Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Gonzo
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:25 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm
As the kicker kicks the ball and then everyone yells GO, FIGHT, KICK ASS! while the ball is in the air. Simple and effective, not to mention tradition.
And it contains the exact same amount of profanity.

I really don't understand why so many of you are this upset by that chant. It's honestly making me like it more.

Let's talk about booing our own players. F*ck that.
Last edited by Gonzo on Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm

Appftw wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm
dminer3 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm a student and I personally don't say the chant at all. It's gotten progressively louder and it was pretty darn loud this past game. However, it's really not that bad, it kinda helps get the students hyped up a little. I know you guys on this board think that it is horrible to say and all that, but us students (18,19,20,21 year olds) don't really see any harm in it. While I don't support my fellow students yelling "you suck, asshole!", I also don't really want to stop it either.
Look, if this were happening at Georgia Southern we would use it as proof that they have no class and have a trashy fan base. We're better than this, plain and simple. This chant, along with incidents like the spitter last week, will give us a reputation, deserved or not.

I have heard that many SoCon schools did not travel well to GaSo because their students had such a terrible reputation. This can happen to us as well but instead of just socon fans thinking we're rude yokels it will be all the P5 schools in the state when they visit in coming years.

It's all about the bigger picture and realizing that representing the university (in any capacity) is a privilege. This is not something we need to be associated with our school or program.
Have you ever been to Georgia southern?
I have, and if the worst thing about those trips were the students in the student section chanting “you suck, asshole”, I wouldn’t hesitate to go there.
Unfortunately, it was much worse. From getting booed, harassed walking past tailgates to having people scream in your faces and throw things in the stadium, to having traffic cops ignore and blow whistles while trying to find your way around that shitty campus.
I have been to many stadiums as a “visitor” and never felt like I was in Danger of anything more than friendly ribbing while there, but at Georgia southern, I really felt like I wouldn’t make it out of there without a fight.
Believe me, our “chant” is nothing like a Georgia southern game day experience.

MarxistMountaineer

Unread post by MarxistMountaineer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:35 pm

Do I like the tradition? No, but I don't know if there's a way around it. I guarantee you most schools have chants that they'd rather not hear, but it's just the nature of sports. If you think this one is bad you guys should stay away from soccer forever. When you combine alcohol and 20 year olds, you're going to hear some bad language. Can I ask this: How is it any different than saying "kick ass!" in the fight song? Or chanting "BULL SHIT" on a bad call? Is it different at all? And unfortunately if you try to kick students out because of this I'm afraid you're just going to hear the chant get louder and louder, kind of like "if you kick one of us out, you'll have to kick all of us out" thing.

I'm just grateful we have students that show up to the games. But I'm still more worried about finding a way to get people to stay for close games and to keep our fans from booing our own players.

Do I like the chant? No and I wish it'd go away. But it doesn't bother me like it does some of you guys, and there are things I'm more worried about.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:37 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm
Appftw wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm
dminer3 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm a student and I personally don't say the chant at all. It's gotten progressively louder and it was pretty darn loud this past game. However, it's really not that bad, it kinda helps get the students hyped up a little. I know you guys on this board think that it is horrible to say and all that, but us students (18,19,20,21 year olds) don't really see any harm in it. While I don't support my fellow students yelling "you suck, asshole!", I also don't really want to stop it either.
Look, if this were happening at Georgia Southern we would use it as proof that they have no class and have a trashy fan base. We're better than this, plain and simple. This chant, along with incidents like the spitter last week, will give us a reputation, deserved or not.

I have heard that many SoCon schools did not travel well to GaSo because their students had such a terrible reputation. This can happen to us as well but instead of just socon fans thinking we're rude yokels it will be all the P5 schools in the state when they visit in coming years.

It's all about the bigger picture and realizing that representing the university (in any capacity) is a privilege. This is not something we need to be associated with our school or program.
Have you ever been to Georgia southern?
I have, and if the worst thing about those trips were the students in the student section chanting “you suck, asshole”, I wouldn’t hesitate to go there.
Unfortunately, it was much worse. From getting booed, harassed walking past tailgates to having people scream in your faces and throw things in the stadium, to having traffic cops ignore and blow whistles while trying to find your way around that shitty campus.
I have been to many stadiums as a “visitor” and never felt like I was in Danger of anything more than friendly ribbing while there, but at Georgia southern, I really felt like I wouldn’t make it out of there without a fight.
Believe me, our “chant” is nothing like a Georgia southern game day experience.
I've been to Georgia Southern every time we've played them since 2010 and can honestly say I've never had a bad experience. That doesn't mean they don't have a reputation and like I was saying we are well on our way to developing one.

Do you really think that Wake's admin or fans are dying to rekindle our rivalry after one of our fans spit on their players?? Many of their fans don't even need that much of an excuse and already think that they should never come to Boone again. If you don't think things like this are a threat to our future schedules then you're not thinking, IMO. Perhaps that's why GaSo has had such a hard time getting marquee opponents to their stadium.

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm

I've yet to hear anyone defend Spitgate '17.

The "you suck, ass hole" chant is a far cry from committing an actual simple assault.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:51 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:48 pm
I've yet to hear anyone defend Spitgate '17.

The "you suck, ass hole" chant is a far cry from committing an actual simple assault.
I never equated them. Simply stated that both of them contribute to our perception, like it or not.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:56 pm

you are talking about 2 entirely different issues here.
The alleged spitting at the Wake game is completely different than a chant by students after a kickoff.
it was (allegedly) from 1 person in the crowd to a player. I am in no way excusing this if it did occur, and I hope that person is appropriately punished, but I think this is the exception, not the rule. If multiple students were Spitting on the visitor section, I would agree it is indicative of a broader problem and potentially detrimental to attendance.
Im sure spitting and yelling at the opposing team (while completely inappropriate) isn’t as isolated at stadiums around the country as you think.
I thought the discussion was about attendance in relation to students chants and not on re-kindling rivalries. There are multiple reasons Wake may have for not wanting to do so, and all of those would be excuses in my opinion, the real reason would be the reason it fell off 10+ years ago. That is a P5 team don’t want to struggle and maybe lose to a team they should beat; but that is another discussion.
As for the topic that was actually being discussed, It’s not like every fan base doesn’t have the fans that go a little too far and do or say things they shouldn’t, but they do not represent the entire school, and throwing KIDS out of a game because a questionable chant does not bode well for overall game day experience. How much time do we spend here lamenting the lack of energy, participation and leaving early of the student section? What kind of atmosphere would the stadium have if we become so strict and limit everything they say or do to the point where they stopped coming all together?
Would you rather have a wine and cheese crowd who sits on their hands for 4 quarters then walks out to their Lexus SUV to drive back to Winston? Remember, this is a college game on a college campus. It’s not all about the 40+ year old alums
Last edited by The Rock on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:59 pm

I am not advocating for students being kicked out of games just so we're clear. I believe that if the Team Captains were to have a heart-to-heart with the students on the 50 yard line before going out for the coin toss it would go a long way. Maybe not, but it's worth a try.

HighlandsApp

Unread post by HighlandsApp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:00 pm

Appstate88 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:03 pm
Bugler’s Dream must be played on every kick-off by the marching mountaineers or a recording is used over the sound system if band is not in the stands. Everyone, I mean everyone, stands and points the direction our team is going. Everyone yells BOOOOM! As the kicker kicks the ball and then everyone yells GO, FIGHT, KICK ASS! while the ball is in the air. Simple and effective, not to mention tradition.

Our fight yell is: Go, Fight, Win Apps! It morphed into the late 70s or early 80s.

I yell Go! Fight! Win Apps! because I had four children regularly at games (three of which graduated or attend AppState) and there are regularly children around in the stands.

How can you call out students if you yell Kick Ass as though it is official chant?

Go! Fight! Win Apps!

NO.2

Unread post by NO.2 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm

The chant certainly lacks class but is nowhere near as vulgar as some of you are making it out to be.

Newsflash: It's 2017 and we weren't all raised as God-fearin' Southern Baptists who think "H-E-double hockey sticks" is a cuss word.
Last edited by NO.2 on Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:03 pm

Gonzo wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:24 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm
It will be stopped. Yes it is bad and embarrassing. However if you want to blame bad attendance on it you are reaching for an excuse.
I'm not blaming bad attendance on it. Just saying it will make coming to games less appealing for some fans, with no real upside as a tradeoff.
Kicking swaths of students out of the game as some have suggested won't help attendance either....
And I don't support that suggestion. If nothing else, it's not feasible to kick people out for a chant that hundreds or thousands are participating in.

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:15 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:17 pm
Goapps15 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 1:09 pm
It will be stopped. Yes it is bad and embarrassing. However if you want to blame bad attendance on it you are reaching for an excuse.
I'm not blaming bad attendance on it. Just saying it will make coming to games less appealing for some fans, with no real upside as a tradeoff.
That makes alot more sense sir. Many people use the morphed version of the go fight win, including alums. In general I think alot of elder alums are trying to find any potential reason for decreased attendance.

Don't get me wrong I don't like the chant at all. Just my .02.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm

No one thinks saying "asshole" is all that bad in and of itself, but the chant contributes to and shapes our game day culture. Georgia Southern didn't just wake up one day and become the ECU of Georgia. These things snowball over time and I would hate to be like either of those schools. The chant is a step in that direction. It's not as "harmless" as some want to believe.

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:45 pm

I wouldn't make a big deal of it if we had more than two chants. "Sucking Assholes" is now a tradition right up there with the fight song and the "App" "State" chant for a grand total of 3. No one does the "Goooo Appalachian" anymore or anything else. Am I mistaken?

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:50 pm

Here is what I find perplexing about the whole thing (other than it lacking class).... the students are telling the team, that just scored on us, they suck.

Makes zero sense.

What does that infer about our Apps?

Appstate10

Unread post by Appstate10 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:55 pm

I really hate the chant at kickoff. I really don't get the point of it. Are you calling the kicker an a$$ hole for kicking the ball or the player for scoring against us? It just makes no sense to me. I graduated about 7 years ago and that was not a thing then. I don't know where it came from, but it needs to go back. That not classy to me. There's a way to do that and be classy. Calling some an a $$hole and saying "Kick A $$" on the fight song are 2 different things to me.

As far as the spitting incident goes, I think that person, who apparently turned themselves in, should be banned. I think it's ridiculous to say our entire fan base is like that because of one person. If that was the case, then I'd think the whole WFU student section was bad after seeing multiple students flip off the camera at the FSU game on TV.

AppOrange

Unread post by AppOrange » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:03 pm

Free speech, I'm all for it, gets people hyped, ok, I hear that, but come on where does it end, do we have to always have this arguement. Bottom line is that it's common and lacks basic social decency. If you wouldn't say it in a job interview, don't say it in public settings. You want rights, what about my rights and the majority of people on this board who don't want to hear it. Terrible, sets a bad example for us who occasionally bring kids as well.

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:08 pm

The difference I see (hear) in the "Kick Ass" and this chant is that "Kick Ass" is, in my mind imploring our team to do just that - whereas, the other is a direct insult to our opponents ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppStateMtneer

Unread post by AppStateMtneer » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:38 pm

Absolutely have to get rid of the kickoff "chant" crap... the band has done a 360 since the Savannah State game... I'm loving hearing the olympics again on nearly every kickoff.. and letting them control the atmosphere vs the "music"...

I will have to find and figure out how to post the first down chant we used to do when I was a student... it sounds like NC State now does it... noticed it on TV vs Louisville and it sounded great!

And that's another Mountaineer -- First Down! move the Chains! Move the Chains ! Move Move Move !

AppStateNews

Unread post by AppStateNews » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:59 pm

I never liked it, but didn't really think it was a big deal until last season. Last season, during one of the first games, a young alumnus
in our section screamed it on the top of her lungs, by herself. She didn't know any better -- that's what she thought was normal. We quickly got her to stop for that game. However, the rest of the season (well except for the Miami game because they obviously sold their tickets to U fans), her and the rest of her friends (clearly young alums), kept it up.

I wouldn't normally care. There are way worse words than @$$hole that kids hear at school. But, when you are taking kids to a college event and having to explain to them on every kick off that's not right, don't say it, etc. etc., that's not right. It's hard to blame these kids for continuing it because they thought that was the tradition. Luckily they don't have tickets in our section this year so I am not hearing it now. But my point is, if it continues to grow like it has the last 3-5 years, that will be the tradition on kickoffs -- and that is not a good tradition to have!
Last edited by AppStateNews on Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tAPPedInSports.net

Not affiliated with the above website

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”