Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

DaphneUrquhart
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by DaphneUrquhart » Tue Oct 10, 2017 8:26 pm

WXAPP wrote:
Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:07 pm
It's probably time for a "Mic-Person"... UNC we had the "Mic-Man" back in dad's days... Said "person" can probably help guide things to a more supportive and tolerable cheering solution.
Dang, I'm feeling old now! We had a mic man when I was at Chapel Hill. "Older than dirt" coming up in 3, 2, 1 ... One of my sorority sisters was the first female to try out to be mic man (she didn't win :) ).

The mic man concept is currently used successfully at places like Texas A&M.
If serving is beneath you, then leading is beyond you.

#GiveYosef

High Country Student

Unread post by High Country Student » Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 pm

I really don't want to read through this entire thread but I'll say the following. I was around the initial crew that started this probably around 5 years ago or so at this point. Granted you couldn't hear us at the time because there weren't that many of us, but it grew over time. Whether you like it, agree with it, or wish it would rot in the ground, we were drunk college kids that enjoyed the heck out of rooting on the Apps but at the same time we were young, dumb, and into the game. I promise you that group were some of the most loyal App State fans around. Attended every football, basketball, baseball game and many times were at the other athletic events as well. Not everyone was like this but can you blame drunk college kids having a good time for yelling you suck asshole on a kickoff and finding a little humor in it? Honestly, it makes me happy that it's grown. Our student section has become less passionate each year it seems like. Just the thought of hearing synchronized yelling from them at this point is cause enough to put a smile on my face. Remember you were that age once upon a time. Is it the best line in the world to yell out? Probably not. But put yourself in their shoes and let them have some fun. These are merely words. Let it go in one ear and out the other as you remember yourself at that age.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:23 pm

I agree with letting the student section loose. They are directly behind our team. That said the "adults behind the visiting team in the yosef club should be respectful and loudly cheer (yell) for the Mountaineers. No stupid cussing or taunting just be "THE 12th" man. The student section is behind their peers and may know how to amp up our boys better than all the old grads. Old grads should show pride and loyalty by being LAUD and respectful. Let the students enjoy. I want our student section to be the Cameron Crazies of NC college football.

Woodstovegang

Unread post by Woodstovegang » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:24 pm

LOUD

Appstate88

Unread post by Appstate88 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:37 am

Just use the video board and get everyone to yell...”Give em Hell App!”

Nuff said.
GIVE 'EM HELL APPS!

appknowledgeispower

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 am

The CURRENT student section is SAWFT! I was in the student section from 2006-2010, and were we spoiled with all the winning, possibly! But we were fans who enjoyed the games, the chants, and most in my group were actually knowledgeable about football. I HOPE current students read this....all of you fairy tale type students who have no clue about the game of football, just go to the games drunk, or the guys who wear bow ties like idiots because of greek life, if you want to leave at halftime, I wouldn't even want you at the game. You bring NO energy only stupidity in most cases. The student section has decreased in competence and creativity, and this was first noticed in 2012. You can barely get an APP....STATE chant started, I guess it doesn't help when the cheerleaders try to start the same chant when we are on offense....earth to ALL fans, be quiet when we are on offense and certainly don't start chants.
ALL THE WANNA BE COACHES-SHUT UP! You sound like idiotic morons. You know very little about the game, coaches, strategies, schemes, and so forth. Our coaching staff gets paid to do this for a living...you do not. SUPPORT THEM and STOP questioning them like you are a Hall of Fame Coach!
ALL THE IDIOTS SAYING SIT DOWN-I pay for my ticket as do you, just because you decide to leave the stands multiple times causing people to move during the game, and you want ME to sit down, I REFUSE.....suck it up buttercup! I will stand whenever I want INCLUDING on 3rd down as most people should! I will be loud, and give my ALL TODAY AND EVERYDAY AS AN APP ALUM AND FAN! One lady in particular if beer was poured on her from above in club level I would rejoice and clap as she knows nothing but acts as if she were Nick Saban with football IQ. Players make mistakes and at the end of the day these young men are exactly that: young men, sons, a few fathers, etc. that are playing a game they love with a passionate fan base. But instead of questioning this, that, and the other OR complaining and shouting at them when they make one mistake ASK YOURSELF THIS....DO PEOPLE SHOUT AT YOU WHEN YOU MESS UP AT WORK OR SAY YOU SHOULD BE BENCHED "AKA FIRED"? End rant and thanks for listening as I know much more than 98% of the insiders and super fans claim to know on what has become a message board for grown adults to whine on....IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO WHINE ALL THE TIME, PLENTY IS AVAILABLE IN CHAPEL HILL, GRAB YOUR CHEESE AND GO!

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:54 am

High Country Student wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 9:35 pm
I really don't want to read through this entire thread but I'll say the following. I was around the initial crew that started this probably around 5 years ago or so at this point. Granted you couldn't hear us at the time because there weren't that many of us, but it grew over time. Whether you like it, agree with it, or wish it would rot in the ground, we were drunk college kids that enjoyed the heck out of rooting on the Apps but at the same time we were young, dumb, and into the game. I promise you that group were some of the most loyal App State fans around. Attended every football, basketball, baseball game and many times were at the other athletic events as well. Not everyone was like this but can you blame drunk college kids having a good time for yelling you suck asshole on a kickoff and finding a little humor in it? Honestly, it makes me happy that it's grown. Our student section has become less passionate each year it seems like. Just the thought of hearing synchronized yelling from them at this point is cause enough to put a smile on my face. Remember you were that age once upon a time. Is it the best line in the world to yell out? Probably not. But put yourself in their shoes and let them have some fun. These are merely words. Let it go in one ear and out the other as you remember yourself at that age.
Words not only matter, but are more powerful than you realize. We're not asking them to sit there like prudes, but just be a little more tactful and respectful. I'd love to see a student show some leadership and come up with another chant and get it adopted, if it's good enough maybe those of us in the "old guard" will join in. How cool would that be, for the whole stadium to chant something being led by the students?

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 am

appknowledgeispower wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 am
The CURRENT student section is SAWFT! I was in the student section from 2006-2010, and were we spoiled with all the winning, possibly! But we were fans who enjoyed the games, the chants, and most in my group were actually knowledgeable about football. I HOPE current students read this....all of you fairy tale type students who have no clue about the game of football, just go to the games drunk, or the guys who wear bow ties like idiots because of greek life, if you want to leave at halftime, I wouldn't even want you at the game. You bring NO energy only stupidity in most cases. The student section has decreased in competence and creativity, and this was first noticed in 2012. You can barely get an APP....STATE chant started, I guess it doesn't help when the cheerleaders try to start the same chant when we are on offense....earth to ALL fans, be quiet when we are on offense and certainly don't start chants.
ALL THE WANNA BE COACHES-SHUT UP! You sound like idiotic morons. You know very little about the game, coaches, strategies, schemes, and so forth. Our coaching staff gets paid to do this for a living...you do not. SUPPORT THEM and STOP questioning them like you are a Hall of Fame Coach!
ALL THE IDIOTS SAYING SIT DOWN-I pay for my ticket as do you, just because you decide to leave the stands multiple times causing people to move during the game, and you want ME to sit down, I REFUSE.....suck it up buttercup! I will stand whenever I want INCLUDING on 3rd down as most people should! I will be loud, and give my ALL TODAY AND EVERYDAY AS AN APP ALUM AND FAN! One lady in particular if beer was poured on her from above in club level I would rejoice and clap as she knows nothing but acts as if she were Nick Saban with football IQ. Players make mistakes and at the end of the day these young men are exactly that: young men, sons, a few fathers, etc. that are playing a game they love with a passionate fan base. But instead of questioning this, that, and the other OR complaining and shouting at them when they make one mistake ASK YOURSELF THIS....DO PEOPLE SHOUT AT YOU WHEN YOU MESS UP AT WORK OR SAY YOU SHOULD BE BENCHED "AKA FIRED"? End rant and thanks for listening as I know much more than 98% of the insiders and super fans claim to know on what has become a message board for grown adults to whine on....IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO WHINE ALL THE TIME, PLENTY IS AVAILABLE IN CHAPEL HILL, GRAB YOUR CHEESE AND GO!
Nice rant..

appknowledgeispower

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:17 am

Rick83 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:59 am
appknowledgeispower wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:48 am
Nice rant..

Sarcasm or truth? Haha.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:35 am

w on what has become a message board for grown adults to whine on....IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO WHINE ALL THE TIME, PLENTY IS AVAILABLE IN CHAPEL HILL, GRAB YOUR CHEESE AND GO!
[/quote]
Nice rant..
[/quote]

Sarcasm or truth? Haha.
[/quote]
Ha...I do post a lot of sarcastic responses but this one I'd put in the truth category. I think that there are some people that won't be satisfied until we're beating P5s at least semi-regularly and then we get into a bigger name bowl game...and win it convincingly. We'll get there and then App Nation will be united again.

JTApps1

Unread post by JTApps1 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:47 am

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 6:54 pm
bcoach wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:18 pm
The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm
I don't care if Ken Peacock was the one who started it....it needs to stop. If I was 18 I'd probably get a chuckle out of it too, but to the student to commented above, you have to think how it makes Appalachian State University look to visiting fans and those watching on TV. It makes all of us look classless.
That is like saying all Muslims are bad because of ISIS, or all guns are evil because a nut in Vegas. They are broad generalizations that aren’t true and don’t represent the actuality of the circumstances.
Any logical person is going to be able to differentiate between 18-20 year olds saying something vs. 20,000+ cordial fans in an inviting and amazing atmosphere.
If they don’t see that, they are looking for an excuse to be offended, much like many people here are, and that can’t be prevented. If it wasn’t this, it would be a dozen other things
Actually it is nothing at all like Muslims and guns. What it is is the face of your university. It is said over and over that we want exposure. We get that from a little TV and a lot of espn3. This kind of chant is not something that endears folks to your school. It is also said on here over and over that we are paranoid about looking like a high school, so why act like a middle school. The boos and this chant are just childish and inappropriate. I went to JMU one time and in walking past the student section we were yelled at and cursed at. The rest of the folks there were ok but the students were asses. I will never go back there.
You are saying as the face of our university, people are judging us all based on what a small part of our population chooses to participate in. How is this nothing at all like my analogy?
Edit to add, calling a small portion of the student section at a football game the “face of” Appalachian is completely discounting and discrediting the school as a whole. While a strong football program is certainly a draw, you can’t discredit our academic prowess, and suggesting that a minority of a subset of students who actually attend a football game the face of our university is way off base
We usually have 8,000 or more students at a game, and judging by the volume of the chant most of them are saying it. That is nearly half the student body not a small portion.

I'm all for yelling all game, having chants, and trying to distract the opposing teams players. This isn't the way to do it.
When will "It's better than what we had" no longer be good enough for App State?

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:49 am

I've decided to participate in the next "you suck, ass hole" chant at KBS.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:51 am

That fits you to a T.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

Gonzo

Unread post by Gonzo » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 am

I never wanted to until I'd read all 6 pages of this thread. I can't miss an opportunity to shock the squares.

Go Apps. Fight Apps. Kick ass. But don't you use that last word in any other context during the game. Children are to be seen, not heard. How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?

Appftw

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 am

Gonzo wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:57 am
I never wanted to until I'd read all 6 pages of this thread. I can't miss an opportunity to shock the squares.

Go Apps. Fight Apps. Kick ass. But don't you use that last word in any other context during the game. Children are to be seen, not heard. How can you have your pudding if you don't eat your meat?
Asshole is one word, and a little more vulgar than ass just FYI. And if the fight song said anything about sucking along with "ass" then it would be comparable, but it's not.

Im fine with being a "square" if it means caring about the perception of my school.

appgrouch
Location: In my seat, waiting for people to shut up and play.

Unread post by appgrouch » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:25 pm

Appftw wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:04 am
Gonzo wrote:

Asshole is one word, and a little more vulgar than ass just FYI. And if the fight song said anything about sucking along with "ass" then it would be comparable, but it's not.

Im fine with being a "square" if it means caring about the perception of my school.
If the donkey won't move, you have to kick it now and then.
Unless you have a pit that you keep your donkey in or it keeps falling it, then knock it off with the lollipop and anatomy chants. Now if you get bit by a snake, we will revisit the lollipop chant.
That's what I do. I gripe and I know things.

appst89
Site Admin

Unread post by appst89 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:10 pm

Gonzo wrote:

Ridiculous.

I'll also echo the sentiment expressed earlier. If caring about how my alma mater is perceived makes me a square then I'll gladly wear that badge.

BUTCH1991

Unread post by BUTCH1991 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:46 pm

I just don't understand how these kids that are offended by every spoken word, can have the gall to reference someone using that word. By calling the kicker an asshole and telling them that they suck, that is blatant BULLYING. I thought all those kids were opposed to such behavior, but yet here they are displaying said behavior.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't stir the pot any further, but I did. Shame on me.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:54 pm

BUTCH1991 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 1:46 pm
I just don't understand how these kids that are offended by every spoken word, can have the gall to reference someone using that word. By calling the kicker an asshole and telling them that they suck, that is blatant BULLYING. I thought all those kids were opposed to such behavior, but yet here they are displaying said behavior.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't stir the pot any further, but I did. Shame on me.
They are offended by words spoken TO them not words spoken BY them.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:14 pm

And here we are offended by both.
What does that say about us?
Maybe we should put the whole stadium on “silent lunch” so no one would possibly hear a bad word and be offended and think their alma mater is an embarrassment to the country because someone said a dirty word...

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”