Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Appftw
School: Appalachian State

Re: Student section Yelling "You Suck @ssholes" on kickoffs - PLEASE STOP

Unread post by Appftw » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

The Rock wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 2:14 pm
And here we are offended by both.
What does that say about us?
Maybe we should put the whole stadium on “silent lunch” so no one would possibly hear a bad word and be offended and think their alma mater is an embarrassment to the country because someone said a dirty word...
It's not about being offended. This chant occurs every kickoff which makes it far and away the most oft-repeated chant at every game besides the Fight Song. It's in poor taste and does not reflect.

And yeah Gonz, we could totally tell you were against when you posted the LSU video and tried to say that it wasn't uncommon (even though LSU stopped that shit in its tracks).

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm

The Rock wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:41 pm
APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Oct 10, 2017 3:28 pm
I don't care if Ken Peacock was the one who started it....it needs to stop. If I was 18 I'd probably get a chuckle out of it too, but to the student to commented above, you have to think how it makes Appalachian State University look to visiting fans and those watching on TV. It makes all of us look classless.
That is like saying all Muslims are bad because of ISIS, or all guns are evil because a nut in Vegas. They are broad generalizations that aren’t true and don’t represent the actuality of the circumstances.
Any logical person is going to be able to differentiate between 18-20 year olds saying something vs. 20,000+ cordial fans in an inviting and amazing atmosphere.
If they don’t see that, they are looking for an excuse to be offended, much like many people here are, and that can’t be prevented. If it wasn’t this, it would be a dozen other things
Not what I said and I'll respectfully request you not put words in my mouth again. I know many App fans who won't ever travel to Statesboro again because of the way their student section behaves. I do not want Appalachian State University to have that same reputation.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Goapps15

Unread post by Goapps15 » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 pm

Georgia southerns student section throws beer at you, tries to fight you and much more. We have a chant. The two aren't comparable. It's not even close.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am

Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 pm
Georgia southerns student section throws beer at you, tries to fight you and much more. We have a chant. The two aren't comparable. It's not even close.
Thank you! Exactly the point I have been making. Saying a chant to essentially no one is no where near physically attacking or harming anyone. It isn’t a slippery slope that leads to physical assault like everyone is making out.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 3:11 pm
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
I don't care if Ken Peacock was the one who started it....it needs to stop. If I was 18 I'd probably get a chuckle out of it too, but to the student to commented above, you have to think how it makes Appalachian State University look to visiting fans and those watching on TV. It makes all of us look classless.
That is like saying all Muslims are bad because of ISIS, or all guns are evil because a nut in Vegas. They are broad generalizations that aren’t true and don’t represent the actuality of the circumstances.
Any logical person is going to be able to differentiate between 18-20 year olds saying something vs. 20,000+ cordial fans in an inviting and amazing atmosphere.
If they don’t see that, they are looking for an excuse to be offended, much like many people here are, and that can’t be prevented. If it wasn’t this, it would be a dozen other things
Not what I said and I'll respectfully request you not put words in my mouth again. I know many App fans who won't ever travel to Statesboro again because of the way their student section behaves. I do not want Appalachian State University to have that same reputation.
I don’t think you understand the term “put words in my mouth”. I didn’t say you said that, (that would putting words in your mouth) I said it was “like” saying, which if you go back to high school English class, is an analogy; or a comparison of two things using “like” or “as”.
My point was making a broad judgement based off of a small sample, is not indicative of a the total subject matter...

WVAPPeer
School: Other

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am

Did any of you see the replay of the Troy player on the sideline and what he did during or at the end of the LSU game? - now that is something that can't be defended ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:34 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:33 am
Did any of you see the replay of the Troy player on the sideline and what he did during or at the end of the LSU game? - now that is something that can't be defended ---
Didn’t catch that. What happend?

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:38 am

I'll see if I can find the video and post it - he was facing the LSU stands and continually gave them both fingers while alternately grabbing his crotch and humping ---
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

AppDawg

Unread post by AppDawg » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:39 am

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:01 am
Goapps15 wrote:
Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:03 pm
Thank you! Exactly the point I have been making. Saying a chant to essentially no one is no where near physically attacking or harming anyone. It isn’t a slippery slope that leads to physical assault like everyone is making out.
One is physical the other isn't, but both lack class.

I view it as what Georgia southern is known for (among us and other Georgia Southern rivals) occurs in the stadium away from the TV camera. Only those in attendance and sitting in sections close by experience it. The classless Kick off chant on the other hand is broadcast world wide. Thus, in marketing lingo, has the opportunity to make many many more "impressions."

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am

here is one video - I saw a longer one of ESPN ---
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2017 ... disci.html
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

apps32

Unread post by apps32 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:04 am

Are we really at the point of trying to justify the behavior of our students by comparing them to GSU students? What our kids do is OK because a GSU kid did something worse?

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 am

WVAPPeer wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:43 am
Not a snowballs chance in hell he would ever play for me again.

WVAPPeer

Unread post by WVAPPeer » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 am

bcoach wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:57 am
WVAPPeer wrote:
Not a snowballs chance in hell he would ever play for me again.
Nor me --- of course we all remember (at least I do) when Ol Deano did nothing when his guy did that to Coach K's wife --- Mkatar Njike (???)
"Montani Semper Liberi"

The Dude Abides!!!

t4pizza

Unread post by t4pizza » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:46 am

I have read this entire thread and honestly wish I hadn't wasted the time. Is it a good chant? no. Are they college kids saying chanting? yes. Do similar type of chants occur in student sections at any game with a big student section? yes. Should students be censored? NO. Is it comparable to throwing things, fighting or otherwise intimidating individuals? No. Can any intelligent adult quickly ascertain that it is students making the chants and not the rest of the crowd? yes. I really think we are making a mountain out of a molehill. Heck, I remember back in the FCS days when JMU came to town (and even with Furman at times), the students chanted "F**k you JMU" or "F**k you...FU" and clearly that is much worse. Heck when I was in school my fraternity sold t shirts with "Furman Sucks" on the front and "Marshall Swallows on the back", and sold a lot I might add. Students are literally young and dumb and do stupid things and I am sure that includes everyone on this board while at App. Surely there are much bigger issues on our campus to worry about then a kickoff chant that calls the other team names.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:00 pm

WVAPPeer wrote:
Unbelievable. Not even subtle. Did he forget it is 2017 and everyone over the age of 8 has phone that records on them at all times?
What is even more shocking is a redshirt freshman who has not recorded any statistics this season is the one celebrating like this.
Also, how did no assistant coach, water boy, or towe manager see this happening and tell him to knock it off? I feel like as many grad assistants and teams employ, someone would have seen this and shut it down.
This must be almost as embarrassing for Troy as our chant is for us...

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm

The Rock wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:08 am
APPdiesel wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
I don’t think you understand the term “put words in my mouth”. I didn’t say you said that, (that would putting words in your mouth) I said it was “like” saying, which if you go back to high school English class, is an analogy; or a comparison of two things using “like” or “as”.
My point was making a broad judgement based off of a small sample, is not indicative of a the total subject matter...
People argue off-topic when they know they're wrong. You're arguing the validity of a "YOU SUCK A**HOLE" chant. Just stop. You're wrong.

The Rock

Unread post by The Rock » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:59 pm

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
People argue off-topic when they know they're wrong. You're arguing the validity of a "YOU SUCK A**HOLE" chant. Just stop. You're wrong.
This isn’t a right or wrong issue. And if you read my early statements, I do not approve or enjoy the chant, I just feel like it isn’t as big of a deal as many are saying. It is a matter of personal feeling. It wasn’t an off topic argument as I was comparing what we were discussing. And I was responding to your accusations of “putting words in your mouth”.
In my experience, people try to steer the discussion towards personal attacks and away from the actual subject when they can’t actually address what another party is saying. Its the equivalent of saying “nuh-uh” or “your mom” on the playground. (Again, that is an analogy, not putting words in your mouth).

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:03 pm

Agree to disagree (though I'm not entirely sure we're actually disagreeing). Moving on.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:50 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:30 pm
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
The Rock wrote:
APPdiesel wrote:
Good advice, Diesel!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Sat Oct 14, 2017 3:26 pm

Gillin just called out the chant on the pre-game show.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”