Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

Boone to Moscow

Oldlknapp
School: Appalachian State

Boone to Moscow

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am

Boone to Moscow Idaho would seem to be one of the tougher trips in the entire NCAA. Can anyone share information about the logistics of moving the team, staff and equipment to Idaho?

appknowledgeispower

Re: Boone to Moscow

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am

I can't speak directly, but as someone who has handled travel for college teams in the past it probably is something similar to the following information:

Charter Plane (Flying out of Hickory, Greensboro, Charlotte, Winston-Salem)
-Most likely a stop to refuel (although could be wrong)

Equipment truck would leave several days ahead of time to make the long drive

Football teams usually stay 20 minutes to 1 hour away at a full service hotel. That way said hotel has spacious meeting space, full service dining, etc.

Equipment staff sets up visitor locker room the night before with all items for football as it is a large amount of gear

Mostly all meals will take place at the hotel in order to maximize time for rest, meetings, film, etc.

Usually after a game post-game meals come to the bus and it is off to the airport to fly out on Charter Plane

asu66

Unread post by asu66 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:40 am

Oldlknapp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 10:59 am
Boone to Moscow Idaho would seem to be one of the tougher trips in the entire NCAA. Can anyone share information about the logistics of moving the team, staff and equipment to Idaho?
Like this--the team, anyway!

If it happens to the Apps, it happens to me!

fjblair

Unread post by fjblair » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:55 am

The process is the same as for any other road game that involves flying. The post above pretty much covers the basics.

T-Dog

Unread post by T-Dog » Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 pm

Unlike some teams, App doesn't have an 18-wheeler carrying equipment because they don't need one. Several Sun Belt teams have had their 18-wheeler drive all the way to Moscow. In 2014, South Alabama had theirs drive to Moscow, Idaho, then straight to Boone for the following week's game.

The box truck App has have doesn't even fill up, so they pack everything on the plane.

Also, Idaho chips in for away teams to travel as per their Sun Belt contract.

appfanz

Unread post by appfanz » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:25 pm

So do we suppose the New Mexico State’s 18 wheeler drove from Arkansas (last week) to Boone and now to Statesboro, where they play this weekend?

AppfaninCAALand

Unread post by AppfaninCAALand » Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm

T-Dog wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 12:19 pm
Unlike some teams, App doesn't have an 18-wheeler carrying equipment because they don't need one. Several Sun Belt teams have had their 18-wheeler drive all the way to Moscow. In 2014, South Alabama had theirs drive to Moscow, Idaho, then straight to Boone for the following week's game.

The box truck App has have doesn't even fill up, so they pack everything on the plane.

Why would App not need as big a truck as everyone else?

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:06 pm

AppfaninCAALand wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 2:33 pm
T-Dog wrote:

Why would App not need as big a truck as everyone else?
Obviously the other teams are compensating in certain areas and we just do not need to do that. :D
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

HeffnerIV

Unread post by HeffnerIV » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm

appknowledgeispower wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am
I can't speak directly, but as someone who has handled travel for college teams in the past it probably is something similar to the following information:

Football teams usually stay 20 minutes to 1 hour away at a full service hotel. That way said hotel has spacious meeting space, full service dining, etc.

Equipment staff sets up visitor locker room the night before with all items for football as it is a large amount of gear

Mostly all meals will take place at the hotel in order to maximize time for rest, meetings, film, etc.

Usually after a game post-game meals come to the bus and it is off to the airport to fly out on Charter Plane
Thanks. Why would they need to stop to refuel? Just a smaller jet?

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

T-Dog wrote:

Yeah, you know I was actually wondering about that. Why do we just have a box truck when everyone else has an 18 wheeler? What do they have that we dont?

On a side note, here's a site of all of the SBC equpiment haulers which is pretty neat.
http://www.atlantamafia.com/Sunbelt_Transports.htm

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm

Does Georgia State have two trucks? It looked like both a box truck and a tractor trailer truck in the pics.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Thu Oct 12, 2017 9:05 pm

NewApp wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:58 pm
Does Georgia State have two trucks? It looked like both a box truck and a tractor trailer truck in the pics.
Just a box truck. I think us, GA State and Coastal have box trucks. Then there's Idaho with the lawn service trailer.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:53 pm

Why are we questioning efficiency? We roll a box truck into their town and win, and they need an 18 wheeler to travel to Boone and lose. That's fine by me. Maybe our equipment crew can take home a few more dollars to their families this way.

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 3:53 am

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:53 pm
Why are we questioning efficiency? We roll a box truck into their town and win, and they need an 18 wheeler to travel to Boone and lose. That's fine by me. Maybe our equipment crew can take home a few more dollars to their families this way.
:lol: :lol: Good one!
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

HkyMtneer

Unread post by HkyMtneer » Fri Oct 13, 2017 5:04 am

CVAPP wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:53 pm
Still doesn't answer the question. I've been curious about this too...not in a "Why don't we have an Semi!" way but more of a "What are we doing differently" way. Is it efficiency? Is it that we don't have some of the "extras" that these other programs have or that we just don't feel we need to travel with every little thing that we may/may not need. I'm all for doing what makes the most sense, both financially and logistically, but one does wonder what a few us of Belters are doing differently.

appknowledgeispower

Unread post by appknowledgeispower » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:30 am

HeffnerIV wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:13 pm
appknowledgeispower wrote:
Thu Oct 12, 2017 11:36 am

Thanks. Why would they need to stop to refuel? Just a smaller jet?
Sometimes on long charter flights, depending upon plane size, the charter will have to stop and refuel. Remember Moscow, Idaho isn't close to the distance that Texas is when flying.

Rick83

Unread post by Rick83 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:55 am

It cracks me up how this board meanders around different topics...now we're discussing jets and trucks for away games? LOL. While we're on the subject of trucks, and this isn't a big deal but it does take away from the beauty of The Rock, but there's always a big service truck of some kind parked on the hill between the bathrooms and home side bleachers. Is it really necessary for it to be there on game day? Purely an aesthetic thing for me but I love the way our stadium looks and feels except for the truck (and the track of course, yes I said it).

Oldlknapp

Unread post by Oldlknapp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:47 am

Seems I remember our box truck with all the FCS championship rings on it. There was a photo of it on campus at Michigan.... nuf said!

huskie3

Unread post by huskie3 » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:59 am

Rick83 wrote:
Fri Oct 13, 2017 7:55 am
It cracks me up how this board meanders around different topics...now we're discussing jets and trucks for away games? LOL. While we're on the subject of trucks, and this isn't a big deal but it does take away from the beauty of The Rock, but there's always a big service truck of some kind parked on the hill between the bathrooms and home side bleachers. Is it really necessary for it to be there on game day? Purely an aesthetic thing for me but I love the way our stadium looks and feels except for the truck (and the track of course, yes I said it).
I guess they are not a member of YOSEF and do not have parking permit for anywhere else. :roll:
Bring Your A Game!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Appalachian Football”