Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

canes_mj
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by canes_mj » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:04 pm

YES please!!! It's embarrassing. Not only can it be heard on the East side as someone else said, but it comes across loud and clear on tv as well. Total bush league stuff.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:06 pm

S.Lewis15 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:53 am
It started in the world of Soccer. A few years ago MLS had to intervene to get fans to stop doing it on place kicks. I don't think it's that big of an issue as a lot of folks make it out to be, but I also am not a huge fan either. There are a lot more offensive chants in the world of sports.
Knowing they stole this from MLS makes me dislike it even more. A stupid, unoriginal chant that makes App look classless has to end.

There are kids in our section taking note and asking parents questions.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

iambhooper

Unread post by iambhooper » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm

You don't want to hurt their ability to express free speech, do you? Kinda like stopping antifa from spraying the tunnel while we are walking to a game!

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm

It will be stopped. Yes it is bad and embarrassing. However if you want to blame bad attendance on it you are reaching for an excuse.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:10 pm

I’ve got to be honest, I sit in 204 right behind the student section and was unaware of this practice until it was mentioned on this board. Maybe it can be heard better on the East side. I’ll have to watch the game replay to hear it. It it does have to stop.

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:12 pm

The origin of it doesn't make it more or less offensive. You would mind it less if it came from the NBA or MLB?

I heard it for the first time watching the replay yesterday.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm
It will be stopped. Yes it is bad and embarrassing. However if you want to blame bad attendance on it you are reaching for an excuse.
I'm not blaming bad attendance on it. Just saying it will make coming to games less appealing for some fans, with no real upside as a tradeoff.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:45 pm

Yeah if you're going to wear black and yellow and do that sort of crap, go to a Bruins game.

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm

Bugler’s Dream must be played on every kick-off by the marching mountaineers or a recording is used over the sound system if band is not in the stands. Everyone, I mean everyone, stands and points the direction our team is going. Everyone yells BOOOOM! As the kicker kicks the ball and then everyone yells GO, FIGHT, KICK ASS! while the ball is in the air. Simple and effective, not to mention tradition.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

app97

Unread post by app97 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:05 pm

if that's really happening, it's honestly sort of WCUish/Ga Southernish. I suppose our supposed increased academic standards don't necessarily correlate to increased class/impulse control.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Is it classy, mature or intelligent? No way. Will it prevent people from bringing their kids? Doubt it.
If you go to any sporting event, college or professional, you are bound to hear something much worse than this chant. You can’t control everything everyone else says. Unless you plan on never letting your kid out of the house and prohibit TV or internet of ever kind, they are going to hear something or see something you had rather them not.
That’s where parenting comes in. You have to teach them what is appropriate for them to say and explain that sometimes people do or say things they shouldn’t, and just because someone may say those things does not mean that make it right or that entitles the child to say such things.
Again, I dislike the chant but I don’t think that in itself gives App a bad reputation. Things like this happen at college stadiums around the country, and I really don’t think it will be the sole deterrent of families.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:51 am
I'd also like to mention (and I insist on mentioning this every time we talk about this chant) that THERE IS A VERY IMPORTANT COMMA IN THAT SENTENCE. If the students truly intent to be that specific, I agree that it must be stopped. I always assumed that he sucks and that he's also an ass hole. I never thought that he sucked asshole.
Just when I thought this thread had gone to hell in a handbasket, Gonzo pulled us back out.

I had personally never thought of this, but he is exactly right. AT LEAST, there was a comma in the students' tasteless chant.

Moral: If you make tasteless chants, use proper punctuation.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm
Gonzo wrote:
I'd also like to mention (and I insist on mentioning this every time we talk about this chant) that THERE IS A VERY IMPORTANT COMMA IN THAT SENTENCE. If the students truly intent to be that specific, I agree that it must be stopped. I always assumed that he sucks and that he's also an ass hole. I never thought that he sucked asshole.
Just when I thought this thread had gone to hell in a handbasket, Gonzo pulled us back out.

I had personally never thought of this, but he is exactly right. AT LEAST, there was a comma in the students' tasteless chant.

Makes no difference. Both are classless. I take no solace in a comma. They're the same words. Stop trying to rationalize the fact that our students make everyone involved with the program look trashy.

dminer3

Unread post by dminer3 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm

I'm a student and I personally don't say the chant at all. It's gotten progressively louder and it was pretty darn loud this past game. However, it's really not that bad, it kinda helps get the students hyped up a little. I know you guys on this board think that it is horrible to say and all that, but us students (18,19,20,21 year olds) don't really see any harm in it. While I don't support my fellow students yelling "you suck, asshole!", I also don't really want to stop it either.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:33 pm

Appftw wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:24 pm
AppAlum1 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:20 pm
Gonzo wrote:

Makes no difference. Both are classless. I take no solace in a comma. They're the same words. Stop trying to rationalize the fact that our students make us look trashy.

Dude: Me -- rationalize? You missed the fact that I was using the same sarcasm font Gonzo was. Get a clue -- tongue was clearly in cheek ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I agree students should behave.

And, the same words in the same sentence with DIFFERENT accents can change the meaning of the sentence. Just as Gonzo noticed. For instance:

Have YOU stopped beating your wife? Differs from ...
Have you STOPPED beating your wife? Differs from ...
Have you stopped BEATING your wife? Differs from ...
Have you stopped beating YOUR wife? Differs from ...
Have you stopped beating your WIFE?

Same difference with a comma as Gonzo used.

WXAPP

Unread post by WXAPP » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm

It's probably time for a "Mic-Person"... UNC we had the "Mic-Man" back in dad's days... Said "person" can probably help guide things to a more supportive and tolerable cheering solution.
Twitter: @wxcrum

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm

dminer3 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm a student and I personally don't say the chant at all. It's gotten progressively louder and it was pretty darn loud this past game. However, it's really not that bad, it kinda helps get the students hyped up a little. I know you guys on this board think that it is horrible to say and all that, but us students (18,19,20,21 year olds) don't really see any harm in it. While I don't support my fellow students yelling "you suck, asshole!", I also don't really want to stop it either.
Look, if this were happening at Georgia Southern we would use it as proof that they have no class and have a trashy fan base. We're better than this, plain and simple. This chant, along with incidents like the spitter last week, will give us a reputation, deserved or not.

I have heard that many SoCon schools did not travel well to GaSo because their students had such a terrible reputation. This can happen to us as well but instead of just socon fans thinking we're rude yokels it will be all the P5 schools in the state when they visit in coming years.

It's all about the bigger picture and realizing that representing the university (in any capacity) is a privilege. This is not something we need to be associated with our school or program.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:10 pm

HeffnerIV wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:09 am
Let's start by not booing our own players.
This is the WORST - these guys are out there doing the best they can and doing something the "boo-birds" couldn't even attempt - I don't approve of the kick-off chant and absolutely not the scum who spit on the WF player but booing your own college players is pathetic!!!
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

Savsheas

Unread post by Savsheas » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:12 pm

What happened to the “CLASS” initiative they used to have?? They used to remind everyone over the PA and video board of it prior to every game. I took my (then) 13-yr-old daughter to the GSU game in Statesboro 9 yrs ago, and we were told to “go home, fu*kers!”, watched their fans flipping off our players by the door of the field house, and ranting “F**k you!” and “over rated!” At them the entire time. It was shameful and SO classless! It prompted me to write a letter to their coach, athletic director, and the chancellor. I’ve always been proud of the way our fans behaved (generally), but this is embarrassing and needs to be stopped before we develop the same reputation as those redneck Eagle fans. :(

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm
I'm not blaming bad attendance on it. Just saying it will make coming to games less appealing for some fans, with no real upside as a tradeoff.
Kicking swaths of students out of the game as some have suggested won't help attendance either....

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”