Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

NoLongerLurking
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:02 pm

I AM OUTRAGED!

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:03 pm

Savsheas wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:12 pm
What happened to the “CLASS” initiative they used to have?? They used to remind everyone over the PA and video board of it prior to every game. I took my (then) 13-yr-old daughter to the GSU game in Statesboro 9 yrs ago, and we were told to “go home, fu*kers!”, watched their fans flipping off our players by the door of the field house, and ranting “F**k you!” and “over rated!” At them the entire time. It was shameful and SO classless! It prompted me to write a letter to their coach, athletic director, and the chancellor. I’ve always been proud of the way our fans behaved (generally), but this is embarrassing and needs to be stopped before we develop the same reputation as those redneck Eagle fans. :(
I went to one game at GS about 20 years ago. I was on the sideline. NOTHING could ever make me go back there.

dp42828

Unread post by dp42828 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:07 pm

Appftw wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:42 pm
No one thinks saying "asshole" is all that bad in and of itself, but the chant contributes to and shapes our game day culture. Georgia Southern didn't just wake up one day and become the ECU of Georgia. These things snowball over time and I would hate to be like either of those schools. The chant is a step in that direction. It's not as "harmless" as some want to believe.
This. It's a slippery slope....
David
2004 Marketing & Management Grad

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm

The Rock wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:27 pm
Appftw wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:09 pm
dminer3 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 2:30 pm
I'm a student and I personally don't say the chant at all. It's gotten progressively louder and it was pretty darn loud this past game. However, it's really not that bad, it kinda helps get the students hyped up a little. I know you guys on this board think that it is horrible to say and all that, but us students (18,19,20,21 year olds) don't really see any harm in it. While I don't support my fellow students yelling "you suck, asshole!", I also don't really want to stop it either.
Look, if this were happening at Georgia Southern we would use it as proof that they have no class and have a trashy fan base. We're better than this, plain and simple. This chant, along with incidents like the spitter last week, will give us a reputation, deserved or not.

I have heard that many SoCon schools did not travel well to GaSo because their students had such a terrible reputation. This can happen to us as well but instead of just socon fans thinking we're rude yokels it will be all the P5 schools in the state when they visit in coming years.

It's all about the bigger picture and realizing that representing the university (in any capacity) is a privilege. This is not something we need to be associated with our school or program.
Have you ever been to Georgia southern?
I have, and if the worst thing about those trips were the students in the student section chanting “you suck, asshole”, I wouldn’t hesitate to go there.
Unfortunately, it was much worse. From getting booed, harassed walking past tailgates to having people scream in your faces and throw things in the stadium, to having traffic cops ignore and blow whistles while trying to find your way around that shitty campus.
I have been to many stadiums as a “visitor” and never felt like I was in Danger of anything more than friendly ribbing while there, but at Georgia southern, I really felt like I wouldn’t make it out of there without a fight.
Believe me, our “chant” is nothing like a Georgia southern game day experience.
That's why we need this to stop. All that crap at GS didn't just start one Saturday.

/\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09

Unread post by /\PP ST/\TE GRAD 09 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:20 pm

We have ourselves to blame. I tried years ago while in school and afterwards on Appfans.com (Before I knew about MMB) to get people on board with starting a stadium wide chant. Poor promotion likely the reason it never went anywhere, but why has there not been a tradition set forth years ago? Kind of like UGA says, "Sick em" and have been saying it for years. I like the idea of once the ball is kicked the west side says GO! and the East Side follows by saying APP! Similar to the not done enough App-State chant.
Twitter: @brosef_yosef

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:42 pm

NO.2 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 4:01 pm
The chant certainly lacks class but is nowhere near as vulgar as some of you are making it out to be.

Newslfash: It's 2017 and we weren't all raised as God-fearin' Southern Baptists who think "H-E-double hockey sticks" is a cuss word.
I'm way past 40. And believe it or not we said hell when I was at App. As in Go Fight Give em hell. Just because it's 2017 doesn't mean one must loose site of appropriateness. But it is 2017

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:03 pm

1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
Appftw wrote:
dminer3 wrote:
I'm a student and I personally don't say the chant at all. It's gotten progressively louder and it was pretty darn loud this past game. However, it's really not that bad, it kinda helps get the students hyped up a little. I know you guys on this board think that it is horrible to say and all that, but us students (18,19,20,21 year olds) don't really see any harm in it. While I don't support my fellow students yelling "you suck, asshole!", I also don't really want to stop it either.
Look, if this were happening at Georgia Southern we would use it as proof that they have no class and have a trashy fan base. We're better than this, plain and simple. This chant, along with incidents like the spitter last week, will give us a reputation, deserved or not.

I have heard that many SoCon schools did not travel well to GaSo because their students had such a terrible reputation. This can happen to us as well but instead of just socon fans thinking we're rude yokels it will be all the P5 schools in the state when they visit in coming years.

It's all about the bigger picture and realizing that representing the university (in any capacity) is a privilege. This is not something we need to be associated with our school or program.
I have, and if the worst thing about those trips were the students in the student section chanting “you suck, asshole”, I wouldn’t hesitate to go there.
Unfortunately, it was much worse. From getting booed, harassed walking past tailgates to having people scream in your faces and throw things in the stadium, to having traffic cops ignore and blow whistles while trying to find your way around that shitty campus.
I have been to many stadiums as a “visitor” and never felt like I was in Danger of anything more than friendly ribbing while there, but at Georgia southern, I really felt like I wouldn’t make it out of there without a fight.
That's why we need this to stop. All that crap at GS didn't just start one Saturday.
It didn’t just start one Saturday, but a sub-sophomoric chant probably wasn’t the spark in the gas tank either...

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm

I don't care if Ken Peacock was the one who started it....it needs to stop. If I was 18 I'd probably get a chuckle out of it too, but to the student to commented above, you have to think how it makes Appalachian State University look to visiting fans and those watching on TV. It makes all of us look classless.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm
I don't care if Ken Peacock was the one who started it....it needs to stop. If I was 18 I'd probably get a chuckle out of it too, but to the student to commented above, you have to think how it makes Appalachian State University look to visiting fans and those watching on TV. It makes all of us look classless.
That is like saying all Muslims are bad because of ISIS, or all guns are evil because a nut in Vegas. They are broad generalizations that aren’t true and don’t represent the actuality of the circumstances.
Any logical person is going to be able to differentiate between 18-20 year olds saying something vs. 20,000+ cordial fans in an inviting and amazing atmosphere.
If they don’t see that, they are looking for an excuse to be offended, much like many people here are, and that can’t be prevented. If it wasn’t this, it would be a dozen other things

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:02 pm

This may have been said already as I haven't read the entire thread but what bothers me about this particular chant, and there's a line between what's OK and not OK BTW. "Sucking assholes" is across the line in my opinion. But back to what really matters, and I'm addressing this to the students I guess. When non-App people see/hear that type of "across the line" behavior it's added to their perception of our graduates, especially to people from academically strong schools like Wake, UNC, etc. They already think we're hillbilly/rednecks and something like that just adds to their perception. You may say that you don't care, and maybe you don't, but if that person is reviewing resumes and sees Appalachian State as your educational institution do they put it in the interview stack or the trash? That's a critical point in the job-getting process. If you don't even get an interview you have zero chance of getting the job.
You may think it's a small thing but it's human nature. I've hired a lot of people over the last 30 years and I can tell you that I have tossed out resumes simply because of my perception of the students at certain schools. When you have a stack of 30+ resumes for 1 open position you look for reasons to thin out the pile. Other peoples' perceptions are their realities, right or wrong.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:52 pm

We had to stop playing Rock and Roll Pt 2 because this happens https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SNQH_z3GxhI.

At this point it has probably become so ingrained that the only way to change songs on kickoffs.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
That is like saying all Muslims are bad because of ISIS, or all guns are evil because a nut in Vegas. They are broad generalizations that aren’t true and don’t represent the actuality of the circumstances.
Any logical person is going to be able to differentiate between 18-20 year olds saying something vs. 20,000+ cordial fans in an inviting and amazing atmosphere.
If they don’t see that, they are looking for an excuse to be offended, much like many people here are, and that can’t be prevented. If it wasn’t this, it would be a dozen other things
Actually it is nothing at all like Muslims and guns. What it is is the face of your university. It is said over and over that we want exposure. We get that from a little TV and a lot of espn3. This kind of chant is not something that endears folks to your school. It is also said on here over and over that we are paranoid about looking like a high school, so why act like a middle school. The boos and this chant are just childish and inappropriate. I went to JMU one time and in walking past the student section we were yelled at and cursed at. The rest of the folks there were ok but the students were asses. I will never go back there.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:19 pm

Rick83 wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 4:02 pm
This may have been said already as I haven't read the entire thread but what bothers me about this particular chant, and there's a line between what's OK and not OK BTW. "Sucking assholes" is across the line in my opinion. But back to what really matters, and I'm addressing this to the students I guess. When non-App people see/hear that type of "across the line" behavior it's added to their perception of our graduates, especially to people from academically strong schools like Wake, UNC, etc. They already think we're hillbilly/rednecks and something like that just adds to their perception. You may say that you don't care, and maybe you don't, but if that person is reviewing resumes and sees Appalachian State as your educational institution do they put it in the interview stack or the trash? That's a critical point in the job-getting process. If you don't even get an interview you have zero chance of getting the job.
You may think it's a small thing but it's human nature. I've hired a lot of people over the last 30 years and I can tell you that I have tossed out resumes simply because of my perception of the students at certain schools. When you have a stack of 30+ resumes for 1 open position you look for reasons to thin out the pile. Other peoples' perceptions are their realities, right or wrong.
I have done the same.

AppinVA

Unread post by AppinVA » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm

bcoach wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Actually it is nothing at all like Muslims and guns. What it is is the face of your university. It is said over and over that we want exposure. We get that from a little TV and a lot of espn3. This kind of chant is not something that endears folks to your school. It is also said on here over and over that we are paranoid about looking like a high school, so why act like a middle school. The boos and this chant are just childish and inappropriate. I went to JMU one time and in walking past the student section we were yelled at and cursed at. The rest of the folks there were ok but the students were asses. I will never go back there.
As long as they're FCS, you won't have to.

I am in in no way blaming ANY of this on Dr. Everts, but if Uncle Ken (his spirit and involvement was one of a kind) was on the sidelines, I'm sure he would have been able to put the breaks on it before it started.
"Some people call me hillbilly. Some people call me mountain man. You can call me Appalachian. Appalachian's what I am."-- Del McCoury Band

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:29 pm

AppinVA wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:26 pm
bcoach wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
As long as they're FCS, you won't have to.

I am in in no way blaming ANY of this on Dr. Everts, but if Uncle Ken (his spirit and involvement was one of a kind) was on the sidelines, I'm sure he would have been able to put the breaks on it before it started.
Absolutely true

AppRolls

Unread post by AppRolls » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:53 pm

I'm in Section 213 on the East Side and I heard it loud and clear on Saturday. It's an embarrassment to the program. I wonder what the visiting recruits think - and their parents that might be in attendance as well.

Were they doing that chant when Dr. Peacock was down there all of the time?

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm

bcoach wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
You are saying as the face of our university, people are judging us all based on what a small part of our population chooses to participate in. How is this nothing at all like my analogy?
Edit to add, calling a small portion of the student section at a football game the “face of” Appalachian is completely discounting and discrediting the school as a whole. While a strong football program is certainly a draw, you can’t discredit our academic prowess, and suggesting that a minority of a subset of students who actually attend a football game the face of our university is way off base

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:23 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm
bcoach wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
You are saying as the face of our university, people are judging us all based on what a small part of our population chooses to participate in. How is this nothing at all like my analogy?
Edit to add, calling a small portion of the student section at a football game the “face of” Appalachian is completely discounting and discrediting the school as a whole. While a strong football program is certainly a draw, you can’t discredit our academic prowess, and suggesting that a minority of a subset of students who actually attend a football game the face of our university is way off base
Athletics is the Front Porch of the University. And yes, that includes Fans, especially when we are on TV.

We are fortunate to have a large Student body in attendance. The downside is for this chant it is so loud it comes through as if the entire crowd was saying it.

So yeah, the "chant" does suck. Not the image any of us should want associated with our fine institution.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 7:58 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm
bcoach wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Me thinks you understand but just want to argue so let's leave it at that.

1ASU78

Unread post by 1ASU78 » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:16 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:03 pm
1ASU78 wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 8:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
Appftw wrote:
dminer3 wrote:

It didn’t just start one Saturday, but a sub-sophomoric chant probably wasn’t the spark in the gas tank either...
On its own probably not, in conjunction with other sub-sophomoric behavior ...well one thing leads to another

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”