Here is the link to the fall sports streaming schedule.

https://appstatesports.com/news/2023/8/ ... edule.aspx

NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

APPdiesel
School: Appalachian State

NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

Unread post by APPdiesel » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Recall UNC thumbed their noses at the NCAA in regards to the 20+ years of fraudulent academic courses designed to keep athletes eligible saying it was basically "none of their business".

Today the NCAA fired back in a big way:

"When a member institution allows an academic department to provide benefits to student-athletes that are materially different from the general student body, it is the NCAA's business.

When athletics academic counselors exploit 'special arrangement' classes for student-athletes in ways unintended by and contrary to the bylaws, it is the NCAA's business.

When a member institution provides student-athletes an inside track to enroll in unpublicized courses where grades of As and Bs are the norm, it is the NCAA's business.

When a member institution uses 'special arrangement' courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes eligible, it is the NCAA's business.

When a member institution fails or refuses to take action after receiving actual notice of problems involving student-athletes, thereby allowing violations to compound and to continue for years, it is the NCAA's business."

Full document:
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... p3/a364332
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

McLeansvilleAppFan

Re: NCAA to UNC: "It is our business"

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:19 pm

I don't have time to read all of this, but just skimming the language is a lot harsher than I thought the NCAA would use against UNC-CHeat. Though I am still not sure if that means the NCAA will actually do anything to the school.

I feel like this is as much about how the other Prig5 schools want to punish UNC-CHeat for getting an advantage, but they do not want push too hard against UNC-CHeat in case they are caught with their pants down and at that point they would like lax enforcement themselves.

I hope my cynical view of this is incorrect and the NCAA handles this in a fair, honest, and equitable way. Based on what I know that should include some pretty stiff penalties, much more than has been doled out than recent memory has been done.
This is my very generic signature added to each post.

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:58 pm

I basically read the whole article. This could/should be devastating to UNC and seems like their arrogance and delay tactics throughout this marathon investigation have antagonized the NCAA. Not Smart. I don't know the difference between level 1 and 3 violations, but severe penalties; particularly to Men's Basketball, Football and Women's Basketball should be levied.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Wed Jul 26, 2017 2:33 pm

ASU3432Mi wrote:I basically read the whole article. This could/should be devastating to UNC and seems like their arrogance and delay tactics throughout this marathon investigation have antagonized the NCAA. Not Smart. I don't know the difference between level 1 and 3 violations, but severe penalties; particularly to Men's Basketball, Football and Women's Basketball should be levied.
I do think the delay has ruffled feathers, especially when it is generally expected to self impose, and certainly not put up a fight for so long . Bubba looks to have pissed off some with his actions, and that was in the Greensboro paper this morning. I think the part about not wanting to push back the deadline with new charges (Bubba talking to the media) is pretty damning that the NCAA is tired of this and tired in a way that the hammer could fall hard. Still, I just don't think it will be that hard.

I envision all the Prig 5 schools weighing on a balance like the Greek gods of lore between the amount of hurt they had at the hands of UNC-CHeats doings for the past two decades and what could happen when they themselves are caught in a very similar scandal.

I just hope the axe that fall does not land west of Chapel Hill. I don't even want WCU to have to deal with any reprecussions of this, and something about the politics of this state and UNC-CHeat thinks that the harder it goes for UNC-CHeat the more "reforms" will come the way of clean programs in this state.

APPdiesel

Unread post by APPdiesel » Wed Jul 26, 2017 10:57 pm

Hopefully this means the holes won't get off so easily as telling the NCAA to mind their own business.
"Sports talk's most decent producer" on 97.1 The Fan Upstate

http://www.twitter.com/dieselonradio

Appdoggy

Unread post by Appdoggy » Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 pm

So how many years later? The NCAA is such a joke.

appfanjj

Unread post by appfanjj » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:27 am

Proud to be a Mountaineer!

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:40 am

I find this one interesting.

"When a member institution fails or refuses to take action after receiving actual notice of problems involving student-athletes, thereby allowing violations to compound and to continue for years"

This could open up UNC for more punishment to the current regime after UNC "quit" cheating. It would explain why Fedora was asked to attend the COI hearing even though he was not at UNC during the alleged time frame of cheating.

I also read into it that they feel UNC should have self imposed and not been eligible for post-season play last year and if that is the case, they could void the most recent Championship... :shock:

ericsaid

Unread post by ericsaid » Thu Jul 27, 2017 3:08 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan wrote:I don't have time to read all of this, but just skimming the language is a lot harsher than I thought the NCAA would use against UNC-CHeat. Though I am still not sure if that means the NCAA will actually do anything to the school.

I feel like this is as much about how the other Prig5 schools want to punish UNC-CHeat for getting an advantage, but they do not want push too hard against UNC-CHeat in case they are caught with their pants down and at that point they would like lax enforcement themselves.

I hope my cynical view of this is incorrect and the NCAA handles this in a fair, honest, and equitable way. Based on what I know that should include some pretty stiff penalties, much more than has been doled out than recent memory has been done.
A theory I heard is that the reason for the delays in investigations and punishment into UNC is because the former AD who all of this began under is currently the Commissioner of the ACC.

CVAPP

Unread post by CVAPP » Thu Jul 27, 2017 5:13 pm

ericsaid wrote:A theory I heard is that the reason for the delays in investigations and punishment into UNC is because the former AD who all of this began under is currently the Commissioner of the ACC.
Sounds and seems entirely plausible. Especially since one of UNCheat's stated concerns is the current SEC Commish is playing a leading role in the investigation.

AtlAppMan

Unread post by AtlAppMan » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:42 pm

NCAA to UNC-CH.

We are going to write you a very strong letter.
hansblix.jpeg
hansblix.jpeg (29.32 KiB) Viewed 6947 times

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:31 pm

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:07 pm

ASU3432Mi

Unread post by ASU3432Mi » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:26 pm

Confusing.

NattyBumppo'sRevenge

Unread post by NattyBumppo'sRevenge » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:30 pm

UNC had scheduling conflicts...funny how that happens when you have to actually go to class.

hotrod2001

Unread post by hotrod2001 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 2:17 pm

Appdoggy wrote:
Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 pm
So how many years later? The NCAA is such a joke.
I wonder if they're starting to feel the heat from the FBI probe and don't want to look like they're complacent in the eyes of those who actually know how to punish people for being delinquent.

McLeansvilleAppFan

Unread post by McLeansvilleAppFan » Thu Oct 12, 2017 4:29 pm

Maybe tomorrow...

moonshine

Unread post by moonshine » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:12 am

BREAKING NEWS: (shocking) :shock:

According to Dan Wolken: NCAA "could not conclude" academic violations in UNC case.

According to Darren Rovell: UNC paid more than $18 million in legal fees in their academic scandal case.
Picked up via free agency by the High Country All-Stars

NewApp

Unread post by NewApp » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:19 am

APPdiesel wrote:
Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:11 pm
Recall UNC thumbed their noses at the NCAA in regards to the 20+ years of fraudulent academic courses designed to keep athletes eligible saying it was basically "none of their business".

Today the NCAA fired back in a big way:

"When a member institution allows an academic department to provide benefits to student-athletes that are materially different from the general student body, it is the NCAA's business.

When athletics academic counselors exploit 'special arrangement' classes for student-athletes in ways unintended by and contrary to the bylaws, it is the NCAA's business.

When a member institution provides student-athletes an inside track to enroll in unpublicized courses where grades of As and Bs are the norm, it is the NCAA's business.

When a member institution uses 'special arrangement' courses to keep a significant number of student-athletes eligible, it is the NCAA's business.

When a member institution fails or refuses to take action after receiving actual notice of problems involving student-athletes, thereby allowing violations to compound and to continue for years, it is the NCAA's business."

Full document:
http://www.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... p3/a364332
FWIW, the link wouldn't down load on my computer. I got a "Bad Gateway" response. Hope no one else got that response.
NewApp formerly known as JCline
If you can't take it, don't dish it out.
Google SUX

YesAppCan

Unread post by YesAppCan » Fri Oct 13, 2017 9:23 am

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Other Schools' Athletics”