Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

yosef13
School: Appalachian State

Re: App v GS rivalry needs a trophy

Unread post by yosef13 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:19 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:09 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am
I'm surprised at the response. I did not realize so much of our fan base thought the idea was so lame. The jug seemed to be fun for the player, coaches, and the fans. It also seems that the best rivalries in college football have something similar at stake. I guess I misread the level of interest.
For one thing, the rivalry with Western was a true geographical rivalry. Both schools relatively near each other slugging it out for supremacy in the mountains. The jug was a natural and very appropriate trophy. We have none of that with GS. These things just dont work when they are contrived. Just beating them is fun enough.
True, we are not geographically compatible with GS, but I did not realize that was part of the criteria for a rivalry. ND and USC, Tenn and UF, UM and OSU, and the list goes on.

While we are not close in proximity with GS, the competition between the schools has been fierce. It seems natural to celebrate the game with a symbol. I don't see how doing so would be contrived, since the rivalry already exist. Now if we did this with Troy or A-State that would be completely contrived.

I wonder what the reaction was when jug idea was introduced in the 70's.
Unless I'm mistaken, ND-USC is the only one of the rivalries you mentioned that has a trophy.
Correct, but I provided a list of 60 games with trophies, and not all of those games are schools that are close in proximity. This just seems like a way to create more tradition, which a lot of people complain we don't have enough of. I think unusual traditions like this can only help our brand.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:17 pm

yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:36 pm
AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 3:05 pm
yosef13 wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:31 am
I'm surprised at the response. I did not realize so much of our fan base thought the idea was so lame. The jug seemed to be fun for the player, coaches, and the fans. It also seems that the best rivalries in college football have something similar at stake. I guess I misread the level of interest.
For one thing, the rivalry with Western was a true geographical rivalry. Both schools relatively near each other slugging it out for supremacy in the mountains. The jug was a natural and very appropriate trophy. We have none of that with GS. These things just dont work when they are contrived. Just beating them is fun enough.
True, we are not geographically compatible with GS, but I did not realize that was part of the criteria for a rivalry. ND and USC, Tenn and UF, UM and OSU, and the list goes on.

While we are not close in proximity with GS, the competition between the schools has been fierce. It seems natural to celebrate the game with a symbol. I don't see how doing so would be contrived, since the rivalry already exist. Now if we did this with Troy or A-State that would be completely contrived.

I wonder what the reaction was when jug idea was introduced in the 70's.
I never said we don't have a rivalry with GS. Obviously, we have a great one. However I was pointing out that the Western rivalry was different because we were natural rivals to start with and it was because we are so close together and in the same region of the state. Same thing with Troy & South Alabama, UNC-Duke, etc. It always seems to be more intense when you have that. The thing with GS only developed over time when we were often battling it out for the SoCon and we had so many close games. To me that is a different kind of rivalry and I just don't think cooking up some kind of hokey trophy thing is appropriate. A few years down the road, I could see something like that between us and UNCC, if and when their program gets to a level with us and we played every year. You don't even have to be in the same conference... Florida-Florida State-Miami love triangle, for instance.

I do like the concept of the Black and Blue Bowl someone came up with earlier, though.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm

You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:08 pm

proasu89

Unread post by proasu89 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 6:14 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:22 pm
You know what would "help our brand? Getting away from the uniform/helmet of the week mentality that we have now. That big white block A on the black helmet and those black uniforms was our brand and became known. I have no problem with a special uniform for one game a year, but you have to protect the brand. GS has that with their classic plain uniforms.
I agree with almost everything you post but am going to take the opposite position on this. I sense that the boys on the field enjoy the different combos and that we’re kind of becoming the Oregon of the east coast with our different combinations. I will also state that I’ve had a couple of cocktails and may be completely off base. :D

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm

AppinATL wrote:

That doesn't mean they have a better brand or uniform than us; it just speaks to your personal preference.

As far as the white A goes, we've never once worn it as an FBS team. I loved it too, but it's probably time to accept that the black A is going to be around for a while.

AppinATL

Unread post by AppinATL » Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm

EastHallApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:30 pm
AppinATL wrote:

That doesn't mean they have a better brand or uniform than us; it just speaks to your personal preference.

As far as the white A goes, we've never once worn it as an FBS team. I loved it too, but it's probably time to accept that the black A is going to be around for a while.
(sigh) I'm not saying I love the GS uniform. I am saying they have never strayed away from it with the exception of a special game a year lately. That has been their uniform pretty much since they re-started their program. When you hear "Yankees" you immediately envision the pinstripes and NY on the left breast. "Dodgers?" The script lettering across the chest in dodger blue with the red number underneath, etc. That's what helps strengthen a brand. We're wearing something different every week. And I have accepted the black block A. I just mentioned the white one because that was our logo when we won the national championships and the UM game and it was on the cover of SI and that's how the world saw us for the first time. What I really HATED was the idiotic black A on the black helmet with no outline. They could have saved somebody a lot of work and just left the helmets logo-less for all the good that did.

But I guess I'm just really settling into my old fogey stage of life. Nothing is sacred anymore.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:00 pm

AppinATL wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 7:52 pm
EastHallApp wrote:
AppinATL wrote:

(sigh) I'm not saying I love the GS uniform. I am saying they have never strayed away from it with the exception of a special game a year lately. That has been their uniform pretty much since they re-started their program. When you hear "Yankees" you immediately envision the pinstripes and NY on the left breast. "Dodgers?" The script lettering across the chest in dodger blue with the red number underneath, etc. That's what helps strengthen a brand. We're wearing something different every week. And I have accepted the black block A. I just mentioned the white one because that was our logo when we won the national championships and the UM game and it was on the cover of SI and that's how the world saw us for the first time. What I really HATED was the idiotic black A on the black helmet with no outline. They could have saved somebody a lot of work and just left the helmets logo-less for all the good that did.

But I guess I'm just really settling into my old fogey stage of life. Nothing is sacred anymore.
They can do what they will but my A will always be white. I also notice the A on the brand new video board is white.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:02 pm

Different brands are built different ways. Oregon and Boise State do things differently than, say, Alabama. But they all have strong brands.

For that matter, I wonder how many different combos of orange/purple/white Clemson has worn the past couple years?

I know one thing: I'll take our brand over Southern's and their Bama wanna-be unis every day of the week.

EastHallApp

Unread post by EastHallApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:04 pm

With that said, I'm on team #NeverWhiteOut.

CheckYosef94

Unread post by CheckYosef94 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:56 pm

I agree that our rivalry with GS needs a trophy. Are rivalry trophies always the coolest thing? No. But it does create extra hype where we can sell more tickets/shirts/merchandise/etc. Plus, college football is supposed to be fun and sometimes playing for a goofy trophy adds a little fun.
The mountains are calling and I must go

SayYesToTheRock

Unread post by SayYesToTheRock » Fri Oct 13, 2017 1:08 am

Interestingly, the wikipedia article says the game is referred to as "Deeper Than Hate."
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appalachi ... ll_rivalry

I support a trophy. The weirder the better. Paddle, JugBucket, whatever.

Going with the "Teacher's College" theme, a Chalkboard Trophy might be cool. You could write the score of the most recent win on it, with all-time results on the edges or back.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:40 am

AppinATL wrote:
Totally agree, AA. Saturday from where I sat in high 215, I couldn't make out our logo on the helmets.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:44 am

EastHallApp wrote:
AppinATL wrote:

Then at least put it on a white helmet. :!:
Google SUX

hapapp

Unread post by hapapp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am

I had no problem seeing the logo and I am at the very top of 206.

bigCasu

Unread post by bigCasu » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:30 am

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:58 pm
I think it would be cool if the trophy was awarded to the loser, and the loser has to display it until they win again. A trophy nobody wants.
If you lose, you get the teachers paddle to represent the butt whooping you just received.

bcoach

Unread post by bcoach » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:30 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am
The solid black no outline?

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:53 am

I am not in favor of a paddle as it represents corporal punishment. I have not used a paddle in the classroom for the last 38 years.

If we must have a trophy then choose a jug of some kind.
Bring Your A Game!

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 10:00 am

hapapp wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:17 am
It stood out like a deer hunter hiding in the bushes. I could see it, but it sure didn't stand out. Looked like a third grader drew it.
Google SUX

NoLongerLurking

Unread post by NoLongerLurking » Fri Oct 13, 2017 4:19 pm

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”