Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

South Ala and Troy

Goapps15
School: Appalachian State

Re: South Ala and Troy

Unread post by Goapps15 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:45 am

I had a feeling Troy would be flat vs USA. Very difficult to get up to that level especially after beating LSU. Congrats to USA for taking advantage.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 am

Definitely good for us that Troy has a loss, it seems like A-State will drop one to either Troy, NMSU or South Alabama. We definitely need to win out obviously, but Troy getting a conference loss already is huge.

WataugaMan

Unread post by WataugaMan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:57 am

We just need to stay focused and win out, fingers crossed!

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 am

Remember Troy followed up their win over us last year by losing 35-3 at home to stAte. At least then they had the short week as an excuse.

Maybe Brown is better at getting his team up for the big ones than keeping them focused for the rest.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am

The Troy loss helps App to possibly win the Sun Belt outright. Obviously App must win out (which would take care of ULM) and stAte needs to take a conference L to make that happen.

However, from a potential financial impact, I would have been fine being co-champs with the Trojans if Troy would make the Access Bowl to bring some extra money to the conference. Doesn't look like the Belt is going to finish ahead of anyone in the conference rankings so that extra $4mil would have given each program an extra $300-$400k.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

ComebackShack

Unread post by ComebackShack » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am

moonshine wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:26 am
The Troy loss helps App to possibly win the Sun Belt outright. Obviously App must win out (which would take care of ULM) and stAte needs to take a conference L to make that happen.

However, from a potential financial impact, I would have been fine being co-champs with the Trojans if Troy would make the Access Bowl to bring some extra money to the conference. Doesn't look like the Belt is going to finish ahead of anyone in the conference rankings so that extra $4mil would have given each program an extra $300-$400k.

Even had Troy won last night and was able to win out, they would most likely not make the access bowl. USF and UCF as well as Navy and SDSU and even Memphis were much more likely to go than any of them. 90% it’s one of them even if Troy is 11-1 or even 12-0 at the end of the season.

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am

It's a 10 hr. drive to Mobile from Lenoir. The USA game might be worth the trip this year. It could be for the SB championship.

For those fans traveling down there this year, there is the best restaurant down there. Felix's. It's on the causeway, near the tunnel to downtown. Looks like an old shack from the outside. Inside is top notch. Who knew Mobile is in Creole country? My younger son says Felix's is worth the 10 hr drive all by itself. I would agree, except that he did not have to drive that times we have been down there. But, if you are there anyway, Felix's is the place for dinner.

MDaniels84

Unread post by MDaniels84 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:01 pm

If I recollect correctly, App does not play S.Ala this season.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:08 pm

AppAlum1 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:47 am
It's a 10 hr. drive to Mobile from Lenoir. The USA game might be worth the trip this year. It could be for the SB championship.

For those fans traveling down there this year, there is the best restaurant down there. Felix's. It's on the causeway, near the tunnel to downtown. Looks like an old shack from the outside. Inside is top notch. Who knew Mobile is in Creole country? My younger son says Felix's is worth the 10 hr drive all by itself. I would agree, except that he did not have to drive that times we have been down there. But, if you are there anyway, Felix's is the place for dinner.
We don't play them. And that win last night made them 1-1 in SBC play, after going 2-6 last year.

I will take your son's word on Felix's, though. ;)

AppAlum1

Unread post by AppAlum1 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:18 pm

Oops. Sorry then. But Felix's may be worth the trip.

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Thu Oct 12, 2017 1:34 pm

ComebackShack wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:45 am
Even had Troy won last night and was able to win out, they would most likely not make the access bowl. USF and UCF as well as Navy and SDSU and even Memphis were much more likely to go than any of them. 90% it’s one of them even if Troy is 11-1 or even 12-0 at the end of the season.
I understand it's a long shot and would take some outside factors to make it happen. My point was that Troy would have to win out to have any shot. If giving them a (long) shot at bringing the conference an extra $4m meant App (assuming we took care of business) had to share another co-championship, I'd be ok with that outcome. Especially considering how piss poor the Sun Belt has performed OOC this season.

I felt the Belt had a good chance to repeat last year's success with regards to conference rankings, especially with all the veteran QB's returning. I thought App would beat Wake and go 3-1 but instead App is 2-2. Hoped Troy would beat Boise and go 3-1 (ends up they lost to Boise and beat LSU). I was hoping stAte would go 3-1 or at worst 2-2 but will now be 1-2 since the U cancelled. Figured GS would go 2-2 at worst but now will be 1-3 at best if not 0-4. Thought GaSt might be able to squeeze out a 2-2 but will go 1-2 with Memphis cancelling. Based off of last season, Idaho should have been no worse than 2-2 but will likely end up 1-3 this year. That's a 5-6 game swing the wrong way in helping the conference achieve a #2 or #3 ranking and bringing in extra dollars for our respective programs.

Those are dollars our program will miss out on. Giving Troy the possible opportunity to rep the Sun Belt in the Access Bowl and splitting a co-championship supersedes me wanting App to win the conference outright. Either way, App's players get a ring. The difference being, if Troy miraculously made the New Year's bowl, our guys get rings and the AD gets $300k+ which would help soften the blow of our pathetic OOC record.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Non-Appalachian General Discussion”