack wrote:
It's not finished.
Will it be done before Saturday @ 3.30?

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:21 am
NoLongerLurking wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
It's not finished.
I believe so. I was there last night and they were working at 10 pm. It's 98% done, so I'm not worried that it won't be complete by Saturday.

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 am

8993 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:37 am
ComebackShack wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
It's not finished.
I believe so. I was there last night and they were working at 10 pm. It's 98% done, so I'm not worried that it won't be complete by Saturday.
Thanks for the update! What is left to do? I am assuming the brick base?

Unread post by 8993 » Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 am

ComebackShack wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 9:44 am
8993 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
It's not finished.
The brick base was done from what I could tell last night. They were covering the speakers and putting up additional sponsors last night. They were also adding lights to the rear of the board.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:52 am

8993 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 am
ComebackShack wrote:
8993 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:
NoLongerLurking wrote:

It's not finished.
The brick base was done from what I could tell last night. They were covering the speakers and putting up additional sponsors last night. They were also adding lights to the rear of the board.

A few monitors mounted on the back would let all the folks standing on the loop by the bathrooms see the action. :D

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 3:25 pm

HighlandsApp wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 11:52 am
8993 wrote:
Wed Sep 06, 2017 10:18 am
ComebackShack wrote:
8993 wrote:
ComebackShack wrote:

A few monitors mounted on the back would let all the folks standing on the loop by the bathrooms see the action. :D
Put the old board on the back of he new board. Comparatively, it's about the size of a monitor.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”